Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I was "fortunate" to - moi

Posted: Dec 7th, 2020 - 12:43 pm In Reply to: New MT seeking advice on where/how to get started. - Lacey

be living in West Virginia at the time 25 years ago and I answered a newspaper ad. The hospital in the smaller town where I lived was short of help and I was allowed to be trained on site. The MTs there were gracious enough to answer whatever questions I had. They gave me the easiest work at first. I went on to be an MT for over 20 years and learned most all the specialties as my husband and I moved around the country and eventually was working for a global company on-line. It was a good career until speech recognition arrived. Then things got ugly. I am happily retired now. Everything has changed in the last few decades. I truly pity anyone starting out now. I imagine a few geniuses could make it and climb up the ladder, but for the average MT like me (who by the way graduated in the top 10 percent of my high school class) it would be very difficult. People are so nasty and the companies are in it only for the money. If you have supplementary income and/or a spouse who makes good money, I suppose you could make it work. But the good old days are long gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)