A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career Step Problems - Toro

Posted: Jan 30, 2015

I have to be honest.

I truly felt that Career Step's training was thorough and prepared me well for a career as an MT. I had an extensive background in terminology, but the transcribing was new for me. Nonetheless, I completed all transcription modules with over 98% accuracy. I can type over 100 WPM.

So, when it came time to take the final, I felt confident. I mean, I passed the multiple choice questions with flying colors and only got one wrong. But, apparently, I did so poorly on the transcription that they didn't even grade my editing. I was so shocked. The worst part was that I wasn't even allowed to see a copy of my test to find out what I needed to improve on. The Final Exam Consultant gave me such bland answers...''don't transcribe headings unless dictated.'' Not to mention the audio quality was FAR worse than any audio file in the training modules. So I took the final again.

I failed AGAIN. I tried to slow down the tape on one of the files, and it sounded like someone was talking underwater. I logged out and tried again. Same thing. Logged out, restarted the computer, tried again. Same thing. Guess I'm just going to have to listen to this woman speak as fast as she possibly can. Remember how I was told not to transcribe the headings unless dictated? LIES! I got points off for that! 

Fortunately, I got a job anyway, although I expected there to be more MTE jobs available. Nah, just MT. Whatever, I guess they have to do editing too now.

I'm not sure if I'm going to take the final a 3rd time. I really am starting to think that they aren't keeping keys a secret to prevent cheating, but to make it look like people are failing even when they aren't so they can get the extra money for the final extension package. I have gone back to transcribe the hardest modules and still only got 1 or 2 points off. I am flustered and had to get this off my chest.

Also had problems - CMT/ME

[ In Reply To ..]
I had trouble with Career Step in testing for a job. I have never had a problem passing these tests for 15 years since working at home and have transcribed for years prior to that with full acute care/clinic work plus radiology/pathology. I failed the 2nd part of the Career Step test. The website immediately suggested that I should sign up for their educational courses and I have been bugged by Libman Education emails since that day. I am a CMT. Have I have lost my mind? My QA reviews were always great (about 10 reports a month), so I can't figure out what went wrong. I always double-check my answers. It does mess with your confidence. Hang in there.

The OP is talking about passing...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
the final exam for the Career Step MT Program, and I think you're talking about MTTest (put out by Career Step) for job testing. I know what you mean about MTTest though, as I've heard complaints similar to yours often. I had to take it for a job a few years back and was very nervous but I passed it. Didn't take that job, so had to take it again for another job, and passed that one too. I mentioned that fact on another MT site and was called a liar and that I must work for Career Step/MTTest. I don't. I really sympathize with you though. I have no idea why someone who is a very good MT would fail that test. It's got to be a glitch in their program or the job application was a 'front' to get you to take it so they could pitch their MT course to you. That's the only explanation I have.

I would not trust any school - That has no instructors

[ In Reply To ..]
Career step doesn't have instructors, so they can't even give feedback or be helpful. I'm guessing they have some sort of electronic program "grading" the tests, and of course they won't give you the answers, because you might actually have a followup question. They can't answer any MT questions, because they are not MTs and they are not instructors.

Students have been complaining about this - as long as I can remember

[ In Reply To ..]
They are pretty much famous for that. No instructors, so students are on their own. Passing their final has always been a problem. It has been discussed on boards like this for years.

Those same students nearly always insist they were well-prepared. You did not come right out and blame yourself, but most do. Well, it isn't your fault. How can you have been well-prepared if you were not prepared to pass???

They only think they are prepared - But...

[ In Reply To ..]
They don't realize that they don't know what they don't know, if that makes sense.

The only way to know what you don't know is to go to a school with instructors who will guide you.

People, regardless, get out of MT anyway.

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Disappointed In Career Step
May 29, 2010

I'm very disappointed regarding this medical editing course being offered by Career Step.  In my opinion it's a terrible way to take advantage of newbies who are worried about the job market and willing to pay anything to upgrade their skills, when every employer I've ever heard of trains their MTs on VR.  I can't imagine an employer requesting a course in medical editing in addition to the standard MT course.  I myself am a Career Step grad, have been gai ...

Career Step And Unemployment
Jun 09, 2010

Do you know if it is possible to take career step courses for coding and still collect unemployment. I do not qualify for the displaced worker program and they will not let me keep my benifits if I chose to go to a regular community college. I have no idea how the reporting is done, but I would really like to get into coding (currently an MT). I have enough in savings to pay for the course, and I am pretty sure I could get it over with fairly quicly, but I don't want to push myself to work ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

Career Step Or Andrews??? SM
Nov 05, 2010

I am very interested in a coding career.  I have been doing medical transcription for the past 10 years and am tired of chasing after the money.  I need stability.  Coding has always seemed like a very interesting job.  I want to choose a course that is the most detailed so that I have the best chance of passing the certification test(s) and be able to land a job.  Can anyone advise on a great online medical coding course?  Thanks guys!!!! ...

Andrews VS Career Step
Jan 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I have been looking at both Andrews and Career Steps programs for coding. I am leaning more towards Andrews, but I am worried about the amount of writing assignments you have to do. Are these long assignments? What type of stuff do you have to write about for a coding course (without giving away too much info)? Career Step is completely online, and for some reason that just does not seem like the best way to go. I feel that you really do need hands on kind of work, and I don' ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Career Step Vs Andrews
Jan 16, 2012

Okay, I know Andrews is the best, but has anyone taken Career Step and had any sucess?  It is an approved school on the AHIMA web site, but I don't ever hear anyone say anything about going through them for coding.  If anyone has, I would like to know if you were able to pass the CCS after completing the course?  My parents want to help me pay for school, and I hate for them to think I went and found the most expensive one out there; although, I know it is the best.  I just wondered abo ...

Andrews Vs Career Step Sm
Apr 20, 2013

I am trying to decide between Andrews and Career Step for billing and coding.  The only question I have left is how the learning is done.  It looks like Career Step is study on your own. at your own pace.  I can't find anything one way or the other on the Andrews site - are there interactive online classes or is it study on your own and then test?  Also, Career Step says the tuition includes Complete set of industry codebooks (ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS).  Andrews ju ...

Career Step Textbooks?
May 04, 2013

I have narrowed my choices down to Career Step or Andrews for coding.  I know that Andrews provides all the necessary textbooks, but I cannot get a clear answer as to which textbooks actually are included with the Career Step program. Are there any current or former students of the Career Step coding program who would be willing to tell me which textbooks they received? Thanks much!       ...

Career Step Or Andrews?
Apr 17, 2015

Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 programs? Will someone come out of CS ready to sit for the CCS/CPC? I know/hear on here that Andrews has the best, most comprehensive program but Career Step has a job placement program after graduation ...granted it is low-paying, but it is more like an internship for 13 weeks. After that you can get hired for $15-$17/hour or more.... However their program is almost half what Andrews is.... I just am trying to make the best decision for myself. I am re ...

Opinions On Career Step's MT Program
Feb 26, 2010

I am looking to get some opinions on Career Step's MT program. Has anybody been able to find a job after completion? Any information would be greatly appreciated!  ...

CAREER STEP Payment PLANS?
May 09, 2010

If anyone has taken Career Step, do you feel you are being challenged and that it is worth the money? Do they have payment plans? ...

Career Step MT Editor Supplement Course....
May 25, 2010

Has anyone taken this course to learn speech editing?  Is it worth the $?  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Career Step Educational Tax Credit??
Apr 17, 2012

Hello. My wife just finised the Career Step course in March. She is already employed and doing great. My question is in regards to any 2011 tax credits/breaks we can claim as she studied full time at this program. Can we claim that she was a full time student for at least 5 months? Any thoughts?   Have a great day...   Jeff ...

Career Step Companion Textbooks
Apr 20, 2012

For anyone currently enrolled in Career Step's Coding program: Could you please let me know what books are included in the companion textbook package for this program. If I could purchase these for a lower price than what they are selling them for it would be great. Even though I believe the price is low compared to book costs for college programs, I would still like to comparison shop if possible. I am enrolled in a community college starting this summer that utilizes the career step progr ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Career Step Happy Graduates?
Aug 07, 2014

Anyone out there a graduate of Career Step happy with their job?   ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...