A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

8-month-old on a medication that sounds like sametadine... not cimetadine does anyone have a clue - lv

Posted: Jan 13, 2011

Doing a report on 8-month-old child, is on a medication that sounds like sah-met-a-deen. it is not cimitadine.

Do you have any other information - See message

[ In Reply To ..]

Any indication as to what the medication is used for?

Can you hear?:  famotidine, ranitidine, cimetidine

Spitting up by Infants (Regurgitation, Reflux or GER)

Description

Regurgitation or reflux is the effortless spitting up of one or two mouthfuls of stomach contents. Formula or breast milk rolls out of the mouth, often with a burp. It usually occurs shortly after feedings. Reflux is most common in children under one year of age and begins in the first weeks of life. More than half of all infants have reflux to some degree.

Cause

A lack of closure of the protective one-way valve at the upper end of the stomach (known as the Lower Esophageal Sphincter) is responsible for regurgitation. This condition is also called gastroesophageal reflux (GER) or chalasia.

Symptoms and Treatment

Regurgitation can cause symptoms such as heartburn, arching, fussiness, coughing & wheezing, or decreased appetite. Sometimes when this regurgitation causes pain or the infant not to eat, we use medications to help decrease the acidity of the stomach contents, increase the tone of the valve, and help the stomach empty. These medications do not ”cure” the problem, but control the symptoms until such time that the infant “outgrows” the condition. Rarely, if the infant does not respond to medications, and the symptoms are severe enough, surgery may be indicated.

Medications

When basic measures fail to control symptoms, medication may be indicated. Usually, two types of medication are used. Acid-blocking medications (famotidine / Pepcid, ranitidine / Zantac, cimetidine / Tagamet, omeprazole / Prilosec and lansoprazole /  Prevacid) suppress stomach acid and prevent it from doing damage to the esophagus and lungs. Pro-motility agents (bethanechol, metoclopramide / Reglan, cisapride / Propulsid) help to strengthen the tone of the lower sphincter and increase gastric emptying. For children these medications are by prescription only.

All of these medications are safe in infants and children and have only minor side effects.

how do you know it's not cimetidine? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Medication Sounds Like
Apr 20, 2011

pt has tachybrady syndrome and also has a pacemaker. s/l mel-fur-eek acid   Thanks. ...

Medication Sounds Like Zesticks. Do Not Know What For. TIA Nm
Apr 22, 2010

xx ...

Medication Sounds Like *foltase*??? Thanks. Nm
Oct 28, 2010

nm ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of A Medication That Sounds Like ... (SM)
Jan 02, 2012

"microniazid." The doctor is very clear, I have searched for this for over an hour because I swear I have seen it or something close to it before. Any would would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated!! TIA ...

Medication Sounds Like Delzo?
Apr 23, 2013

I have a report where the dictator (clear speaking) says delzo as a med.  I have no idea what it is, do not want to send it in because its a long report and the whole thing will count agains me.  Can anyone help out?  thanks ...

Need Medication Help, Sounds Like Vitosa Or Bitosa Or...
Jul 11, 2010

I have looked under every vowel and checked bitosa, batosa, victosa and on and on.  It is taken at dose of 0.6 mg subcu for 1 week and titrate every week by 0.6 until maximum dose of 1.8.  Decrease to lower dose if develops any nausea.    I have no clue.  Pt has diabetes, under poor control for 12 years and lupus.  If any help, thanks in advance.  It is typed in a list and thats all I know. ...

Medication Sounds Like Isotrol? Cannot Find
Jul 25, 2013

Help is appreciated. ...

MEDICATION LIST SOUNDS LIKE DIMENCHON?
Apr 16, 2015

Medication or herb sounds like dimenchon. clear speaker. No indication patient has dementia, does have liver disease and complex regional pain syndrome. Chronic pain. Hyperalgesia. ...

Anyone Get MModals Employee Of The Month This Month?
Feb 22, 2013

Saw they posted the new list. anyone get it? ...

Medication Sounds Like "Jenowen" Smoking Cessation?
Aug 07, 2012

in the meds list: s/l "Jenowin" 2 mg transdermal patch weekly I feel like I should know what thsi is, but I can't figure it out!! Anyone know?   ...

Medication Sounds Like "Avalaud" - NM - Thanks In Advance
Nov 25, 2009

Medication sounds like "Avalaud."  Thank you. ...

Medication, Sounds Like "aglitizar" 150 Mg P.o. Daily. I Don't Know What Its For, He
Dec 05, 2011

x ...

A Medication That Sounds Like " Respite " ?
Jan 07, 2010

She is on (respite) 4 [it is either 4 or for] now and Lyrica. add.info:  trigeminal neuralgia   ...

Medication Sounds Like "phetiloxyphene" 100 Mg
Jul 01, 2010

Anybody have any ideas?  It is for a cardiology patient and he is listing the meds. Thank so much in advance! Michele ...

Medication Sounds S/l "Aw-pree-so" SM
Apr 26, 2010

Dosage 0.375 grams, patient dx'd with ulcerative proctitis, now may have ulcerative colitis or Crohn's, recently on trip to Thailand/Vietnam. Has bloody stool & diarrhea.  Thanks so very much. ...

Medication Sounds Like "novair" ??
Jul 13, 2010

Thanks so much in advance!!  ...

Medication Sounds Like "cornazapine" ....sm
Sep 30, 2010

The patient has a sleep disorder and hx of colon cancer.  Thank you. ...

Medication Help Sounds Like "alloskurin"
Apr 23, 2011

This patient has high blood pressure problems and anxiety.  Other meds in the list are Ziac, Diovan, Lexapro, clonidine. The drug I can't figure out sounds like "alloskurine" or "alloskerin."  Any ideas? ...

Medication Help Sounds Like "Bilpliacin"
Jul 21, 2011

Cardiac Consult Patient has high BP, high chol, palpitations, and anxiety Medication sounds like "bilpliacin" but cannot locate this anywhere - Can anyone help please? thank you, newbie     ...

Medication Sounds Like "Astacol"?
May 03, 2012

It's an orthopedics chart note, and his medications are: [sounds like Astacol?], hydrochlorothiazide, and Accupril. Any possible ideas???? He is there for shoulder pain, no significant illnesses. Family history significant for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.       ...

3-month Versus 3 Month
May 13, 2014

Which is correct:  "The patient is here for a 3-month followup visit."  or  "The patient is here for a 3 month followup visit."   I was always told in this instance that it is without the hyphen becuase putting the hyphen in it will mean that the visit is 3 months long versus a visit at 3 months' time.   Which is the correct way to do this?  I got a correction back on a file and I was pretty sure I had it right.   ...

No Clue
Jun 30, 2010

The patient was seen in consultation by hematology who started the patient on "ARGRADRAPEN".  Thanks for any help. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...

A Clue On Nuance
May 07, 2011

One clue as to why Nuance pays next to nothing. http://www.ntsindia.in/outsourcing.asp ...

HEY MTSO - GET A CLUE.
Mar 21, 2012

We all know you don't give a rat's ass but here it goes;  Pay us a decent wage for BOTH typing and editing with decent benefits.  At least 8 cpl both both instead of that crappy 4 cpl for editing.  With a decent wage, your employees would be happier.  They'd quit bitchin about your company.  They'd quit hopping from company to company.   They'd work harder at producing.  They'd turn out quality reports, not having to worry ab ...

So Do You Think Maybe The Trolls Had A Clue
Apr 04, 2013

Maybe there was a grain of truth in the posts from a few weeks ago? ...

OTI WORK DEMISE CLUE
Mar 05, 2014

Here is what I have noticed: Those familiar with the T account know there are 3 facilities. C, VR and H, in order of size. The CER used to be the biggest component. Since 02/26/2014, almost a week, despite working literally all hours of the day and night, I have not typed a single CER report. There is one dictator, BB, who mistakenly codes her reports as CER but they are actually HER reports. So the biggest facility on OTI's biggest account is apparently gone. ...

Anyone Have A Clue How To Contact A Recruiter?? LOL
Apr 04, 2014

I have applied to Nuance, and already went thru the online process. Also had friends at N submit my resume.  I got a voice mail from a "Colleen" at Nuance today, saying she has my resume, but I have to complete some "Assessment", which she has emailed to me, as far as links to follow.  Well, no email from anyone, and when I called back the phone # on caller ID, it is Transcend, and there is no option to speak with anyone.  Is this a red flag?  LOL Don't answer that.  ...

Abdomen Right S/l Bowteleck Hernia. ~I Have No Clue~ TIA
Nov 17, 2009

xx ...

Do The Clients Even Have A Clue How Badly They Have Been Ripped Off By ASR?
Aug 14, 2013

Or do they think they can continue to put garbage in and get back a perfect report by the magic of this "wonderful technology."  Do they even know what type of trash it is producing??The first thing these developers did to rip off the health care providers was to tell them that they could simply dictate and it automatically would become patient record with no transcriptionist involved.  We knew that 99% of doctors would never change their style to meet the requirements to dictate accur ...