A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do you report a doctor for dictating on a cell phone? - none

Posted: Jan 04, 2010

He's been told and told not to do this and he still does it.  Isn't that  HIPAA violation, since cell phones are not secure?

How about the entity that told him not to do it. - Your employer, perhaps? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I reported it to the higher ups when I heard - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
a person I knew was using their cell phone. When we first started doing voice, some even dictating from their cars and told they could not, voice was not able to pick it up. I just ask uppers to take a listen to such and such. I really do not think though it is against the rules per HIPAA though.

Drs dictating on cell phones - KA

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure about the HIPAA regulations and cell phones, but as far as being hard to hear, your manager at your job should know who to contact to have a talk with him. Some places wouldnt dare ask the physicians to not dictate on the cell phone, but larger places might.
Depends on where they are using the cell - huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
as to whether or not it is a HIPAA violation.

If they are out in public dictating over the phone then yeah, cause other people can hear.

If they are sitting in their office and for some reason have decided to dictate over the cell, it may not be a violation, depending on who is listening in.

However, I have a paralegal degree and was always told in ethics that a cell phone is not a secure form of communication and you should expect other people to hear what is being said over a cell phone. Therefore, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I think it is tasteless for doctors to dictate in this manner. Of course, I just busted a doc for dictating on the hall phone in the ER of the local hospital here. I had my son in there for stitches and he was standing right outside the door of the room we were in dictating someone else's H&P! The door was open and I heard everything he said. I told him off and then turned him in to compliance at the hospital.

Cell phones are not secure at all sm - Bunion

[ In Reply To ..]
Friend brought over a scanner one day. Little girlie crusing in her daddy's car gave out her cell phone number to her friend and we heard it and I, the sarcastic one I am, called it and told her we were listening to her. She about pottied her panties. Trust me, do not say anything on a cell that you do not want anyone to hear, as "we" are listening. TRUE STORY, I SWEAR TO GOD

Love
Bun

Yup, she's VERY right!!! - HatesLosers

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, yeah - I believe you!!! I used to work as a 911 operator and had a scanner in the house just to hear what was going on while I was not at work. I had a conversation with my mother, who lived around the corner from us, one night from work and my husband had the scanner on at home - uh, he heard me make a disparaging comment about his sainted mother and, uh....well, needless to say, the scanner mysteriously disappeared the next day!!! He did too eventually, but that's another story!!!

CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY ON A CELL PHONE!!!

Similar Messages:

I Am Tired Of Trying To Understand Doctors Dictating On Cell Phones On The Way Home
Aug 06, 2011

I have left notes about bad audio and hard to understand dictation and these doctors still persist in dictating on trains, cars, etc.  What do you do. ...

Cell Phone Dictation :p
Jul 21, 2012

I know someone recently talked about this here, but just thought I'd ask how common is this now?  My last account, which I lost to offshoring, had about 5% cell phone dictators, but this new account seems to have over 20%.  It's driving me crazy - tearing my hair out - almost bald at this point.  :P    ...

Cell Phone Dictation
Sep 28, 2012

What do you do when you have a bunch of dictators who are using cell phones, causing you to leave a bunch of spaces,  and your MTSO refuses to address the problem? ...

Cell Phone Dictations
Dec 29, 2012

As long as you (doc) dictate on a cell phone, I PROMISE to leave blanks in your reports!!  RIDICULOUS!  This company does not pay us enuf to struggle through that crap.  Blankity, blank, blank, blank... ...

Anyone Get Their Cell Phone Discount?
May 19, 2014

I signed up back in February because supposedly Mmodal through JP Morgan was offering discounts on cell phone plans. They sent an email directing us to the website that is being used currently for the MT week stuff. I signed up and was supposed to receive 25% off but it is now May and I am still waiting to see a difference on my bill. Was this a joke? Was this only for corporate people? ...

Cell Phone Discount
May 22, 2014

Does anyone know if Verizon offers us a discount? TIA ...

Cell Phone Discount Thru MModal
May 22, 2014

I saw a post on here the other day regarding discounts thru MModal thru JP Morgan and immediately called my cell phone carrier.  I had to give them my work email so they could verify.  I did have to change the cell phone bill into my name, which meant getting a new account.  It took quite a while, but worth it as I was eligible for a 23% discount on my data package, which they say is the most expensive part of the bill.  Hey, any savings nowadays is worth an hour on the ...

Best Clients Ever. He Just Redictated A Cell Phone Dictation
Apr 02, 2012

I have the nicest clients ever. After contacting office staff that the physician's dictation was problematic due to the cell phone used, the physician redictated this on a landline. Wow! Nicest ever! I thought I was going to be up all night deciphering this, as this particular cell phone recorded extremely bad. He did not even wait for the prior to come in with potential blanks but redictated it. This is the same client I have that reinstalled their landline after installing a VOiP system t ...

Cell Phone Dictation Barely Audible
Jul 24, 2012

I just had the worst cell phone dictation in my life, about 6 pages long, barely audible, lots of static, and there's more to come now.  I wrote a note to the hospital, but I'm sure it'll be ignored.  Anyone have any luck complaining about this?  It's a nightmare. ...

OK I Have A Doctor Dictating A Re-dictation
Mar 14, 2012

I distinctly remember doing the original dictation a few weeks back...Now I have to wonder if I got paid for that job...How do they get lost? this was a unique kind of report so there is no doubt in my mind it was transcribed and sent through... ...

Lousy Dictating Doctor
Sep 01, 2012

Why do we get berated when the doctor is known to be a mumbler and you know he knows what he is doing? This guy CONSTANTLY has blanks in his reports, no accent, no excuse.  He's just lazy and doesn't care.  I wish there was a way of issuing fines for these doctors when they get these many blanks in their reports.  You'd think it would be some sort of legal issue since the reports are basically incomplete.  Just a thought. ...

Dear Dictating Doctor...
Jul 18, 2013

Dear dictating doctor, if you can't speak Engilish, please do not waste my time or yours.   Thank you.    I really feeling making a macro of this and putting at the end of every impossible ESL dictating doctor. Seriously, what are some docs thinking?  Can't come up with words, sentance structure horrible, changing mind every sentance.   Please, I implore..GET SOMEONE TO DICTATE FOR FOR YOU!!!!!!! ...

Hey Doctor, Why Not Just Eat Lunch While You're Dictating!
Sep 14, 2014

Yeah! - kill two birds with one stone.  Chew that food thoroughly too, roll it around in your mouth with your mouth open and smack up that taste, then swallow hard while pronouncing a crucial word.   I hate you!! ...

Doctor Is Dictating Quick-Tape Cast
Jun 21, 2010

Doctor is dictating Quick-Tape cast.  Is it Quick-Tape cast, quick-tape cast, or Quik-Tape cast?  Cannnot document any of these.  TIA for any help. ...

Doctor Dictating See Patient Back Peripherally.
May 29, 2014

Doctor repeatedly dictates at end of her office  notes will see patient back peripherally.  When asked about this, she says yes, that is what she means to say.  Has anyone heard of "PERIPHERALLY" used in this manner in dictation?  If so, what does this mean because I cannot verify this as being correct.  Thanks :) ...

Doctor Dictates The White Blood Cell Count As 12.3 Thousand
Oct 21, 2009

I have not heard this in a long time and I forget how to transcribe it.  The doctor dictates the white blood cell count as 12.3 thousand.  Do I leave it like that, or is it 12,300??? TIA ...

One Would Think Dictating A Report While Riding
Mar 20, 2012

on a train would be against HIPAA, unless of course one has a private car where no one else can hear you.  Never mind the fact that the clickity clack of the train is louder than the dictator.  sheesh ...

Dear Doctor Get That Phone Out Of Your Mouth
Apr 26, 2013

nm ...

Help - Where Do I Insert Doctor Number In Report?
Nov 09, 2010

Anyone know where to insert this dictation in report:   "Doctor number XXXX" ...

Nearly 21 Minute Report Of Another Doctor's Dictation
Jan 01, 2014

I had a long, long report that was filled up mostly with another doctor's dictation, who was sitting nearby going a mile a minute dictating on his patient while my dictating doctor sat quietly thinking.  At least, I guess that's what he was doing, hard to tell, he was so quiet while page after page filled up with the report from another patient.  When my doctor resumed speaking, it was hard to find where his dictation began again.  The actual report turned out ...

Doctor Is Dictating MR SPECT, Should SPECT Be Capitalized? TIA (nm)
Dec 28, 2011

xx ...

In A Cancer Report, The Doctor Gave A Diagnosis Of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 Cancer
Jun 14, 2013

In a cancer report, the doctor gave a diagnosis of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 cancer.  Then she later said, He was staged as a pathological T4aN2a.  She added the a and dropped the M0.   I listened very carefully for the diagnosis and later in the problem list.  She does not add the a after the N2 in either place.    Does anyone know why it is N2a in one place but just N2 in the DX?  ...

Psych Report + Doctor Says "full Psy-A"
Sep 11, 2010

On a psych consultation the doctors says what sounds like "full psy-A" indicates a high level of obsessiveness. I researched this heavily for an acronym that would match that study and did not find it.  I finally decided he was speaking in a clipped manner for "full psychoanalysis". What do you think? This is a new job and a new doc to me, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.  ...

Called Report To The "MOB" Doctor.
Jun 16, 2015

"The patient was recommended to be admitted for further observation and evaluatoin as well as management as needed.  I called report to the MOD, Dr. XXX."   This is an ESL doctor, so I may be slightly off on my letters, but I have never heard of MOD and can't find anything.  Does anyone know if this is correct or what MOD is?  ...

Does C-phone Work With Cable Phone Line
May 11, 2015

I am thinking about switching my current phone line and going with a bundle deal for our second house.  Does Dictaphone C-phone work through a cable phone line?  I still have the copper wiring at my primary home because I was afraid to switch it so didn't include the phone service in our cable package there.  Thanks!    ...

C-phone With Digital Phone Line
Jun 06, 2012

Anyone know if the C-phone will work with a digital phone line ? (I think it's also called a VOiP line).  I'm moving to a new place that has a digital line & don't know if I should have a regular phone line installed instead. Thanks for any help. ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

AT&T Phone That Is NOT A Smart Phone?
Aug 07, 2011

Daughter needs a need phone.  Don't want to have to buy a data plan.  What is NOT a Smart Phone these days, but has a full keyboard for texting?  Thanks. ...

How Is One To Make Line Count When You Get Report After Report Sm
Mar 05, 2014

that is less than 30 lines; dictator who repeats every sentence with 1 subtle change; DEAD AIR, etc.  It is stressful enough that I'm losing money today but to be stressed out about line count and being perfect...I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! ...

Can Someone Please Take Their Cell Phones Away?
May 05, 2011

I swear she is on a cell phone in a low service area on speaker mode.  Aren't they supposed to dial in on a hospital phone?  At one time a few years back, I thought it was against HIPAA to use cell phones for dictation.  Drives a person nutty. ...