Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

How do you handle a defensive MT? - MT-SV

Posted: Apr 25th, 2016 - 3:32 pm

I am a transcription supervisor of a small hospital transcription department.  I have a problem MT that I'm having more and more difficulty dealing with.  She's been an MT for a very long time and never fails to remind the entire department of that fact.  She's a good MT, but she is by no means perfect and therein lies the problem.  She thinks she IS perfect and she refuses to acknowledge any mistakes on her part AT ALL!  She blames her mistakes on the dictators, on the other MTs ("who told me wrong"), etc.  Her mantra is "nobody ever told me that."  I put up with it for a while and smiled and tried to be diplomatic, but now when she gives the "nobody every told me that," I simply say "Well, I'm telling you now." Except, she will make the same mistakes repeatedly even after she's been told.  She puts reports under the wrong admissions and blames the dicatator for putting in the wrong number.  I've tried to explain to her that it is part of the job description of the MT to assure that we attach our reports to the appropriate admission and the correct patient.  I've been told when I walk away she says "whatever."

Today, the radiology supervisor brought me a report back that was a left ankle x-ray which she typed.  She titled it "LEFT ANKLE TWO VIEWS" and the proceeded to type in the body of the report "right ankle."  The radiology supervisor, said it was for the left ankle and needed to be changed.  When I asked her about it, she said when she typed it, she realized the order was for a left ankle, but the doctor proceeded to dictate "right" throughout the rest of the report.  She said she questioned it but in the end she decided  "I can only type what the doctor says."  So I asked her that if there she was confused or quested that report, why didn't she flag or bring it to my attention so that I could investigate it BEFORE we sent it back to the doctor for signature.  She said when she worked from home, her job was to type the reports and send them on - not think for the dictator.  It was the dictator's mistake not hers.  I asked her if she had been instructed to send reports to QA for any questions or confusion when she worked from home and she said, "Not for the company I worked for."

I'm dumfounded and at the end of my rope.  I don't want to go to HR to have her fired, but she borders in insubordinate.  I don't care about the eons of experience she has or how much she produces.  That only will earn you a modicum of respect from me.  I have more respect for someone who can own up to their mistakes and learn from them rather than those who refuse to acknowledge that make mistakes at all or blame everyone else for their mistakes!

I guess mostly this was a rant, but I'll take whatever advice or commens anyone wants to throw at me :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)