Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Obsolete MT Equipment - Grateful MT

Posted: Dec 2nd, 2016 - 7:26 pm In Reply to: Old equipment - SadMT

Totally understand - You bring up a great point.  From over 20 years of working at home as an MT (and still doing so) I accumulated lots of transcribers, foot pedals, headsets, keyboards, etc.  I've gone through half a dozen computers, lots of printers and toner and ink, speakers, Boosteroo, batteries, modems, software programs, etc.  

I know half of this old stuff would be considered worthless today because of our digital world these days.  I do feel a little sad when I look at my old equipment, but it's a bittersweet sad.  I feel very attached to every single gadget and doo-dad I ever bought -- Ebay, Office Max-Depot, Best Buy, Dell, etc., that I used, wore out, broke, etc.  All this stuff helped pay the bills, keep the lights on, pay the rent, and keep my family fed as a single parent.  And not to mention what you learned in those years.

Things have changed for sure -- but all in all I wouldn't say it has been a bad 20 years as an MT working from home.  It has its moments certainly.  And every winter in my area, when it's snowing, and I'm able to log in to some MTSO (notwithstanding all those difficult issues) from my nice warm office room and type to earn some money, I'm so glad I don't have to go out somewhere work.

I'd say it's okay to pitch your old equipment - I know I eventually will too.  I just try to look back and see all that stuff as having been great tools for giving me a life--a living, a blessing in many ways.  Not every day was great, for sure, but I know I am really grateful for being able to work this way.  Just my thoughts.  Best wishes to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)