A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anybody use Norton's? - shipwrecked

Posted: Mar 06, 2010

My cable company is taking away our McAfee in May, and giving us Norton.  I think I tried it years ago and hated it.  Any thoughts?

It's bloated and can really slow down a system, IMO. (sm) - CM

[ In Reply To ..]
Although a few folks like it, many of us have found both McAfee and Norton/Symantec to be terribly bloated, system-hogging, and not worth the licensing fees.

Whether you are looking just for an antivirus program or a "suite" including AV, firewall, and spyware protection, there are many free alternatives. Alwil's Avast! AV is excellent. Avira's AV program is great, too, and AVG is certainly okay. Comodo puts out a full free firewall/AV/spyware suite.

Norton should be avoided in my opinion.

Norton - workingmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never had it on a work PC, only my home computers. I'm not a fan, used to think it was the best until I tried others. I agree, it slows things down and always took a long time to load when I had to reboot my PC. Do you have to use the one your cable company provides? There are a lot of good antivirus and security suites available, even some free downloads that you might like better than Norton.

Thanks guys - shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
With Comcast, they give (gave) us the McAfe Suite free, and are now changing to Norton, which they claim is a $160 value. I think I'll look elsewhere, since I haven't heard anything good about it.

Used to use Norton but now I use AVG. Have had no problems with it in 2 years. - Sunshine State MT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I use NOD32 and love it. Love it. - RawRecruit

[ In Reply To ..]
Norton places far too great a drag on a system. I've got Norton on the family desktop and that is one slow machine. On my working PC I have NOD32, it's great.

Similar Messages:

Norton 2003
Dec 03, 2009

Does anyone know how to get into Norton trusted sites.  I am having a problem not getting into a site and it is blocking me and I need to make it a trusted site but I dont know where to find the fiiles in Norton. ...

Norton Alert On EditScript
Aug 17, 2014

EditScript was downloaded from employer in case I do back up accounts, but have not opened or used it yet.  I did a complete scan by Norton 360 last night and it listed a high risk threat: editscript mt.msi "compressed threats."  Anyone know anything about this?  I've had Norton just ignore this file for the future, but wonder if it contained a virus when downloaded? ...

Norton Antivirus Blocking Downloading DQS. Nm
Mar 30, 2014

nm ...

I Have Norton Antivirus And Everytime It Does Something It Slows My Computer Down.
Apr 11, 2012

Hard to work when it does that.  I have stopped the full system scan and made it at night but Norton still does other things and of course checks all emails and the computer just slows down so far it is hard to work until it is done. ...