Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

W3School is used by universities - pretty universal starting point

Posted: Jun 17th, 2017 - 11:48 am In Reply to: Thank you for posting this info - MT

I found out about W3School from my daughter in college. She took 3 semesters of web design and was offered (did not seek) a plum job (not internship) with a very prestigious city organization, while she still has a year of college to go. Web/tech was not her major. She replaced someone who was not very good at it, who had learned all the bells and whistles software at a 2-year school but did not know the basics, the simple theory that makes design consistent, compliant, and future-proof. Which helps illustrate how there are all levels of designers. You can go the "instamatic camera" route with Wordpress where you don't really have to code but don't have much freedom either (nothing wrong with that), or have everything color coded and sort of pre-macro'd for you with a beauty like Dreamweaver (which one would use eventually anyway, but without learning the basic language of its coding it would be like teaching yourself to ride a horse: The horse knows what to do, you could get from A to B, but it might not be pretty, it might not be safe, you'd miss a lot of opportunities, and you wouldn't win any competitions. And there's no excuse not to learn right with practically free tools like Head First). Pretty much everybody starts small, making web sites for friends and acquaintances (building a portfolio)(somebody always needs a web site), and building skills and confidence from there. You can go as far as you want, but once you know the basics, you're on your way. It's very much like driving a horse or a car: You have the exhilaration of actually driving the second you start, and it's all adding on from there. I made my neighbor an actual web site with a photo background, different fonts, colors, links, etc., after my first few W3School lessons. I left W3 for Head First very quickly, though; HF is just so cool and effective. But W3 is always there for reference when you need to know how to do something. There are references for EVERYTHING you ever need to do. It's all tools and problem solving. You add something, test and see if it works. There are validators to run tests to see if you did it really right...and if not they tell you what you missed! How cool is that? And hey, you can always take a classroom-class here or there to get your feet wet out in the big world and meet people if you feel like it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)