A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is correct way to type medication --- x 5 days? - sue

Posted: Sep 13, 2012

What is the correct way to type medication x days?  i.e. Pt was given Lasix 20 od x 10 days. OR Pt was given Lasix 20 mg od x10 days.

Lasix 20 mg p.o. x10 days (o.d. = right eye) (no space between x and 10) - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Medication...sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure there will be disagreement but I learned way back there that x should never be used if you can replace it with the word "for." For example: Lasix x 10 days should read Lasix for 10 days. Knee surgery x 2 should be kept as such because surgery for 2 would not make sense. It's an old rule and rule's change constantly but I keep with that one.

Agree, this is how I was told. - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
We were told to use the same rule of thumb: If you can substitute the word "for" in place of the "x," then you should type "for," even if the dictator says "times." In the facility where I worked, though, if they said "p.o.," we were supposed to type it out "by mouth." (But that's just the client specifics on that. I'm guessing some facilities prefer "p.o.")

I would just add what the previous poster said, too....that when it's appropriate to use "x," there's no space after the "x," i.e., it would be "knee surgery x2."

Similar Messages:

What Is The Correct Way To Type Hepatitis C "type 2A/2C Or IIA/11C?
May 14, 2010

. ...

Correct Spelling Of Medication Cephoxolyn
Sep 21, 2011

I can't seem to find the correct spelling of this medication.  Sounds like cephoxolyn or spelled phonetically suffoxalin.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance. ...

Correct Way To Type This:
Jul 16, 2010

Should this be typed (5/10 or 5 out of 10) for: which decreased her pain to about 5/10 or 5 out of 10. ...

How Do I Correct Type
Jul 30, 2010

doctor dictates 15 to 17 millimeters from... is this just 15 to 17 mm from...    or what?? I am obviously suffering from heat induced stupidity. THANKS!!! ...

Correct Way To Type C1
Apr 11, 2011

What is the correct way to type, when doc says C1-2, 3 ? ...

Correct Way To Type Co Q-10?
Apr 18, 2013

I find all sorts of ways to type this in the I-net, and I have it in an old expander as Co Q-10, but spellcheck suggests CoQ 10 - which places the 10 on the next line  - does anyone know for sure how this is typed?  Thanks... ...

Correct Way To Type Kilo-ohm
Mar 17, 2011

I am trying to find the correct abbreviation for kilo-ohm.   Any suggestions? ...

What Is The Correct Way To Type This Drug? Sm
May 30, 2012

It is written in the patient's chart as "carbevo." I know it is for Parkinson disease. Carbidopa and levodopa. I googled it and found carb/levo. I'm not sure if I should type it that way or type it out completely. The doctor is pronouncing it as "carbevo" also. Any information would be helpful. Thanks! ...

Correct Way To Type 1/2-inch Leg Length...
Apr 07, 2010

is this the correct way to type 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy?   She has a 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy with the right leg being shorter than the left.   tia. ...

Correct Way To Type 4 #50 Nylon Sutures?
Nov 01, 2011

States "four number five oh nylon sutures"  What is the correct way to type this?  Thanks! ...

How Would You Type, 69- Nearly 70-year-old Woman? Would That Be Correct? Thanks! Nm
Sep 22, 2012

.. ...

ECG - Correct Way To Type S123 Pattern
Nov 06, 2012

Unsure if this would be S1, S2, S3 or S123 or S1-2-3 or ??   JD ...

How Do You Put 20-year-old In Auto Correct/expanded Type?
Jul 21, 2011

sx ...

Silent Type MTs - Meeting The Minimum Requirements These Days?
Sep 14, 2012

Are any of you ST MTs even meeting the minimum requirements these days? How many more excuses can there be for the lack of work? Summer was supposed to pick up - it didn't. Now it's the Jewish holidays, then I'm sure it will be the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Also, we never did hear about that "something spectacular" in June. ...

Type Of Medication?
Nov 12, 2010

attempted hyaluronic acid with minimal relief, s/l kermiel and ziel with no relief, cortisone injections no help, as well. Thanks for any help.... ...

Type Of Medication
Jan 01, 2011

increase neo to MAP of 70? is it Neo-Synephrine and what is MAP? ...

She Is "10 Days Post-hysterectomy". Is This Correct Typed Like This? Thanks! Nm
Apr 19, 2010

x ...

Correct Way To Type "Tri Mix" Injection For Erectile Dysfunction ?
Oct 25, 2010

:) ...

Correct Way To Type "ST And T Wave", Sm
Feb 02, 2014

is it ST-T wave, ST and T-wave, or is there a preferred format? Thanks. ...

What Is The Correct Way To Type Swingbed, Swing-bed Or Swing Bed?
Feb 14, 2014

Doctor Says RF X3. Do I Type RF X3 Or Type Out Refill X3
Jun 23, 2010

nm ...

If It Is Dictated Type 2 Or 3 Acromion, Do You Type 2 Or 3 Or II Or III?
Sep 08, 2010

TIA ...

HELP: If ECG Is Dictated, Can I Type As Is, Or Type In Full?
Nov 09, 2010

If ECG is dictated, can I use the abbreviation, or type in full? ...

MMSE Is Pertinent To "an Abunzant" Type Dementia Of Alzheim'er Type. :/ ESL
Apr 22, 2010

MMSE is pertinent to "an abunzant" type dementia of Alzheim'er type. ...

Type 2 Or Type II Diabetes
Nov 20, 2009

Which is the correct way to type...type 2 or type II diabetes? tia. ...

Anyone Type For Silent Type?
Aug 10, 2010

Wondering if anyone out there has any feedback about working for Silent Type?  I have done the test and have been told I will interview in two weeks when the position becomes available... I think there is a mandatory 2 day training in NJ?  Anyone done this and survived?  How's the pay?  I was considering going to work for MedQuist because they are taking over one of my current IC accounts but after reading in the MedQuist section I think I'll skip that one.  Th ...

PAY DAYS
Feb 08, 2010

Forget how to look up pay dates - is it on MQ Central?  Thanks in advance. ...

NJA - 2 Days In A Row!
Mar 30, 2010

I'm on a roll!!  Almost out of PTO.  No vacation or anything for me this year.   BULLCRAP! ...

NJA How Many Days In A Row Now?.............
Jul 15, 2010

i'm devastated. forget bills, they don't need to be paid, right?  much less food that doesn't need to be bought.   ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days When
Nov 12, 2010

every other report is tragic? Tonight I just want to quit, so depressing. I hate doing child death reports, alcohol-involved MVAs where someone dies, drug overdoses where the person dies, attempted suicide, severe brain damage/paralysis from fall, all in one shift, all young people!! Giving extra hugs to my children and hubby tonight.  Sometimes I want to go back to doing just clinic work. Thanx for the vent and someplace to take a break. ...