A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding Classes - tons of schools - MT

Posted: May 10, 2010

I have looked at tons of schools and read tons of info.  I am down to AAPC or Career step.  Which one is better?  And have you taken either at career step or AAPC

coding - kb

[ In Reply To ..]
I am taking it at my local junior college. Are these other ones you talk about better?

Don't know AAPC - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but a coworker is enrolled in the CS coding course after taking their transcription course, which I also took some years ago. She says the course is full of errors and has no explanations for answer keys, making the info very hard to learn.

The CS transcription course wasn't amazing, but I probably got what I paid for. The wrong answers were not problems I had with the transcription course.

well who took the class your coworker or yourself? did you pay for her exam? - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
you said your coworker took CS and it was full of errors?

but second paragraph says you probably got what you paid for?

who took the CS? you or your coworker?

We both took CS trans. - Clarifying

[ In Reply To ..]
course some years ago, and my coworker is now taking the coding course. I'm not knocking the course, as I have no experience myself. I was just offering the info I have heard.

Quips like, "One must ignore the negative posters who knock some programs" is simply choosing to ignore negative comments in favor of something you're very interested in, while ignoring the potential problems or consequences.

Ultimately, do look at the cons AND pros before choosing any program. There will be negative and position information for any course you investigate. Much of the information is probably true, but that doesn't make it "negative." Just choose a combination of pros and cons that will work for you, whether or not your choice is Career Step. I have no stake in which school you choose. I was simply trying to offer some helpful information, which was, I think, what you asked for.

My experience with Career Step's transcription course (not coding) was that it was very basic and self-guided, and, primarily, cheaper than others. If price is a major factor for you, then perhaps Career Step should be higher on your list. If price is not so much a consideration and/or you need more support and guidance, i.e., a mentor or teacher, you might look at other programs.

Please do not calls posters "negative," simply because something the poster says conflicts with something you believe. Calling someone "negative" simply because you disagree is just an underhanded form of name calling.

Good luck with your decision!
Forum guest pass - Clarifying again
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't take my word for it. Career Step used to offer guest passes to their transcription and coding forums to potential students. Get a pass and see what the coding students are discussing. If they're discussing not errors, call me and my coworker liars. If errors are a point of contention, perhaps the posters saying they can't find errors should study a bit more.

Do your own research. Don't take my word or theirs. Good luck, again.

I am not noticing the errors you mention - see message - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
In the coding course.

because there are NONE - they were just knocking CS for their own reasons m

[ In Reply To ..]
one must ignore the negative posters who knock some programs. Besides look at it this way, "is HER shoe gonna be a good fit for YOUR foot"? No its not.

:-)
P.S. I am signing up for Career Step after six weeks of constant research on every medical coding program there is out THERE. It fits my budget and it fits the way I want to learn. This can only be decided upon on an individual basis. The Andrews School is a wonderful school to, but it wasnt for me.
You can't know - Clarifying
[ In Reply To ..]
that there are none if you haven't even enrolled yet, right? Not saying there are errors, since I'm not enrolled either, but neither of us can know. We're both basing what we say on the experience of others.
You can't know either - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
If you're not enrolled. I'm not sure why the OP mentioned it at all when the whole thing is based on hearsay.
I also wanted to say - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
That the CS coding forums and chat rooms are for students and graduates only. I don't know when they were offering guest passes but they are not doing it now.
CS has a "potential students" board - Clarifying
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine why they would offer this forum if they weren't still allowing guest passes. Do contact them if you're interested.
In fact, I see a post there from last week - Clarifying
[ In Reply To ..]
by someone who is considering enrolling but not yet enrolled, asking the differences between packages before she purchases.
Right, that's what I said - Clarifying
[ In Reply To ..]
See the post.

Similar Messages:

I Want To Take Coding Classes ...
Jun 26, 2012

I want to take coding classes, but the school that everybody says is the best is an online course.  I am an MT, working full time and then some.  The last thing I want to do is sit in front of the computer any more than I already do.  Why can't these classes be offered in a regular class setting?  I've never liked the idea of online school as long as I'm working on line.  Just too much sitting and staring at the screen.  I don't think I'm al ...

Best Places To Take Coding Classes?
Oct 08, 2010

What are some of the best places to take coding classes?  I want to make sure it is going to teach me and not leace me in the open.  THanks ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

Books For Coding Classes (sm)
Mar 17, 2012

We are using the book "Basic ICD-9-CM Coding."  I would like to know what other books other schools are using for Coding I.  I do not think this book is the best for me!  Can anyone suggest any others? ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

A Question About The Andrews Coding Classes.
Apr 14, 2015

If you've been an MT for 20 years, will they let you skip or test out of some of the classes that pertain to things we already know, or do you have to take them all? ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Coding Classes Through A Distance Learning Program
Aug 01, 2010

I work full-time as an MT and take coding classes through a distance learning progam, I'm about half way through and have just started to learn coding; first inpatient, then outpatient.  My MT job is good now, on-site with plenty of work and good pay, but we are moving to EPIC and VR and job cuts are imminent within the next year or so.  I am thinking ahead to coding jobs, though, and recently applied for a medical records clericial position where a small amount of coding would be involv ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

So Many Coding Schools..recommendations?
Jun 23, 2011

I'm one of many MTs who are considering coding. I want to do acute care coding, or hospital/surgical. I've spoke with Allied, AAPC, and both sound reasonable for CPC-H certification. Does anyone have any experiences with either or other schools/courses they will share? ...

Before You Commit To Coding Schools
May 16, 2011

Hi all, I just wanted to say, before you commit to a coding course, make sure you have enough time to study! I started Andrews School last year, and right after I started I found out I was pregnant.  I work a full time job and now have a new baby.  After I completed the first module and started the second module, I was so stressed out I needed a break, now I am having trouble getting back into the swing of things and finding the time to study.  My entire tuition is paid for and I ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Coding And Billing Schools
Sep 16, 2011

Just lost my part-time transcripton job and starting to hear that this field is becoming extinct. Thinking about going to school online for billing and coding.  Anybody know of a oustanding accredited school?  Do not want to waste time and money barking up the wrong tree.  Is it costly? ...

Choices Of Schools For Coding
Jan 10, 2012

I am trying to sort through the different options out there for education in coding - is there an online school that most of you would recommend?  I am officially out of  MT'ing after 20 years, threw up my hands, literally, gave up trying to make a living at it.  I would probably use up half of my savings for schooling, but after many months of trying on different "hats", so to speak, in the work force, my heart is pulling me back to the medical field.  Opinions??? ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

One More Question On Schools... Meditec. Does Anyone Know Much About The Coding Course Offered Thro
Nov 07, 2010

Just cannot decide between Meditec, AAPC, Career Step or Andrews.... ARGHHH   I am hoping to get into outpatient coding, preferably in an orthopedic practice!  I want the most in-depth training that is out there.  I want to be fully prepared.  If Andrews is most expensive but offers the most in-depth training, I will go with them.  It's a hard decision to make especially with so many different schools out there! ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Suggestions Please. I Have A GI Doctor Who Does Tons
Mar 29, 2012

of colons and EGDs.  He has a tendency to turn away from the phone when dictating and he also has a very difficult accent to understand plus there is a lot of noise in the room.  I can get him fine unless I cant hear him when he does this turning away and looking somwhere else.  Is there something to say to him to try to get this across.  I can put notes on his reports.  Very frustrating and for some reason you can only get the sound up so far on this new system they hav ...

Is It Worth It To Go Back To School And Accumulate Tons Of
Sep 26, 2013

I really, really, really want to go back to school.  Problem is, I'm a single parent living on my one income which is going down pretty much every month.  Being an MT just isn't working anymore.  I want to go back to school, but in order to do that, I would need to take out some serious student loans just to help me pay my bills, let alone pay the school debt.  I have an AA degree already, so I think it would take me about 2 more years to get my bachelor's degr ...

Saince - Hiring Tons Of MTs For Psych Work
Oct 17, 2013

Reportedly hiring tons of MTs for psych work.  Last reference I can find to them was in April and not at all flattering. Anybody recently sign on who would care to share rates and whether or not you've been paid on time and in full?  ...

Express Scribe Question - I Have Tons Of Files Just Sm
May 05, 2015

just sitting there and it's running slow.  I saw that I have 0 days selected to delete.  When I delete one file at a time it takes up to a minute.  Is there a way to select several at a time and delete, or even try and delete all of them? When I hit select but program did sort of hung up and did not respond.  It will take me days to get all these files out of here..... Any help would be appreciated.  Loading up new voice files is getting slower and slower by the day ...

Mt Classes
Jul 24, 2013

I was at our county fair this afternoon (town of 2200) and I know someone who works in the on-line tech school office and she said that the MT classes are going strong and students are graduating and getting jobs, but apparently they are in-house.  I am going to get the teacher's name and number and call her and see where they are going and how much they are making as this does not make sense at all.  The place the classes come out of is about 80,000 people and I know that all the ...

Rutherford Classes...sm
Nov 27, 2009

Rutherford classes - should they be Arabic or Roman Numerals?  TIA. ...

Friedman Classes
Mar 13, 2012

I am getting back into typing for ENT and am blaking on how to transcribe "Friedman" classes - is it using roman numerals or arabic?  Friedman class III tonsils, class I palate?  Can anyone shed some light on this? ...

Required Classes
Mar 28, 2013

I am furious. Now, we are required to take classes on our own time without being reimbursed. What nerve. ...

Enrich Classes
Jun 26, 2014

Is it just me or are you fed up with this company's requirements to attend online classes to "YOU TOO CAN BE 99% PERFECT"?  I can't get out of this garbage fast enough.  I attended on online class today that I felt I was in romper room.  F- this!  How do any of you continue to put with this company's mandates? ...

Taking On Line Classes
Aug 05, 2011

I wonder how many of us transcribers are getting trained in other professions or cross training.  I am going to start an accounting class on line this month.  ...