A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Proofing your work - Janet

Posted: Feb 24, 2010

Yikes, I am glad I proof my work.  The physician dictated "palpation reveals a firm mass";  I had typed "firm mass (but without the M in mass)".   I am relieved that I caught it!

proofing - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL! Thank you so much for the morning laugh.

It was that repeated-m sequence that - almost got you.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've noticed this phenomenon before, especially with really fast typist where the second of two repeated letters doesn't get picked up , even with an intervening space. I think it's probably a bit of a timing/keyboard thing.

I've made auto corrections for such words - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
to try to ensure that I don't miss the m in mass, that I type cough instead of couch, lobe instead of love, did instead of die and for when I get really tired and my brain jumbles my fingers and they start hitting the keys in any old order, the letters s...h...i...t will correct to read properly as "this."

Can you imagine...Right lower love pneumonia. The patient has a couch for 1 week. Eek lol

That was PRICELESS! LOL !!!! ;D - nm - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]

I learned the hard way... - Proof and RE-proof

[ In Reply To ..]
When I first started MTing, maybe two weeks after I had started, I was using my new 'auto correct' type program.

I had created a bunch of abbreviations such as WF = white female, WM = white male, BF = black female, and BM = Well of course, bowel movement!

One day, I was in my doctor's office where I work, and she brings to me the report I typed the day before, and she is rolling on the floor laughing at me.

Dictated: 48-year-old black male presents to office...

Transcribed: 48-year-old bowel movement presents to office...

Sixteen years later, she is still giving me a hard time about this!

The moral of the story: 1)Proof your work, and 2) Be careful what abbreviations you use and how they might accidentally expand. ;-)

Love it!! - Janet

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

Proofing
Oct 20, 2009

would anybody proof for 2 cents per line?  that seems awfully low to me so just looking for some feedback.  ...

Proofing Tips
Jun 01, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their proofreading tips. I find that VR requires a much higher level of concentration and focus to catch errors. The text on the screen can become a blur. After a couple of hours it is so easy to "hear" what the voice engine blew out and not catch a small but significant error. I am finding that something that needs to be deleted from the text is actually harder to catch than something that needs to be changed or added. Any tips would be helpful. I do see m ...

Proofing Of Vasectomy Procedure
Nov 19, 2009

I was wondering if someone could quickly proof and give me feedback on a vasectomy procedure.  This was a doctor with quite an accent and I am not terribly famiilar with some of the terminology for this type of procedure.  The left vas was grasped with a towel clip through the skin and a short linear incisoni was made down to the vas and the vas was cleaned of adventitial tissue.  Cautery was used to control the bleeding of the skin and around the vas.  The proximal end of t ...

Safely Elminate Proofing?
Aug 10, 2010

I have read on here before that some people do not proof (only as they go) before sending their reports.  I am wondering if there is really a safe way to do that? I always proof and most often finding something wrong.  Sometimes I accidentally use an incorrect expander.  When I am typing and reading as I go, I see it expanding but don't notice it is the wrong thing until I go back and proof.  Other times I skip over a word, which is a pain, because when proofing I am of ...

Why Would My Reports Suddenly Go Through Proofing?
Jan 10, 2013

Haven't failed an audit, tier 3, and suddenly my reports are going through proofing today. And the only changes made are those preference ones where it doesn't matter anyway... (I still don't get why a proofer would waste time changing stuff that doesn't make a difference.) Crazy... ...

Compensation For Research, Proofing, And Demos?
Dec 11, 2012

So I guess that was just legal boilerplate for CYA, since there were no pay changes for EditScript.  Like what we're paid per line automatically includes enough "extra" to cover for these duties, supposedly.  "Base Pay Program Philosophy .... Compensates for all time spent typing and editing reports; to include researching, proofing, and demographics" (I always screenshot these conferences/presentations, since we never get any written/e-mail followup that includes all the ...

Proofing Advice Needed Badly
May 03, 2013

I badly need your tips on proofing and what works for you.  I was always taught (sorry, old school) to type your document and then proof the entire thing, but that takes a long time, especially when documents are 30+ minutes long.  Using that method I do not get any errors.  But I am told I need to speed up, so I tried THEIR way of proofing as I go along, but last night made many errors, ugh!  What works for you?  Your tricks?  Your methods? Any tips on speeding up, ...

Anyone Transition To MT/Editor To Copy Proofing Or Editing Non-medical?
Mar 09, 2015

Just wondering if anyone has been able to cross over to that field?  I'm currently working on my first proof/editing job for a novel written by a family member for free as a favor to them and really enjoy that type of work versus the structured MT/Editor work I've done for over a decade.  I would love to get out of MT all together if possible and was wondering if any of you were able to make that transition.  Thanks in advance! ...