Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help

cvchost.exe -- I think I fixed it ... (from below) - Sandy

Posted: Jul 19th, 2015 - 8:04 pm

My computer was slowing down terribly, browser was actually stalling ... discovered that cvchost.exe was using over 1,000,000 k memory, even without connecting to the internet, and by googling, discovered that other people had had this problem with Windows 7 (and else, iirc) going back several years ... many suspected malware or a virus ... 

After scanning for malware and updating and using my norton, I googled again and found someone whose sub-processes were a lot like mine ... and he mentioned that he had his "windows updates" set to notify him when there were updates but to let him chose which ones (which is common enough setting if you're using an older version of IE and want to avoid being "upgraded" to version that doesn't work with your platform) -0- 

anyway,  after not using fixmypc (which found critical problems in my registry and fragmentation like crazy -- even though I had check about defrag/cleaned my registry) ... I ran Windows Update for the updates I wanted and ... problem solved itself -- I think it was going in circles "trying" to install updates.  

No one on any of the tech boards ever came back to say they'd fixed it ... but a lot of people have had this "glitchy" thing so I figured it was worth "memorializing" my fix -- I figured they had to have made it "go away" because it was very slow and very very noisy (the harddrive and fans were making a lot of "working hard" noises) 

bon appetit!! 

eta: I was "tipped" off to eliminate some advice when I realized it was not internet related, happened on start up and then (several days in a row) happened at around 8 pm ... like some form of scheduled task.. I was getting notification that there were "new downloads available" ...  I knew that whatever was happening was something 'new' happening to on my "unchanged" system ... so after I scanned for malware (found none) and did a complete Norton scan ... and checked for any recent downloaded software, etc. ... a light went on. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)