Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

As suggested, either IT or Shorthand. - Both are excellent, and

Posted: Jul 23rd, 2017 - 1:38 pm In Reply to: word expanders - Betty

my advice is to not lose a single day getting one of them.

I've had Shorthand well over a decade and have always been very happy with my choice. They both do most things the same but do have some trade-offs. IT has a vocabulary-building capacity many wouldn't be without. Shorthand is simpler to learn and easier to get right up to speed on, but I chose Shorthand to be able to use the number, symbol and function keys in my short forms, greatly expanding my choices.

Both allow you to have a little window open so you can see what your short forms are as you type. SH's closes if you wish, which I do since I want my eyes on the text at all times, and IT's also probably does. Like I said, both are what you need. Asap.

Shorthand does have a 30-day free trial, and very likely IT also does since no doubt it's also addictive. :)

http://www.pcshorthand.com/sh10reg.html

If you try SH, here're links to ready-made "dictionaries" of abbreviations to use to get started. (That last one's not needed. You can include standard Word keystroke combos in your short forms to do things like capitalize, to "back up, replace comma with period, cap next word," etc.)

I've never used Mary Morken's but understand that, like the system I made up, it's based on patterns, so that knowing the pattern you can guess what a short form will be and can add new ones conforming to the pattern. (For instance, I know I usually take the first letter or pair of letters of a long word, the dominant syllable, and letters I've assigned to pre- and suffixes, such as "j" for -ation. So I know prestidigitation would be prdigj even though I don't know what that word means.)

http://www.pcshorthand.com/thirdparty.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)