A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The search for a good MT... - ndmt

Posted: Jun 15, 2010

I am just really troubled about this post that good MTs are hard to find.  While I agree there are bound to be some people that are not cut out for the MT business, I am just wondering how long MTSOs are going to allow that standard to continue.  This is some of my experience:

I have been hired by a MTSO that has been in business for 10 years yet not 1 single MT in the office. No one had a clue as to the account specs or ever worked on the platform. There was no training offered, some brief samples of selected really difficult authors, and the most abrasive QA I have ever experienced. I got hired and signed a contract for 1000 lines a day.  I never had close to that much work available in a day, and then the work completely dried up at which point I didn't hear from the company for a month. About that time, they had Christmas overflow and wanted to know when I was going to work, but I told them I had moved on since it had been so long since there was any work in my queue and no one responded to my e-mails.

My daughter graduated Career Step and got a job with the monster MTSO. As a new graduate, they offered her level 3 based on her experience (???) and almost fired her for not getting 98% QA. Upon reviewing the jobs she submitted, QA couldn't even fill in most of the blanks. She was allowed to stay for a while longer, but was always being berated for not doing enough lines for minimum wage yet when she pushed, her QA scores dropped. Even though she asked, she was never placed on a level 1 account. She eventually quit but they would have let her limp along doing work way over her head.

I also tried a part-time job with a company who paid 3 cpl for VR (I was desperate at that point), and their QA was paid 3.5 CPL to go through all my reports. There were so many corrections to what they called client style that I knew I was not going to work out. I left after 2 days as my style was way different than what they wanted. I e-mailed my supervisor telling her this was not a good fit, and she asked me to stay and fulfill my 2 weeks notice even though I was on 100% QA. So, essentially they were paying 6.5 CPL for every single report I did after that...double what they normally would have...and they weren't improving their TAT at all.

I can think of more examples, but my point is this...in each instance you could say the MT was not a quality MT or was not a good employee, but the MTSO never took any action. MTSOs are trading quality and good employees for the cheapest line rate. Those MTs that have held jobs for any duration probably think they are great employees since it is pretty impossible to get fired in this industry. I laugh every time I hear an MTSO say their MTs don't treat this like a real job...hey, neither do you and yet you're the dummy who cuts them a paycheck week after week after week.

Here are some of the suggestions I would make to any MTSO...

1.  One good MT is worth 2 or 3 bad ones.  Make your good employees feel valued and compensate them accordingly. Cut out the ones producing minimum lines or less or who need too much QA and take the cost of their benefits package and give your highest quality highest producers a raise. There are some of us who are dragging a little bit because we have had to take second jobs to pay the rest of the bills. Give us a chance and we'll step up to the plate - we would love to work 1 job again.

2.  Guarantee us a wage like a real job, and we will treat it like a real job.  I am willing to produce my butt off, but when I know there is always no work Monday mornings, I am not as likely to want to sit down and stare at a blank screen. I will probably be on the phone, doing a little laundry, or checking e-mail instead of working and I know you will just send an e-mail later saying that I owe lines or hours. I am more than happy to keep a set schedule and always be at work when I say I will if I am not expected to gamble on whether there is work or not and have to come back later if I lose the bet. Trust me, if I don't want to work at a job with a guaranteed minimum wage, someone else will, so you won't have to keep MTs who don't produce, show up for work, sit too long in jobs, etc.

3.  Pay a decent shift differential. Obviously, there is more help needed on the evening and weekend shifts or we wouldn't have offshoring problems. Do you know why bartenders love evenings and weekends...MONEY. Do you know why furniture salesmen love Sunday afternoons...MONEY. Do you know that an additional $7 a day is probably not enough of an attraction for people to want to give up every evening or 1 day every weekend? Be serious.  If you have to constantly invite people to get back on the system in the evenings because there is too much work, you need to make it more attractive to work evenings, and if you always have people available who need to get back on, your day shifts are overloaded.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I like your ideas and share in the frustration. - An MT who works every weekend

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an experienced MT who has been doing every specialty and every type of report you can imagine... for 25 years. I have been at job for about 9 months now and I think I have more than proven myself. They can always count on me and I think they know that. I have a good rapport with the team leads. Lately though I can hardly put in a complete 8-hour day. I am just dragging and those 8 hours feel like 10.

I also work the second shift and every single weekend, my days off are Tues and Wed. I started on one platform at over 4 cpl and then was switched to another one (better), but took a cut in pay to about 3.5 cpl. Right then I felt defeated. When I became available to receive benefits like PTO and health and dental insurance, I looked over the health insurance and found that I could not afford to pay nearly $200 a month. That would not have been so bad, but what really got me was the $5000 deductible. I mean, my gosh, that is just outrageous. I declined the insurance because of that and then ended up in the ER one night about 6 weeks ago with a kidney stone and had some followup appointments after that. I had passed a 5 mm stone but there remains a 9 mm stone in my left kidney. It might stay there forever or it might try to pass, (God, I hope not). If that happens and gets stuck in the ureter then I am probably looking at emergency surgery and probably about $50,000 hospital bill. Didn't mean to go into such detail about that but therein lies my frustration. I am really between a rock and a hard place.

I asked for a small raise, figuring I had some leverage because I declined that health insurance. No such luck. I asked for different hours, not every weekend, or even less hours (as I think life is just passing me by) and I don't have enough free time to enjoy it, money or not. They said if I did that they could not guarantee me work if I worked part time, PLUS I would get a cut in pay!!! A cut in pay... jeesh already.

My point is just what you say in your post. One good MT is worth maybe 2 or 3. I am that ONE good MT. I really know my stuff, hardly ever send anything to the que. Am very organized, and pretty much know what the doc is gonna say before he says it. This is just "in my blood" and yet feel very under-appreciated.

At my age now of 62 I just do not have the energy to look for another job and maybe find something worse than this situation. I could learn to live on little, as I am so in debt with medical bills not to mention the IRS when I was an IC, that I am becoming like a robot so to speak. It just makes me very sad that they cannot pay someone with tons of experience more than 3.5 cpl.

Sorry, I don't have any solutions or ideas, but just lots of frustration. Thanks for this post. You speak of which I know to be true.

I agree - see message - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
To the OP, thank you for your excellent post, I agree with all that you are saying. You mentioned your daughter and I did want to ask about Career Step. Did she have a positive experience and feel that she got a good education?

I think Career Step offered a good education (I went there as well), - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
but who she went to work for drove her out of the profession. Since they bought out the only other company who hired a majority of new graduates, I would think seriously about that aspect of it. I was very upset about the treatment she got.
To ndmt - SM - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I asked about Career Step because I am currently doing their medical coding and billing program. I like it and just wondered if you were satisfied with the transcription course, thanks.

Good MTs - magsnfla

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with the first 2 posts here completely. My QA score has been 99+% for over 2 decades and I've done everything except pathology. I responded to that post from the supposed MTSO who said she couldn't find good MTs. She replied by email, I sent my cover letter and resume and haven't heard back from her. How many MTs does she get with 25+ years experience and near perfect QA scores? I also have worked weekends for the past 3 years, only missed one Saturday which I let the client know 2 weeks in advance. I'm good, I'm reliable and I'm willing - what is wrong with these MTSOs?

To the first two posters - An

[ In Reply To ..]
I just really want to thank the first two posters for taking the time to put together such well thought out posts. It shows that a post can be negative or even simply venting while being articulate, informative and well, classy.

I have a hard time figuring out how much of the problem is the "bad" MTSOs and how much is the "bad" employees. Unfortunately, I think that the "bad" employees cause the MTSOs to over regulate thus taking away some of the perks that the good ones used to enjoy. Then again, I have also seen unreasonable greed in this field too! (I.e. not paying for spaces, templates, headers, etc.) Not to mention the "bad" economy and the globalization of all kinds of work.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know Of A Good Site That Will Search Medications
Sep 29, 2010

nm ...

Another Good Site To Search For Coding Jobs: Twitter
Mar 11, 2012

Yep, you read that right: Twitter. I have an account and just now I did a search at the top of the page, and you wouldn't believe all the results that came up, local results from different parts of the country posting coding jobs. It's great. So that's just FYI for y'all. ...

Good Sites To Search For Coder Jobs Besides Monster And Careerbuilder?
Mar 07, 2012

Anybody know? ...

I Just Wanted To Say Not To Give Up On A Search For A "good" MTSO
Nov 15, 2013

I have been looking for work since July. I recently started with Babbletype, even though their reputation on here was awful, but, I try to look at things from both sides. I mentioned my experience with them in a post below, so I am not going to reiterate it here. The other thing as well, is I have been waiting for my pay to be deposited into my PayPal account, which it should have been done on Wednesday and it still is not there. Not a heck of a lot, but when you need small things, every lit ...

Which Search Engine Do You Use To Search?
Jan 11, 2014

Wondering if everyone still uses just Google, or have you found something better? Curious to know! ...

Search Bar
Dec 12, 2012

Anyone else having problems with the search bar not coming up? ...

How Do I Search?
Oct 30, 2014

I'm trying to search the company board for RECENT info on several companies. When I hit search, it takes me to a blank screen that says MTStars search, and when I hit that, it takes me right back to the previous page. When I hit Archives, it only gives 2005-2009. ...

Job Search
Oct 31, 2014

Current employer switching to outsource.   Need help with compaies safe to look for or ones to stay away from.12 yrs experience. Thanks ...

Where Is The Search Function?
Oct 15, 2009

Can anyone tell me how to find the search function? It's probably staring me right in the face, and I just don't notice it. ...

HOW DO YOU SEARCH ON THIS BOARD NOW
Oct 16, 2009

How do you search now on this new board?   ...

Search Function
Oct 18, 2009

why is there no search function on here? ...

How Do You Search Anything On Here Anymore?
Oct 21, 2009

How do you search anything on here anymore?  If I want to check past posts on a particular company, etc.?  Did they do away with that?  If so I don't think that was a great idea.  I like to be able to look up info here by doing searchs of old posts first to see if my questions were already answered.  I don't want to waste someones time if they just answered the same question last week, etc. Can I still do a search and if so how? Thanks! ...

How To Do A Search On This Board??
Oct 22, 2009

Hi, I'm still trying to get accustomed to this interface.  I can't find the search feature...? Is it staring me right in the face? Thanks! ...

Search Engines
Apr 06, 2010

So, which ones do you use and gives you the best results? Just wondering if everyone still considers Google to be the best one around? ...

LANDMARK . . . Most Of The Search I Have Done . . . Sm
May 16, 2010

shows pretty happy people here.  Are you concerned about going to VR?  Would like to know if now is a good time to join the company or not.   How is the VR with landmark? ...

Search Option
Jul 11, 2010

Hi, Is there a search query anywhere on the MTStars website?  I recall there used to be one, but I cannot find it.  Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Just Something I Noticed About Name Search--sm
Oct 12, 2010

If it is taking a long time to do a name search, doctor or patient, I just stop and and do it again and it goes right to it.  This is the same for "accepting" patient visit. ...

Was The Search Feature Taken Away??? Sm
Jan 22, 2011

So, when we went to UltiPro did they take away the Search feature for looking up old reports, patients, etc?   I tried this morning and it went straight to statistics?   I get so stinking mad when they keep changing things.  I guess they don't care about FTR any longer?  I used the Search a lot... ...

Search The Archives
Feb 15, 2011

I have seen people say a few times that they have already searched the archives.  Well how do I do this?  I do not see anywhere with a search box.  I have questions regarding a companies and do not want to repeat questions if they have already been answered.  Thanks. ...

Cannot Use Search Anywhere On MTSTARS
Aug 17, 2012

I am trying to do a search on MTSTARS, but when I hit the search button, I get a message there is "error on page" and nothing shows on the page -- totally blank.  I tried hitting the search button on other categories, and that also does not work.  Can anyone help me?  So that I can use the "search" button on MT Stars? ...

From Another Job Search Site
Apr 25, 2013

Medical Language SpeialistsAnd QC Editors Needed! ...

Your Forum Search Is Still Not Available
Aug 17, 2013

. ...

Which Search Engine Do You Use?
Oct 02, 2013

Wondering which search engine you use to find words? Is it just Google or are there other search engines you've found works better for finding words? ...

Anybody Having Problems With ADT Search Currently?
Dec 04, 2013

It's either very slow or giving my a System or Communication Error. ...

Search Function?
Jan 14, 2014

Is it just me or is there a problem with the Search function????  I am only able to do a Google search, not within MTStars itself.... ...

No Search Box Coming Up
Apr 10, 2014

Does anyone else have trouble when clicking Search where no search box comes up?  Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't for a very long time.  Just wondering if it is my computer or what.  Anyone else have that trouble? ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

What Happened To The Search Option?
Oct 12, 2009

When will it be restored? ...

Does Anyone Else Really Miss The Search Option
Oct 19, 2009

in this website?  Sometimes I was able to search for something and find an answer in old threads and not have to post the question and wait.  ...