Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Just today... - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Oct 12th, 2016 - 12:11 am In Reply to: Serious questions require - serious answers.

I had taken my vehicle to get it inspected today and while waiting in the small waiting room, another lady showed up and we struck up a conversation. In that conversation, we talked about small talk, one being my job. I had mentioned that my job was outsourced about 3 years ago and she asked what I did. When I told her what and who I worked for, and the fact that this company had both US and Indian branches that typed medical records and some other info, she was shocked to hear that American medical records were going over there. She asked me what, if any, laws prohibited this and I had to tell her the truth...there were none. I told her some the stories of mistakes made by foreign workers, including the one from Precyse some years ago that lead to a patient's death...basically that they have no clue what they are doing and that N is hiring 3k Indians and investing millions there.

Long story short, it was a nice conversation. The kicker to this is the fact that the lady was of Indian descent and has lived in the local area for about 4 years now, previously living in Canada, and 2nd generation born here in America. She proceeded to tell me how she hated to see jobs going over there when there were so many people here looking for jobs. It shocked me to hear those words come from her mouth, but it was also refreshing in a way. Odd I know.

To the OP, wonderful post and very insightful questions that should be answered! There are a lot of things we do not get paid for because we are paid on production and there is NO WAY, NO HOW that any MTSO can explain to the labor board that pay for "those things" is figured into our line rate, or whatever they allow us for "inactive time." Bad thing is, in my state of VA, it is against state law for an employer to require work off the clock, including training...basically anything performed for your employer is to be PAID. The question about not being paid for deletions is a VERY good question and one I had never thought of before. MTs being paid production pay should have never been, because there is so much we do beyond typing reports and that should not be the only time we get paid (working in a document, that is). We should get paid for the research we do, FIESA, anything related to our jobs. We should also not be made slaves to our desks and chairs, afraid to take our hands off the keyboard for being yelled at over inactive time.

When it comes down to it, the hospitals are not saving themselves money. They hamper their own efforts to provide quality medical care to their patients by allowing a middle man, i.e. an MTSO, to handle their work. There are probably no less than 5-7 people that handle a report from beginning to end that are being paid, with the MT at the very bottom being paid a pittance while those reaping the rewards of OUR hard labor live in the laugh of luxury. Doctors need to voice their displeasure with the poor quality of these services to the people that matter. It still may not bring our jobs back, but it may mean that we get the pay, and maybe the recognition, we deserve.

N is by far the worst place I have ever worked, the worst I have ever been treated. I have worked at some bad places before, but this place takes the cake! Never before have I seen such ridiculous and unobtainable metrics, nitpicky rules that change on a whim and such inept managers whose only real answer to anything is to work harder and faster. I hope to leave N soon before I end up divorced or in the asylum taking my special candy and enjoying my padded room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)