A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

mt'ing not going to be here forever... - sm

Posted: Nov 25, 2009

So does anyone have a career to fall back on?  I'm choosing to go back to school for billing and coding, it seems along the same lines as MT'ing, working behind the scenes in the medical field.  Anyone else thought of this particular career or others?  I noticed MQ offers billing and coding employment.

billing/coding - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
wondering how long billing/coding will be a US profession? Have had many people I know laid off from their job do to outsourcing and/or offshoring.

They offshore those jobs too. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

long-haul trucking - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's face it...anything done primarily with computers can be done anywhere (you know where).

Aside from manufacturing, which has been long dead in the US, the only jobs not going overseas are those which require hands-on physical involvement. Think a lot of lower-level patient involvement careers.

Actually, I personally would like to India take over our meth production and concomitant problems...maybe then they'd be less able to steal our jobs.

Coding will be eliminated as well. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd suggest something like nursing. Nurses will always be needed especially smart ones because they usually are the ones that make the diagnosis and then contact the doctor at least that's how it was at the hospital I worked for. The nurses were the ones who gave the most care. The doctors only make rounds.

There are a lot of places that import nurses - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They pay nurses from the Philippines to come over here to work, set them up in housing, pay expenses, etc. Pretty soon, there won't be any jobs available for U.S. nurses because the foreigners will work for a lot less. They do the same with doctors. Why do you think there are so many foreign hospitalists? They are employees of the facility they work for. No U.S. doctor wants to be an employee, but the foreigners think it is great because they can make so much more here and they don't have to worry about setting up a practice, etc. Sleep well, Americans----.

perhaps not, but editing always will and at some point, sm - I am at least hoping

[ In Reply To ..]
they will have to offer a better rate for VR as transcriptionist will not be able to take positions at these low rate jobs and will find jobs other than VR jobs amounting to the same pay per hour on VR.

Reality check... - Just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
The ILPs will be happy to take these positions at a lower rate. You will never see VR rate go up and probably more likely it will go down, especially at the few companies that are currently paying at or a little above 50%.

Similar Messages:

Does It Take Anybody Forever To Get A Day Off Approved?
Mar 23, 2010

I asked off for 4 hours on a Friday in April to go see Elton John in another town. Still is not approved.  Hate to tell her, but I have the tickets, asked off in ample time and she can just get over it.  But it is still sitting as a "request" and not "granted" on Schedule Source.  I guess she will finally grant it THAT day when she sees the workload? ...

Forever Comfy Is NOT!
Nov 13, 2013

The cushion on my office chair became hard & uncomfortable, so I decided to get one of those Forever Comfy cushions.  Worked great.... for about 2 months.  Now it's all flattened out and lumpy and is really uncomfortable.  I spend all day moving it, adjusting it, trying to get comfortable. I don't want to buy another office chair, but I'd like a cushion the same size as the Forever Comfy (18 x 13 1/2) that I can stick inside the cover or just replace altogether ...

Seems Like It Takes Forever
Jul 21, 2014

Is it just me or does time seem to take a long time when working as an MT? It seems like I've worked about 7 hours when I've only worked 4 hours and have 4 more hours to go. ...

Jobs Taking Forever To Load?
Feb 11, 2013

x ...

Anybody Know If Nuance Takes Forever To Respond To
Mar 21, 2014

an application?  I submitted one at least 2 weeks ago... and it was no easy process as I couldn't log into the system, yada, yada.  So, that makes me even wonder if they got my app and resume.  But is it normal that they take forever to respond?  Or is it normal if they don't want you, that they just ignore you?  I just would prefer closure.  I know Nuance well, as far as I know its not the dream job, to say the least.  Just wondering what's up w ...

Document Check Is Taking Forever!
May 03, 2015

and this has to do this twice!  Hope it speeds up or there goes my count for the day.  Will try to reboot, see if that helps. ...

The System Is So Slow Today. Takes Forever To Download The Audio.
May 02, 2013

nm ...