A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Affect/Effect Drives Me Bonkers...anyone have a - easy tip to remember the difference?

Posted: Apr 06, 2010

nm

The easiest way for me... - affect/effect

[ In Reply To ..]
is to remember that, in most cases in our work, effect is a noun and affect (except in the psychological sense, i.e., "the patient's affect was flat.") is a verb. The effect(n.) of the drug, versus how the drug will affect(v.) you.

affect=influence effect=result sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
this is what i use to teach others: most often affect is a verb and effect is a noun. affect means influence, effect means result. so try replacing those words in the sentence to determine which one is correct. for example, "The affect (influence) of the medication had no effect (result)."

hope that helps

affect/effect - KD

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had a lot of luck with this website for this and other topics: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

Quick & easy to look up when your brain stops working for the day :)

Similar Messages:

To Affect Or To Effect, As In To Effect Change, I Have Seen Both. Nm
May 18, 2011

xxx ...

Effect Or Affect?
Nov 11, 2009

1) The patient will be given medication to effect bowel movement prior to discharge today.   OR--   2) The patient will be given medication to affect bowel movement prior to discharge today. ...

Affect Vs Effect ?
Nov 24, 2009

Just finishing up the night shift and want to go to bed and let the Sudafed take me away.  I'm thinking it's affect (the noun), but just want some input to be sure (overtired paranoia setting in).  Of course, this is the last note of the night too.  If I weren't tired, I know I wouldn't be doubting myself.  I have given her a note to that affect. - or - I have given her a note to that effect. Thanks! ...

Affect/Effect
Jun 10, 2010

The doc I work for frequently says "and he will increase the dosage until he experiences exessive side effects or good affect." I know the first "side effects" is correct, but I believe the later he means "good effect" and he just says it incorrectly, but I question myself each time. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me? I am most appreciative! ...

Affect And Effect
Oct 08, 2010

Significant artifact affecting the resting phase of the study. Is this correct or should it be effecting?  This is not a test. It is an actual report I am doing this morning.  My mind is shot. ...

Affect Or Effect
Apr 05, 2011

Is there an easy way to know if you should use affect or effect? ...

Affect Vs. Effect
Feb 11, 2012

I have been an MT for years and years and years (not telling my age haha) but I still to this day have the hardest time with affect versus effect...anyone have any genious tips on which to use when would be greatly appreciated??? For instance:  It is hard to determine what affect/effect the medication will have or how it will affect/effect the patient's outcome. The only one I am really positive about is when it has to do with the patient's affect. Thanks you are all the best ...

Effect Verses Affect
May 24, 2010

"no mass affect was noted."  Is it affect or effect?  ...

Mass Effect Or Affect? Nm
Aug 14, 2012

Goal Is To Hopefully "affect" Or "effect:" A Cure.
Apr 14, 2011

:) ...

Is This 2012?? The Entire Communications Phone, TV And Now MQ Have Gone Bonkers Today! Sm
Sep 26, 2010

Very strange things going on where I live in the South.   This morning AT&T phone is not working right, My unfortunate status as on dial up is hopeless and the two phone lines I have seemed to be crossing each other.  Bad static, fax line noises.  Trying to connect and can get only 19K!!!   Can't get anything to pull up.   Called Support and addressed this problem.  Called AT&T and they did say there are problems in this area, and it migh ...

This Drives Me Crazy DQS
Dec 01, 2009

What the ASR typed: sodium was 137, potassium five.  It does this all the time.  Why would it put the numbers on the sodium and spell out the number for the potassium?  ...

Drives Me Nuts
Dec 03, 2011

I have this one doctor that I get all the time who will say - The patient uh you know uh has you know.. Really?  No, I don't know what the patient has.  I'm not the doctor seeing him. ...

This Drives Me Crazy!!!
Nov 03, 2012

It just drives me nuts when a doctor says "Patient has a history of whatever in the past."  Duh, isn't that kind of redundant?  History is always in the past.  That's why it's history!  ...

Drives Me Crazy
May 16, 2014

begins and then those pile on with pleas for a job.  Below Frustrated was discussing whether there were any good workers around any more and whoop de doo mad rush of "I e-mailed you about working for you"   Can we just DISCUSS subjects and businesses without people chiming in with the give-me give-mes? Every comment about a company is followed by pleas for ways to get into these companies.  Due diligence - apply, fill out application, take test, quit trying to weasel in on a ...

New Hard Drives
Aug 07, 2014

I haven't received my new hard drive yet. Are the main programs already loaded on. ...

Am I The Only One That This Drives Nuts? It Just Goes
Nov 21, 2014

all through me when someone is dictating and they just start laughing.  It is like shut up and speak clearly! ...

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES (SM)
Dec 10, 2009

Can you install a program such as a photo shop or print shop to an external hard drive and use it that way? My computer is a little too full to install another big program on it. Is there any special technique to do this? Thanks ...

This Dictator Drives Me Nuts
Jun 29, 2014

Every other word is um, ahhh.  Then it's next paragraph, next paragrah, next paragraph. Then it's period, uh period, uh period.  Then he repeats next paragraph and period several more times.  Between and his other yucky habits, I really wish they would ban him from dictating.  ...

Assigning Jobs Drives Me Nuts
Feb 10, 2011

It's just not fair that a couple of people get almost 100% of OP notes throughout the day and I get 2 or 3 total, and those are only because they are miscoded as discharge summaries!  What do I have to do to become a "favorite?"  Gee, why can't I be loved by my MTSO like that?      ...

Inconsistent Nitpicky QA Drives Me To Drink...
May 09, 2014

S/L Jurger's Effect
Jun 05, 2012

Need HELP!!!   He is saying The only thing to consider would be tensioning the tendon with a repeat surgery, however, this may lead to decreased flexion and S/L Jurger's effect ...

If Our New Insurance Goes Into Effect 7/1, Is There
Jun 22, 2012

any sort of waiting period after that, or can we start using it that very week? I would like to go get an overdue mammogram since this is the first time I've had insurance in a few years. ...

Affect And ?? Appear Appropriate
Jul 22, 2010

"Gait and coordination are intact.  Affect and ----- appear appropriate."  Almost sounds like "episode."  Part of a regular physical examination. You can tell I've been stuck on Ortho for a year, because I've forgotten how to do physical examinations.  Ugh. ...

Since The First Time Right Went Into Effect, I Am Proud
Mar 05, 2010

to say that none of my reports have been submitted to QA.  I am amazed at how quickly I became multilingual.  Thanks MQ.  ...

S/l Sylatory Or Syatory Effect
Dec 02, 2010

Doctor states:        In this setting, she appropriately said that she is not certain whether the midodrine, which she has recently begun, has had a x/l sylatory or siatory effect.  Any help is appreciated.  The patient has severe orthostatic hypotension if that helps and this doc is a cardiologist. Thank you ...

Side Affect
Dec 21, 2009

She has severe arthritis in the hips which is chronic and was attributed to previous use of steroids and due to cause (divedious). What could this word be? Does anyone know? ...

How ICD-10 Will Affect Transcription
Sep 04, 2013

Just wanted some thoughts on this article with regards to transcription. Scroll down to How Will The New System Help... http://www.m-scribe.com/blog/bid/214013/Medical-Documentation-and-Coding-Demand-Will-Increase-with-ICD-10 ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Affect Appears To Be Somewhat Elusive?
Mar 03, 2010

Does this make sense?   The patient's affect appears to be somewhat elusive. This is what it sounds like he is saying. tia. ...