Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help

Good question. - mechanical keyboard lover

Posted: Jul 7th, 2017 - 9:49 pm In Reply to: Keyboards - is it worth switching to mechanical if you already use a scissor switch? - Tired Chicken

I don't really know, have only ever typed briefly on scissor switch, which is great too, so probably just personal preference there.

I love the tactile feedback of my clicky Cherry blues. I think my love of mechanical is a holdover from first starting out on Model M keyboards. Which you can still sometimes find cheap on eBay and such, but Cherry switches really are a lighter touch and worth it. Typing on any mushy rubber dome/membrane keyboard is torture for me. Again, what little I've tried of scissor switch I liked too, nice and light feeling. Just not sure how that would be for me for transcription, especially.

If you do get a mechanical, I would definitely recommend getting some O-rings to put on the keys to cut down on the key travel distance and the sound. I bought some cheap ones from a hardware store that hardened and cracked and split after about a year, so my current WASD ones are really worth the little extra expense, been going strong for me for over 2 years now (I'm using the blue 40A-R ... direct link below). I install mine with some simple slant-tip tweezers (blunt-tip would work too, but not pointy tip or sharp ones like Tweezermans) to push the ring fully down on each key shaft.

LINK/URL: Good question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)