A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hyphen - moderate-to-severe trabeculation - Dinged

Posted: Oct 27, 2011

Which way should moderate to severe by typed in this context? 1.  moderate to severe trabeculation 2.  moderate-to-severe trabeculation I was just dinged by QA (would prefer not to say which one yet), and really need to know.  Also, I was always advised when typing a CBC, either all items should be expanded to thousands or none.   It must be consistent.   Is this also true? Thanks for the consult!

hyphen - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not put hyphens.

Agreed. No hyphens. Why would there be? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing to modify.

because moderate-to-severe behaves as one adjective - english 101

[ In Reply To ..]

I would use the hypens and always do for something like that and - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
never been marked as an error.

Compound adjectives... - English major

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, you would use hyphens in this case: "moderate-to-severe trabeculation" because "moderate-to-severe" is a compound adjective modifying the word "trabeculation." If it were worded differently, i.e., "The trabeculation was moderate to severe," then you would omit the hyphens. Google compound adjectives for more info. Hope this helps!

Both ways - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I never put hyphens in before (and worked in cardiology for 20 years), but noticed on my new VR cardiology account that the VR puts them in. So what I do: If the VR system puts the hyphens in there, I leave it; if not, I don't add them. There is one QA who has corrected me (with the hyphens), but it was just that one QA out of several, so I still do it both ways. I've never heard of the CBC expansion 'rule'. I've always transcribed as the physician dictates.

This is an example... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Of petty nit-picking by someone who should not be QA if she is wasting time (not to mention wasting her company's money, collecting an hourly wage) for ''dinging'' for trivialties that do not affect meaning or obscure clarity. While many (myself included) prefer hyphens for compound modifiers, either way is acceptable and would not obscure meaning in any way. The QA should be reported, and if she continues with such petty nonsense, she should be fired.

Similar Messages:

Hyphen - Mild-to-moderate Hearing Loss
Mar 31, 2010

Is mild-to-moderate hearing loss correct or should it be mild to moderate without the hyphens? ...

Non-ossified To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 21, 2010

Is non-ossified hyphenated? ...

Re- Words? To Hyphen Or Not To Hyphen?
Oct 25, 2010

Some "re" words seem to be pretty well used, such as "readmission" not "re-admission" or "replaced" not "re-placed" but how do you tell when to add the hyphen? I've come across "reexploration" and it doesn't seem right without the hyphen, but I can't find any references that support it either with the hyphen or without. ...

Abbreviation -- Severe AS??
Oct 16, 2013

Having a brain fart -- ? help ...

Mild To Moderate
Oct 12, 2009

I am confused with the rule and cannot find an answer in the AAMT BOS 2. In the sentence, "The pain is mild to moderate" do you hyphenate this or not? It does not modify a noun immediately following it, but is there another rule or reason to hyphenate. I want to hyphenate it but am not sure.   ...

Moderate Firm Or Moderate-firm Or Moderate, Firm
May 18, 2011

The doctor dicates:  "Left thigh reveals moderate firm swelling."  Should there be hyphen, comma, or nothing between moderate and firm?  I've looked high and low for the answer.  Thanks! ...

Low- To Moderate-grade?
Aug 26, 2011

Hi, I have a question that is driving me bonkers trying to figure out. I transcribe radiology, and the following phrase is used frequently: "..... mild to moderate grade...." by one particular doctor. Does anyone have any ideas about the proper way this phrase should be transcribed? For example, mild- to moderate-grade; mild to moderate grade; mild-to-moderate-grade? Thank you for any help! ...

In Moderate Malaise?
Sep 21, 2011

Pt who had shoulder surgery earlier in the day now comes in with vomiting x5 hours.  In the PE, doc says "Pt in moderate s/l muh-lez, but no acute distress." Could he be saying malaise or is there another term I am unfamiliar with? ...

Severe S/l Magiocytic Hypoplasia...
Feb 24, 2010

.. ...

S/l Venous Severe Cosities
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks for any and all help!!!!! ...

Severe Ear Infection Treatment
Apr 01, 2011

Need the drug name for what sounds like "Odreno cef 750" for treatment of severe ear infection.  ...

How Would You Type This? '0' Moderate Leukocytes
May 25, 2010

doc states in lab: "zero moderate leukocytes." Would I type the word "zero" or the number "0" or type the number "0" as "0.0" ...

Mild To Moderate Htn Or Plaque Or Anything
Aug 28, 2013

Lately, I have been getting dinged for not putting hyphens in mild/moderate to moderate/severe plaque or moderate to severe htn or mild to moderate anything.  I don't understand why we would need hyphens.  In that case, shouldn't "anything to anything" need hyphens? ...

Charcot Joint With Severe Rosemary
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds like doc is say Charcot joint with severe "rosemary."  Has anyone ever heard of this? What could it be if not rosemary?  Thank you. ...

S/l Endocurrent Severe LV Systolic Dysfunction
Jan 30, 2010

Endocurrent?   ...

Please Help. Severe Dystonia And S/l Creaform Movements
Aug 03, 2010

S/l creaform movements. Used numerous times in this report. Claimant has severe dystonia and creaform movements. Claimant has obvious dystonic and creaform movements. Gait is somewhat reeling with creaform movements of the upper extremities.   Thanks. :)   ...

Help! Patient Has Severe RA And S/l Win Suf Deformity Of Pelvis? Nm
Jun 08, 2012

.. ...

MRI - This Did Show Some Mild To Moderate Changes With A Grade I
Jul 04, 2011

with s/l parafusion of the disc space.  TIA   ...

On CT Of Chest, There Is Severe Biatsee Atosis And Splenomegaly Seen.
May 10, 2012

On CT scan of chest:  There is severe "biatsee atosis" spleenomegaly seen. ...

Transannular Patch With Moderate S/l Horn Regurgitation.
May 07, 2010

nm ...

Abdominal Ultraound, Fibroids, Moderate Right S/l A/miss/al Free Fluid?
Jan 08, 2013

Abdominal ultrasound notable for uterine fibroids, moderate right _________ free fluid, multiple gallstones within the gallbladder, with at least 8 measuring 6 to 7 mm with enlarged hepatic duct measuring 6.2 mm. I keep hearing a/miss/all but doc is very hard to understand.  Any thoughts?? ...

To Hyphen Or?
Oct 21, 2009

The sentence is " Two and a half years ago she had knee replacement." Should the two and a half be hyphenated? I never know how to write that. Or, should I rearrange the sentence to " She has knee replacement 2.5 years ago." ...

Hyphen?
Dec 02, 2010

three-days post or three days post???? ...

Hyphen Help!
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry don't see a grammar board to post this on at the moment, so posting here. How would you transcribe the bolded phrase? "She does have a small central tear which, again, is likely from an acute on chronic-type/acute-on-chronic-type? injury from work."  Thanks in advance!! ...

Hyphen Help Please....
Dec 19, 2011

What is the proper way to hypenate non-weight-bearing? I have found it several ways, just started working for a new company and their dictionary spell check has no hypens at all in it...I sooooo hate hyphens. Thanks in advance for the imput :) ...

Hyphen Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is cancer-free.  The patient is cancer free.  The patient is pain-free.  The patient is pain free.  ???? ...

Hyphen Woes...
Jan 21, 2010

Is it well-healed incision or well healed incision? Is it right hand dominant or right-hand dominant? how do i know when to put in a hyphen? i never used to use many hyphens, and all of a sudden QA has started noticing!! ...

Hyphen Is ER/PR Positive?
Feb 08, 2010

Is it ER/PR-positive with the hyphen or ER/PR positive without the hyphen?  I can't ever figure this out. ...

S/l Hyphen Budding?
Feb 15, 2010

Patient with a rash.... sounds like "KOH exam shows positive hyphen budding" does that sound right? thanks for any help! ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...