A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Career Step companion textbooks - need info

Posted: Apr 20, 2012

For anyone currently enrolled in Career Step's Coding program: Could you please let me know what books are included in the companion textbook package for this program. If I could purchase these for a lower price than what they are selling them for it would be great. Even though I believe the price is low compared to book costs for college programs, I would still like to comparison shop if possible. I am enrolled in a community college starting this summer that utilizes the career step program but doesnt include companion texts. Thank you for your responses....

not looking for info on industry codebooks - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Just to clarify.... Im looking for info on the companion textbooks not the industry code books

CareerStep Books - Student too

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they're licensed so that the CareerStep books are not available for resale. You really don't need to purchase the books for the medical transcription course-ALL of the course material is available on their site. I'm in version 6 of the course and copied and printed many pages of the pre-practicum portion of the course. I have two big binders of material I plan on reviewing before I take the final. I'm a bit of a dinosaur who likes paper despite first using a modem back in 1980 or 1981. Think about how much ink and paper costs before going my route.

Thanks for your reply but...... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply but Im not doing transcription, Im doing Coding as my question stated. I know that you cant purchase books from other students because of copyright. I wanted to know what books they are...Are they books career step has authored or are they books by other authors that could possibly be purchased elsewhere... I like hard copy books and paper too!!!! Everything Digital is not me either lol I guess I should start being interested..
Sorry - Student Too
[ In Reply To ..]
I read your original question too late at night too fast, obviously.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of the coding curriculum.

Textbooks? Do they really call them that? - Astonished

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not call them textbooks. They are more like skimpy little homemade booklets.

What community college uses that program? Surely not one with an AHIMA-accredited HIT program . . .

Textbooks - NeedInfo-OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Are they just booklets? Thats what Im asking. I wanted to know what exactly they would be charging me for. Also, its EverettCC. They use the Career Step program, but with the instructional help unlike Career Step. Also, being an AHIMA approved school really doesnt mean much. Yes obtaining a CCS through them is important but not the school. Once again I wanted to know about the BOOKS. Opinions without real knowledge and Coding experience isnt't what I was looking for. Thanks

Real knowledge and coding experience? - Yup, got some!

[ In Reply To ..]
The answer you were given was about the books. The fact that you did not like that answer does not indicate that the informant is lacking knowledge or coding experience. Feeling obligated to respond with that unfounded accusation, however, is an indication that the information may have threatened your beliefs and expectations. In other words, the information was not what you wanted to hear so you resolved the disconnect by claiming the bearer of the bad news was the problem, not the news itself.

I guess not much needs to be said about that. For the benefit of others, however, it is important to clarify the credential situation. Otherwise, it will start going around that this program prepares you for the CCS exam.

To avoid the need for further accusations of ignorance, I will just restate what is on the school's website. It says there that graduates may take the CPC and CCA exams. It also says that 2 years of experience would be required before a graduate could take the CCS.

CCA, not CCS. The website states corresponding information about the kinds of jobs graduates could get, appearing to describe the kind of job available to CCAs rather than CCSs.
Lets Clarify - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
In no way am I threatened by a post by an unknown source and I never said the "Bearer of Bad news" was a problem. If you read my posts you would see I responded about the books or booklets even though YES it wasnt what I wanted to hear because it still DIDNT answer my original question. My response was pointed toward the AHIMA comment. I also NEVER stated anywhere that the school prepared you for CCS. I said that I know getting the CCS through AHIMA is most important. Funny thing is Career Step is an approved AHIMA school but I dont think taking the course with them is appropriate since there's no instructional help. Also it is NOT required to have years experience to take the CCS it is recommended. This taken from AHIMA's website. So maybe before you take your time responding with accusations yourself, you should actually read the posts correctly.
Where I got the information - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, no, the posts did not answer your question. You might need to ask the school what booklets you need because they are not identified clearly on their website. The course titles almost exactly match the booklets I have seen so you would probably be safe getting booklets of that name off EBay. My understanding is that the content corresponds to the online screens.

The school website also mentions "step by step" which may or may not be one of the Carol Buck textbooks. It might just be another booklet, too.

I think you misunderstood where the comment about the CCS came from. That is what is on the Everett website itself. They say you need 2 years before taking the CCS. They even warn about the difficulty of getting a job coding with their course--the job they describe that you may get is not technically coding. It is more a job working around coding.

???? - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
What in the world does your response have to do with textbooks which I believe was the OP's question.

Career Step - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The online program (through Career Step) has companion books published by them, it's not possible to comparison shop. You would need to check with your advisor or instructor if you are doing this through a community college. It may be more extensive than the online program and use different texts, I'm suprised you weren't told up front what you would need.

Thank you - Needinfo-OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for answering my question. The only books they require are the codebooks...ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, Step by Step medical coding, medical dictionary and a nurses drug handbook. I personally would like to have textbooks along with the online format for terminology, pathophysiology, anatomy and so forth. It would help me better understand and learn. Thanks to you, now I know that I will not waste money on that package. I appreciate your answer. thanks again!!!

You're welcome - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I did the on line program so that is how I know about the course materials. I purchased an anatomy and physiology textbook and used that to learn in addition to the course materials. The books you mention may be all that you need. I'm not completely sure, but Step By Step may be a coding textbook. I think you are wise to do the program with instructor feedback, not having it was difficult for me. I live in WA State so know Everett Community College by reputation and I'm sure it's a good program, I think they have a RHIT program if you would choose to do that, then you can come to this forum and throw your credentials around. Best of luck to you, glad I could help.
What credentials did you get after you finished? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Credentials - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a CPC but actually still work as an MT, so I'm a CMT/CPC. I did the program because I was concerned that my transcription job was going away. That didn't happen so I chose to remain in MT, I'll be 58 in July. I've had some interviews for coding positions it is true that employers want people with experience plus certification, at least it has been true for me. Everett CC may offer placement assistance to its graduates, it would probably help if you could get that, or some type of coding externship might be helpful for you too. Truthfully, I did not love coding as much as I thought I would, I doubt if anyone else on this board feels the same.
You said, "throw your credentials around" - Respectfully Disagreeing With You
[ In Reply To ..]
You wrote, "you can come to this forum and throw your credentials around."

Credentials mean something to most of us. I respect the accomplishments of others. Those who are unable to successfully sit for credentials exams might consider taking additional training so that they also can have credentials.
Credentials - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
That's fine, but you managed to mention your credentials in this thread when the discussion had nothing to do with them, that's all I'm saying. You judged the program in queastion without knowing anything about it and told the OP that she was setting herself up for failure before she began because you thought it was lacking. The fact is, Career Step is an AHIMA approved program. I respect other's acccomplishments too, but you could have just answered the question. I think that credentialing (CPC, CCA, CCS, RHIT, etc.) can be a bit confusing in the beginning. It's probably better to focus on passing the coding program first, then address the certification exam. I would think that anyone who did not "successfully sit" for an exam is probably intelligent enough to know that they need additional training without having it pointed out to them.
I think you are confused - Respectfully Disagreeing
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you are confused. I posted a message regarding your comment about "throwing your credentials around."

I didn't mention my credentials.
I didn't judge anyone.

Now I will strongly disagree with one of your new statements though. The time to think about what credentials you are going to want in the future is before, not after, you choose a training program.

I believe your reactions have been emotional rather than logical. Striking out at me was unnecessary. Offering poor advice to those who are just beginning training and/or just starting to consider their training options is not very thoughtful.

You said, "It's probably better to focus on passing the coding program first, then address the certification exam."

On the contrary! The time to address the certification exam is while you are planning, to make sure you get an education that provides adequate training to prepare you for--not just "the certification exam" as you put it--but for the 'right' certification exams (multiple--both CPC and CCS), the ones that will help you achieve your career goals.

You said elsewhere that you didn't enjoy coding very much. It's possible that your training had something to do with that and the fact that it may not have prepared you adequately for the right credential exams.
At my age - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I really did not have any career goals. I'm almost 58 and didn't plan to work that much longer. I studied coding to gain additional skills if I was not able to work as an MT until I retired. Many of us here are in that category and probably approach coding from a different perspective that someone younger with many years of working ahead of them. The "right" credentials are probably useful in larger metropolitan areas where there are plenty of job opportunities. I live in a rural area with 1 inpatient hospital and 1 large outpatient facility, that's it. I don't have the money to pay for multiple certification exams, they are expensive as you know. The CPC is a recognized credential in my area. This discussion has nothing to do with the OP's question anyway. She was already enrolled in a program and had questions about books. You didn't answer it and went off on another tangent about credentialing.
You are wrong about several things in your message - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I could address some of your comments about 58 being too old and credentials not being useful in certain areas, but you aren't listening to any of us who are posting.

The fact that you didn't have any career goals is troublesome when you are giving out advice to those who do.

I'll just stop there and address one thing you said. I wasn't involved in the OP's question. More than a couple of people are in the discussion.
Credentials are not "a tangent" in coding. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Credentials have to be your main concern in coding because that is how competency is assessed, skill areas are identified, and motivation is gauged.

The coding world does not scorn credentials like they do in MT. MTs who come into coding and retain the scornful or dismissive attitude toward credentials can find themselves unemployable.

Many MTs coming into coding think that things are going to be just like MT. They think credentials are something to get later and their course certificate will be enough to get a job. Or, they think the credentials are all the same, so more than one is just duplication of effort. They see credentials as expensive and as something to economize on rather than seeing them as necessary and unavoidable career or business expenses. They fail to see CEUs as necessary continuing education, seeing only recurring expenses.

Another unfortunate misconception is that all courses that teach "coding" teach the same thing. They do not. There is a big difference between inpatient and outpatient coding. If all you want to learn is outpatient, that is fine, but be aware BEFORE you choose that course that you will not be considered for many jobs because of it. Be aware before you choose a course that tries to teach both at once in "one size fits all" style that you may be unable to sort them out and never pass the CCS.

As for your claim that you had no career goals, I think that is good reason to say that you are not in a position to advise others. What advice would you give? Exactly what you have been giving, which has been characterized by recommendations for the same school that led to your inability to get a job, for doing things just like you did, and for the "good enough" view.

You don't even make full disclosure of your conflict of interest. You do not preface your advice with the statement that you were unable to get a job. Your advisees have no clue where that advice comes from.

And that is what it boils down to . . .
you were unemployable after completing that course. It is not that you had no goals, or that you live in a rural are, or that you did not plan to work very much longer, or anyhing else. Why would someone with no clear goals, who is facing a continual decrement in earning potential, spend 3 to 4K on a course that leads to jobs that begin at 30-40K or more and go up steadily from there . . . and never intend to use it?

When you claim that you cannot afford a credentialing exam, how was it that you could easily afford 3 to 4K for a coding course?

Your perspective is not the perspective of older coders . . . it is YOUR perspective that you should not foist off onto others who need to work.

The truth in coding is that education, skill sets, and credentials matter. They matter a lot. They are nearly ALL that matter.

You do not need to take ANY course. There are loads of self-taught coders. They typically have exceptionally good jobs, too. But they have the right credentials.

Nobody here is throwing their credentials around. You just think they are because you did not or could not get those credentials.

Credentials Mean Everything In Coding - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Credentials are always relevant in coding discussions.

Careerstep coding program books - Madcow

[ In Reply To ..]
I am presently taking the online course for coding through Careerstep. The books you are referring to are the accompanying materials that they provided for me to use with the online program are printed by Careerstep and are only available through Careerstep. I just finished the first half of the program and waiting for them to send me the most up-to-date ICD-9 code book and CPT coding book before I can continue with the program. If they don't provide the Careerstep workbooks you should be okay, because the online program is very easy. The advantage I see to the workbooks is that you can take them anywhere to read, study, highlight, etc. at any time you wish, rather than having to be in a classroom setting working on a computer. They are also good to use to verify test questions as you are testing on the computer. They do follow the computer format, mostly. Do you know if they will make the workbooks available? They are not absolutely neccessary, but are convenient and helpful for the above stated reasons. Hope that helps. Good luck with the program.

Similar Messages:

Career Step Textbooks?
May 04, 2013

I have narrowed my choices down to Career Step or Andrews for coding.  I know that Andrews provides all the necessary textbooks, but I cannot get a clear answer as to which textbooks actually are included with the Career Step program. Are there any current or former students of the Career Step coding program who would be willing to tell me which textbooks they received? Thanks much!       ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Disappointed In Career Step
May 29, 2010

I'm very disappointed regarding this medical editing course being offered by Career Step.  In my opinion it's a terrible way to take advantage of newbies who are worried about the job market and willing to pay anything to upgrade their skills, when every employer I've ever heard of trains their MTs on VR.  I can't imagine an employer requesting a course in medical editing in addition to the standard MT course.  I myself am a Career Step grad, have been gai ...

Career Step And Unemployment
Jun 09, 2010

Do you know if it is possible to take career step courses for coding and still collect unemployment. I do not qualify for the displaced worker program and they will not let me keep my benifits if I chose to go to a regular community college. I have no idea how the reporting is done, but I would really like to get into coding (currently an MT). I have enough in savings to pay for the course, and I am pretty sure I could get it over with fairly quicly, but I don't want to push myself to work ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

Career Step Or Andrews??? SM
Nov 05, 2010

I am very interested in a coding career.  I have been doing medical transcription for the past 10 years and am tired of chasing after the money.  I need stability.  Coding has always seemed like a very interesting job.  I want to choose a course that is the most detailed so that I have the best chance of passing the certification test(s) and be able to land a job.  Can anyone advise on a great online medical coding course?  Thanks guys!!!! ...

Andrews VS Career Step
Jan 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I have been looking at both Andrews and Career Steps programs for coding. I am leaning more towards Andrews, but I am worried about the amount of writing assignments you have to do. Are these long assignments? What type of stuff do you have to write about for a coding course (without giving away too much info)? Career Step is completely online, and for some reason that just does not seem like the best way to go. I feel that you really do need hands on kind of work, and I don' ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Career Step Vs Andrews
Jan 16, 2012

Okay, I know Andrews is the best, but has anyone taken Career Step and had any sucess?  It is an approved school on the AHIMA web site, but I don't ever hear anyone say anything about going through them for coding.  If anyone has, I would like to know if you were able to pass the CCS after completing the course?  My parents want to help me pay for school, and I hate for them to think I went and found the most expensive one out there; although, I know it is the best.  I just wondered abo ...

Andrews Vs Career Step Sm
Apr 20, 2013

I am trying to decide between Andrews and Career Step for billing and coding.  The only question I have left is how the learning is done.  It looks like Career Step is study on your own. at your own pace.  I can't find anything one way or the other on the Andrews site - are there interactive online classes or is it study on your own and then test?  Also, Career Step says the tuition includes Complete set of industry codebooks (ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS).  Andrews ju ...

Career Step Problems
Jan 30, 2015

I have to be honest. I truly felt that Career Step's training was thorough and prepared me well for a career as an MT. I had an extensive background in terminology, but the transcribing was new for me. Nonetheless, I completed all transcription modules with over 98% accuracy. I can type over 100 WPM. So, when it came time to take the final, I felt confident. I mean, I passed the multiple choice questions with flying colors and only got one wrong. But, apparently, I did so poorly on the tr ...

Career Step Or Andrews?
Apr 17, 2015

Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 programs? Will someone come out of CS ready to sit for the CCS/CPC? I know/hear on here that Andrews has the best, most comprehensive program but Career Step has a job placement program after graduation ...granted it is low-paying, but it is more like an internship for 13 weeks. After that you can get hired for $15-$17/hour or more.... However their program is almost half what Andrews is.... I just am trying to make the best decision for myself. I am re ...

Opinions On Career Step's MT Program
Feb 26, 2010

I am looking to get some opinions on Career Step's MT program. Has anybody been able to find a job after completion? Any information would be greatly appreciated!  ...

CAREER STEP Payment PLANS?
May 09, 2010

If anyone has taken Career Step, do you feel you are being challenged and that it is worth the money? Do they have payment plans? ...

Career Step MT Editor Supplement Course....
May 25, 2010

Has anyone taken this course to learn speech editing?  Is it worth the $?  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!  ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Career Step Educational Tax Credit??
Apr 17, 2012

Hello. My wife just finised the Career Step course in March. She is already employed and doing great. My question is in regards to any 2011 tax credits/breaks we can claim as she studied full time at this program. Can we claim that she was a full time student for at least 5 months? Any thoughts?   Have a great day...   Jeff ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Career Step Happy Graduates?
Aug 07, 2014

Anyone out there a graduate of Career Step happy with their job?   ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...