Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

You can do this... - Angie

Posted: Mar 21st, 2017 - 3:05 pm In Reply to: This for me is the worst it has been - MT

Unemployment: You can collect unemployment for work you did as an employee, but not as an IC unless you paid into unemployment on your taxes. I don't know what state you are in, but search for EDD (Employment Development Department) for your state and see if you can apply online. If you qualify (you do if it is no work but not on all terminations) see if you can apply online now. They do not pay for the first week of unemployment and if you wait to apply you lose benefits.

Food Stamps: Search for food stamps in your state. This can be completed online in many places. In my state they issue a card that is used like a credit card with a certain limit on it. They have some restrictions on what you can buy but you can buy any food product.

Health Insurance: Not sure of your age but if you are over 64, I believe, you can apply for Medicare. I added a plan called "Medicare Complete" which only costs $26.00 per month and they take out $100 for the medicare.

Food Banks: Search your town for a food bank. All I had to do was fill out a form.

Utilities: Try not to get delinquent as they will shut off utilities and charge you $50 or more to turn them back on. If you can't pay on time, call them and try to see if you can get an extension without shut off or the fee.

Home: Not sure if you rent or own, but one thing I did was rent out one room in the house for $400 a month. You may have to provide cable and an internet connection, but they can pay the monthly fees.

Top Ramen: When I didn't qualify for food stamps I pretty much lived on Top Ramen, the cheapest food you can get.

Senior Services: Not sure if you are a senior, but many towns have senior centers for those over 50 or 55. It would be worth checking them out for benefits.

Finally, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I've been there and am right back there again after my last account went to EPIC. It truly is the worst type of stress. Hope this info helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)