A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just spoke to a lawyer - about the new HIPPA laws in place.

Posted: Jan 13, 2010

I spoke to a lawyer who knows some of the circumstances we will all face with the new HIPPA laws.  If you type a report and typed in a fax number or cc to a certain individual and it is wrong and gets sent to (that pizza company in the video), it all depends how the hospital, doctor, HIPPA and anyone else concerned on how they want to proceed with this situation. 

If the doctor clearly states a fax number and an MT put the fax number in wrong and there are ways of finding out who did what (probably by listening to the report), YOU CAN BE FINED AT 2,500 OR 25,000 OR EVEN UP 250,000. 

If there was a blank in a report and was QA'd by a person and did not catch the fax number, they can lose their jobs and be fined along with the MT and whoever else has touched that report.  The HIPPA laws are to more or less COVER THE PATIENT, DICTATOR/DOCTOR AND HOSPITAL'S BUTTS.  They might be fined, but us MT's, QA, MME's will be fined and very well lose our jobs. 

If the doctor states a fax number and he stated it wrong and an MT typed it in, doctor is as at fault and we are considered SAFE!!!

As for the other countries typing reports, if a QA, MME, and whoever else looks at that report and if it has a wrong fax number, CC's, ADT name, then the QA and MME can be fined and may lose their job, etc., because they did not catch it.  It all depends how the HIPPA, hospital, doctor, lawyers what to proceed with this mistake.

Sorry, I am tired and stressed out and hope this all makes sense!!!

BASICALLY, WE ALL HAVE TO BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL IN WHAT WE PUT IN OUR ADT SCREEN, TYPE WORD FOR WORD WHEN THE DICTATOR GIVES AN ADDRESS IN THE REPORT, THE CC'S TO WHOEVER THE DICTATOR WANTS REPORT SENT TO, FAX NUMBERS, HOME NUMBERS, ETC. 

I do know, from months ago, certain hospitals are getting sick and tired of our ADT info not being put in properly and that is another CONCERN WE HAVE TO BE AWARE OF!!! 

I do not know about you all, but I do not get paid enough to live my life let alone pay for the fines.  Shoot, I do not have 2,500 in the bank let alone 25,000 or even 250,000.  And you can be fired from your job easily if you are not paying attention. 

Good Luck to all!!!

fines - xyzzzz

[ In Reply To ..]
QAs now MMEs have been told in the past to fill in the blanks and go on unless it's full qa where everything is proofed. Very little chance to catch wrong info on non full qa reports.

fines - ae

[ In Reply To ..]
It should not be our job to make sure the ADT information is correct. The dictator should enter in the proper information or there should be a clerk on the hospital's end to make sure the information is correct. We do not get paid for that.

It's not our responsiblity to put anything in the ADT screen or report - other than what has been dictated.....nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:

new HIPPA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think unless the ILPs are under 100% US QA on all reports, there are going to be a lot of them with critical errors and fines attached.

For reports not under 100% QA review, this is something that would have to be discovered at the hospital end of things and we are in the clear.

I'm not really concerned about it. I think as long as we do our jobs and transcribe as dictated outside of the obvious punctuation/formatting corrections, there won't be anything coming down on us at our level.

I'm actually a bit excited about these new HIPPA laws, as a lot of the ILPs won't be able to comply with such strict standards. I think this will mean less of our MT work being outsourced, and more what is actually outsourced going back through our QA/MME department.

I see this as an opportunity to take back the workload that has been lost in recent years to these ILPs.

I think that all ILPs' transcriptions are 100% QAed, always, don't you agree?..nm - ILP

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

no they are not - hocuspocus

[ In Reply To ..]
They are only 100% QA'd until they pass their audits. Granted some never do pass and that makes the MMEs life and pay check hell.

CCs - TedEBear

[ In Reply To ..]
At my other job, if a CC is requested and this person is not in the data base, we are to pend it to QA so they can check into it further. I like that much better than the MQ's way of doing this.

Here's how I'll handle the new HIPAA law..... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Refuse to send ANY cc's at ALL. First of all, since when is that our job? Do we get compensated for that? No. We get paid to transcribe the medical report. Second, if the hospitals want to make sure the correct person gets the report, let THEM send them out.

Since I know they will still expect us to do it, I'll do what I have been doing lately....unless the dictator gives first name, last name, spells it, and I'm 100% sure, I'm just typing it in manually (won't go out that way) even if I even suspect it is in the database.......

I foresee a serious clash with this new law and having ILPs.....and it just may finally be one in our favor.....although our jobs may boil down to simply checking every since report to ensure a correct CC. Sounds fun. NOT

I agree. - yippee

[ In Reply To ..]
I, for one, do not research addresses when the dictator says, "send a copy to Dr. so-and-so at blah blah blah practice in blah blah city."

I don't get paid for CCs, don't get paid for researching them either.

I type in "Dr. so and so" in the new CC field and send the report on.

I've been with MQ for far too long, and have never been told I had to research the addresses, fax numbers, etc.

If they aren't going to pay me for it, I'm not going to do it. They will get the bare minimum for CCs, and that's it.

It's bad enough we have to spend so much time researching terms spoken by a mush mouth or on a system full of static just to try to make sense of what was said.

I agree, why spend so much time on this, maybe get it wrong, get fined and/or fired!...nm - cc and header

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

What my lawyer said - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not addressing some of those ridiculous videos about sharing medical info about celebrities or giving info to attorneys for a cut, but just the basic potential transcription/ demographic-type mistakes that ARE GOING TO HAPPEN. We're humans and all make mistakes.

He told me that since we are employees of MQ, have taxes withheld, we are acting as agents for MQ. They will be the ones who get sued, not us. They are the ones who have errors and omissions insurance. That's why they're giving us the scare tactics. Ultimately, the doctors/dictators are the ones who sign the reports. If they sign a report containing an error, they shouldn't sign it.

The only thing this latest atrocity is doing is making us too nervous to keep up our line rate, and causing a hugh headache for MME/QA from all the blanks we leave and demo/cc information we're now leaving out. Maybe this is the first step in the collapse of the house of cards.

I agree with anon. NM... - TedEBear

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Similar Messages:

Just Spoke To My Broker
Jan 15, 2014

and my health care portfolio is up over 60% this year.  We sure know where the money isn't going don't we? ...

I Spoke Too Soon .. Some Old Cra* At SS. Didn't Even Get 4 Hours Of Work. Sm
Feb 05, 2011

Saturdays are usually the busiest day so this doesn't bode well.  I guess this just gives me time to test for a company that just emailed me yesterday.  There has to be something out there better than this.   If my other 2 jobs had enough work for me to go full time I would do it in a heartbeat, but they, unlike this miserable excuse for a company (SoftScript), do NOT overhire so I am just thankful I have the part-time work with them.  Guess tonight it is ice ...

I Will Be Getting A Lawyer
Aug 12, 2011

First I need to apologize to the MTStars and its posters for having submitted material for which I was temporarily banned.  I should have, and did not, clearly apply their rules to my posts.  I have been re-instated and I want to thank MTStars for allowing my return. I am going to be seeking a lawyer and will be documenting as much information as I can.  Hopefully it will be a two-fold case:  The first addressing off-shore, and the second addressing our less-than-o ...

Lawyer Contact
May 14, 2012

Will someone please post how to contact the attorney mentioned in so many of these messages.  I am ready to do that right now...might as well do something productive as I have NO WORK AGAIN TODAY!!! ...

What My Lawyer Said About FIESA
Jul 11, 2014

I was seeing my lawyer for other legal matters and asked him if he  knew anything about labor law.  He said a little.  I told him how we are paid by production, which includes providing our own computers, work environments at home, reading and responding to company email  and you know, every other little thing we have to do like searching for patients, etc., etc., etc., and now we are expected to log into FIESA and sign off on "errors."  He said off the top of his head, ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

Has Anyone Checked With A Lawyer About MM Not Paying For CCs And
Nov 26, 2012

demos when we're required to spend time searching and entering them?  How can we be required to spend hours and hours a week searching & entering "required" information but not be paid for that time or those lines?  Would it be a labor lawyer? ...

Went To Talk To A Lawyer Today....
Nov 20, 2014

.....been going on with my job as a medical transcriptionist for the last several years to see if I had any legal recourse (I don't).  Anyway, while we were talking I found out that he did not have a secretary/receptionst.  I told him if he was ever looking for one that I would be interested.  Then we got to talking about becoming a paralegal, and he said "you really don't want to do that".  He basically said lawyers can be jerks to work with, and when you are ...

Labor Board Or Lawyer
Dec 03, 2014

in all seriousness, can this be done legally?  what about the state minimum wage... the Labor Board should be notified or a lawyer to make sure this is legal.    ...

Lawyer Bills And IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

The idea of class action lawsuits is to get their $500 an hour attorneys looking at mounds of info. You only get attention dipping your hand into their pockets, deep at that. They will take attention then. It is a very valid claim. ...

Letter From Lawyer Today -- Re Transcend
May 24, 2013

The letter offers me to join in a lawsuit against Transcend.  Have you received one, and if so, if you plan to join the lawsuit, would you share your reasoning?  Do you think one might be "blacklisted" for joining such a lawsuit?  Also, I do not understand how they can sue Transcend if it is now part of Nuance?  ...

When A Company Doesn't Pay And You Can't Afford A Lawyer...
Apr 03, 2014

You're pretty much out of luck, right? A company didn't pay me, and I can't afford a lawyer to sue them as I'm flat broke. Do I have any options to get my money? ...

I Did Return Lawyer's Call And Leave A Message
May 13, 2012

I have to admit, it was tough calling - it just makes it all the more real - wow, these companies really have screwed us all over for years!  It is a painful realization...I mean, you KNOW you're getting screwed over...but when you make contact with the legal system...it's real in a way it wasn't before. However...I'm glad I called!!!!!!  I'm hoping other people will call as well - maybe if this law firm can't take it on, there will be some other law firm ...