Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Critical vs Optional Commas - sm

Posted: Feb 21st, 2017 - 6:03 pm In Reply to: Ok. QA dinged me for the following....am I looking at this - right?

Admittedly, there are critical commas. Consider these two sentences:

1. The patient said her mother was insane.
2. The patient, said her mother, was insane.

Obviously, the commas make all the difference in the world.

Yours do not fall into that category. In fact, I don't even suspect they fall into the category of grammar at all. I think those commas fall into the category of MATHEMATICS.

Let's suppose you have 100 MTs who each complete 30 reports a day. In each report, they omit an average of 5 optional commas.

100 x 30 x 5 x 365 days/year comes to 5,475,000 characters per year.

Divided by 65 characters per line, that comes to 84,231 lines per year.

Billed at 20 cents per line, that comes to $16,846.00 worth of LOST COMMAS.

See what I mean? Math! Or, a year's worth of payments on a nice Mercedes for the owner, whichever you like.

A bit tongue in cheek perhaps...but not much.

To test this hypothesis, turn in a few reports like:

"The patient, is a 37-year-old, man who, was mowing his lawn, when he, accidentally cut, off his leg, and, was in, terrible pain."

If you don't get dinged by QA and are offered a supervisor position, the hypothesis is affirmed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)