Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I agree with everyone else. Stay where you are - or look outside MT/IC.

Posted: Oct 18th, 2016 - 9:28 pm In Reply to: STAY - PUT!

I'm an employee now but have been an MT IC. Self-employment tax takes quite a chunk and deductions do not make up for it. As an employee I'm lucky (on a fabulous day) to average more than $15/hour, most days it's more like $12, and has been as low as $7. I've been an MT for more than 15 years, so I'm experienced and not doing a ton of research, etc. From what I've seen, IC doesn't pay more than what MTSOS are paying "employees" - all the benefit is going to the MTSO not having to offer benefits and PTO.

At least at the hospital you have a steady income, job security (as an IC, your "contract" can be cancelled on a whim), ability to find a new job within the hospital, benefits, etc. Make a list of pros and cons. I imagine up there on the pros is flexibility but keep in mind, most MTSOs will not treat you as a true IC and will want a schedule, which isn't too flexible after all. Plus you have no ability to collect unemployment in the event of termination/job loss.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sorry you dislike your job...it makes life not so fun. (I'm right there with you!) Can you perhaps do the MT IC thing on the weekends or part time for a while in conjunction with the FT hospital job and test the waters?

Whew! Sorry that was so long winded. I'm feeling passionate about this. Ha!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)