A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hyphen - "He is Ortolani and Barlow negative." - MTASK

Posted: Jun 26, 2010

Would this be hyphenated or not? Any rules per BOS for this? TIA. "He is Ortolani and Barlow negative." "He is Ortolani- and Barlow-negative."

I vote for no hyphen - Grady nm

[ In Reply To ..]
j

I second that emotion. (nm) - heyho

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I would put the hyphens since they are suspensive - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Suspensive? Where is the suspense? That hyphen does not turn it - into a thriller.---sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just having a little giggle here - sorry.

Haha, giggling, too - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
never heard of the expression "suspensive hyphen?"
How come?

I tell you what it is, this will make you stop giggling, read below, FYI:

"Single-space after a suspensive hyphen (one used to connect a series of
compound modifiers with the same base term):

We used 3- and 4-inch bandages."

THEREFORE I would put hyphens:

"He is Ortolani- and Barlow-negative."

You see, stop giggling, you just learned something new.
thank you. At the time, it was easier and more fun to - giggle than to look it up!
[ In Reply To ..]
j
I admit, it was really funny, I giggled a lot - see mess
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

google: Among Barlow-negative children with no family history - like "heme-negative"

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Depends on sentence placement - Oracle

[ In Reply To ..]
Although there are always exceptions to any English grammar rule, a quick rule of thumb is:

If the compound word is directly in front of the noun it modifies, it is hyphenated; if it appears later in the sentence, it is not. ie:

Barlow-negative children.
Children that are Barlow negative.

Hemoccult-negative stool.
Stool is Hemoccult negative.

A well-developed male.
The patient is well developed.

I am referring to OP's QUESTIONS ONLY - geeezzzz!!!!

[ In Reply To ..]

we all know this.

BTW
You are wrong with heme-negative:

heme-negative and MANY others are ALWAYS hyphenated, no matter where and how they stand:

BOS

"Stool is heme-negative."

correct, like panic-stricken - nomes
[ In Reply To ..]
This is a panic-stricken patient

Patient is panic-stricken.

Always hyphenated, like many others.

Similar Messages:

Ortolani And ?Barlow?
Jul 18, 2010

Sunday morning - brain isn't working yet.  Thanks for any help! ...

S/l Negative Ortolani
Jan 14, 2010

It is under the physical exam section for a 6 month old baby well child exam. thanks for any help! ...

Apprehension Test Is Negative. *Falk* Sign Is Negative. Speed Test Is Negative. Thanx. Nm
Nov 30, 2011

nm ...

His Hips Have Symmetric Abduction. Galeazzi Is Negative. Provocative Exam (s/l V-CHIP) Is Negative
Dec 04, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Negative McMurray. Negative S/l Rosling Or Roswing
Feb 28, 2013

Negative McMurray.  Negative s/l Rosling or Roswing ...

Non-ossified To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 21, 2010

Is non-ossified hyphenated? ...

Re- Words? To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 25, 2010

Some "re" words seem to be pretty well used, such as "readmission" not "re-admission" or "replaced" not "re-placed" but how do you tell when to add the hyphen? I've come across "reexploration" and it doesn't seem right without the hyphen, but I can't find any references that support it either with the hyphen or without. ...

Stupid Ortho - Negative Spurling, Negative S/l "ver Meets"
Nov 13, 2009

thanks for any help! ...

ORTHO HELP: Negative [s/l Fair] Sign, Negative Fabere Sign?
Jun 02, 2012

OK.....   It's an orthopedic chart note. Patient has a chief complaint of  hip pain. Dictated: He has a negative [s/l fair, fairs, varus?] sign, a negative fabere sign. It doesn't sound like fadir; I'm not hearing that "d." I already had to leave two medication blanks and hate to leave another one for an orthopedic sign that I feel like I should know! Thank you in advance for your help and ideas!   ...

Pt Has Negative Froment's Sign And Negative S/l Jean Sign.
Sep 14, 2010

x ...

Negative Finkelstein's. Negative "CMC Gram." Not Sure On This, Anyone?? TIA!
Dec 02, 2014

nm ...

To Hyphen Or?
Oct 21, 2009

The sentence is " Two and a half years ago she had knee replacement." Should the two and a half be hyphenated? I never know how to write that. Or, should I rearrange the sentence to " She has knee replacement 2.5 years ago." ...

Hyphen?
Dec 02, 2010

three-days post or three days post???? ...

Hyphen Help!
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry don't see a grammar board to post this on at the moment, so posting here. How would you transcribe the bolded phrase? "She does have a small central tear which, again, is likely from an acute on chronic-type/acute-on-chronic-type? injury from work."  Thanks in advance!! ...

Hyphen Help Please....
Dec 19, 2011

What is the proper way to hypenate non-weight-bearing? I have found it several ways, just started working for a new company and their dictionary spell check has no hypens at all in it...I sooooo hate hyphens. Thanks in advance for the imput :) ...

Hyphen Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is cancer-free.  The patient is cancer free.  The patient is pain-free.  The patient is pain free.  ???? ...

Hyphen Woes...
Jan 21, 2010

Is it well-healed incision or well healed incision? Is it right hand dominant or right-hand dominant? how do i know when to put in a hyphen? i never used to use many hyphens, and all of a sudden QA has started noticing!! ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

S/l Hyphen Budding?
Feb 15, 2010

Patient with a rash.... sounds like "KOH exam shows positive hyphen budding" does that sound right? thanks for any help! ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...

Hyphen Question..
Dec 23, 2010

straight-leg raise power, or straight-leg-raise power? any help appreciated ...

Hyphen? 2-3-mm Calculus?
Mar 26, 2011

If using AAMT Second ed,  how would you hyphenate  2-3 mm calculus?  Thanks ...

AutoCorrect Hyphen
Mar 24, 2011

How do I create a hyphen for my age macro in AutoCorrect. I need to have a macro formatted as -year-old. I have Word 2007. Thank you so much! ...

Color Changing Changes - Hyphen?
Feb 10, 2010

she had extreme tenderness on her foot with erythematous color changing changes... I have never used two variations of a word together like this and it is confusing me.  ...

One Word, Hyphen, Or Space?
Jul 02, 2010

Diagnosed with tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty..... Is post angioplasty correct or should it be one word????  I have also found it with a hyphen so any help would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Hyphen In Postop? (BOS Says Abbreviations)
Nov 29, 2010

Should we put a hyphen in preop and/or postop? My spellchecker says it is OK without, but it is hard to read w/o one IMO. BOS says to use a hyphen when joining a prefix to an abbreviation, so would this count as an abbreviation in this case? Or is it more like a shortened form of the word? ...

Hyphen With Right Angle Clamp
Jan 25, 2012

Hello!  Having some hyphen trouble.    Here is the sentence:  ... and the pedicle of the ovary and tube were cross clamped with right-angles.  Does right angles need a hyphen.  I know if it is "a right-angle clamp," then it needs a hyphen, but what about if it comes later like the sentence before.  Is it "clamped with right angles" or "clamped with right-angles?"  Is this capitalized?  I did not think so! Also, is it supposed to have an "s" on i ...

Common Hyphen Error
Nov 03, 2012

I used to teach grammar and I now do MT work.  One of the most common hyphen errors lies in the short arm cast, long arm cast. This does not get hyphenated.  By hyphenating it (short-arm cast), one is actually stating there's also a long arm.  It's a short (or long) cast that is worn on the arm, not a cast for a short arm or a long arm.   ...

Hyphen In End Stage Renal Disease?
Oct 29, 2010

I always have a hard time remembering whether there is a hyphen between "end" and "stage" in end stage renal disease.  Anyone? ...

Hyphen - Moderate-to-severe Trabeculation
Oct 27, 2011

Which way should moderate to severe by typed in this context? 1.  moderate to severe trabeculation 2.  moderate-to-severe trabeculation I was just dinged by QA (would prefer not to say which one yet), and really need to know.  Also, I was always advised when typing a CBC, either all items should be expanded to thousands or none.   It must be consistent.   Is this also true? Thanks for the consult! ...