Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

I'm almost there - MT3

Posted: Mar 10th, 2023 - 2:45 am In Reply to: I just let go of my last remaining MT job. - dncnfingers

Everything I type now is either QMEs, recorded statements for insurance, or committee minutes. I personally make just as much money typing those as I did typing medical work, so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, just as long as I don't run out of work.

I do think that legal transcription is going to last, because legal takes the concept of "verbatim" very seriously, and they are willing to pay to ensure that they get it.

By the way, if anybody wants to make real money transcribing, the company called Allegis is looking for legal transcriptionists on the various employment websites. I recently tried and failed at typing legal depositions (actual attorneys questioning witnesses for actual court cases) there, but others might not. Entry level pays $1.75 to $2.00 per page. Second-level folks earn $2.00 to $3.00 per page, and certified transcriptionists earn $2.75 to $4.00 per page.

It wasn't hard to type about 20 pages per hour there (one minute of deposition averages out to 0.8 pages of typed document), but with all the legal document rules, the formatting, and the very-exacting grammar/punctuation demands, I could never produce the perfect document that Allegis was expecting, so I resigned while still in training before I got tossed out (or gave myself an ulcer).

So yes, that kind of legal transcription can be extremely good money if you're extremely good at attention to detail. Allegis seems willing to hire anyone who either has legal experience or is willing to spend the $180 and 4-6 weeks doing the legal transcription/grammar training program through another company called Blue Ledge (which I actually recommend: even though it sounds like a ripoff or scam, I'm a better transcriptionist now than I was prior) before starting the /actual/ 3-5 weeks of job training with Allegis itself. Just go into it understanding that they really expect a perfect document, and it's going to take a substantial amount of time and effort to get to "day 1" of the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)