Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Here's what I did, and you can do it, too! - sm

Posted: Jul 15th, 2016 - 4:11 pm In Reply to: You are underestimating your skills - see msg

Don't forget that you have excellent listening skills and an eye and ear for fine detail.  You can understand foreign accents.  You have exceptional time management skills and you're an expert at prioritizing your work duties.  Your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and editing skills are outstanding. 

Don't tell yourself you're sounding like a know-it-all.  To you it might sound that way, but to the employer it's impressive that you have positive self-esteem and self-confidence.  

Five interviews out of a hundred applications is normal, by the way. In fact, it's above average for some people!  I did the same thing when I was getting out of MT work after 30+ years and going to work in the public sector.  The more you build yourself up on your resume, the more attractive your skills will be.  Yes, you'll get the "regret" letters and you'll dread them.  But it's okay!  There are probably 500 people applying for one job.  The employer is looking for an exact match to the position.  It doesn't mean anything negative about YOU.  

I assume you're doing all of your applying online. I did that.  PLUS, I made up application packages and delivered them in person to the companies to whom I had applied online.  I dressed up in a suit and dropped off the package that consisted of a BRIGHT RED, SHINY folder stuffed with my resume, cover letter, and list of references.  After many interviews and rejections, and civil service tests (I applied at our university), I landed a job!  I've been here 6 years and love it.  I don't miss being an MT. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)