Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Here's what I use - anon

Posted: Jul 5th, 2015 - 12:06 am In Reply to: Google or...? - jen

I have tried Bing and Yahoo and DuckDuckGo and I just find Google to work the best for me. The only search engine better is a customized version of Google that I came across here a few months ago. It's called Medical Transcription Word Seeker. I like its various refinements that help you narrow down your search across various categories. Here's the link.

Link

A few tips if you give this a try and are using this,

First, when you do a search there (link above), you'd notice that the search results are from mostly health websites. You'd find .gov websites and .org websites, which are generally more reputable and trustworthy than .com websites; however, you have the usual .com websites as well in there. What you wouldn't find there are sports websites, business websites, entertainment websites. So it keeps the search tightly focused on health websites.

Another thing you'd notice, which is unique to this search engine, are refinement links at the top of the results page. When you click on one of these, it narrows down the search results even further to websites on the topic clicked.

As an example, clicking on the "Doc & Hospital Search" refinement will show results from doc & hospital finder websites specifically.

Similarly, clicking on the refinement, "Medication Searcher" shows search results from just medication websites. There are also other refinements like "Medical Abbrev," "Dictionaries," "Do-Not-Use Abbrev," "Nursing Home Search," among others.

Do note that all these refinements may not show up on all search results, but on search results matching closely to the query. So, for example, if you search for medications, the refinement tab "Medication Searcher" shows up and you can click and refine search results from just med sites. Though, I am not really sure about this as I've noticed it fluctuate from day to day.

To search across all sites again, you'd have to click the "All Results" button. This is important to reset the settings to its default setting of searching across all sites. If you do not do this, it searches just the specific subset of websites that the refinement link is about.

Another notable difference from Google search is that when you type in a query, you get auto suggestions that are of relevance, not non-medical words or phrases. You can try typing a few letters and see the autosuggestions that come up. For example, typing "sample reports" would give you suggestions of the various types of sample reports available and you can choose a specific one if you want to refer to it.

Finally, if you do decide to use it, bookmark it, as you certainly won't remember its address as it's quite complicated and long. I have lost and found this multiple times, though now I have it on my bookmarks! Try it, you may like it!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)