Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I'm an IC ... a real one - romiha

Posted: Jan 18th, 2020 - 9:03 am In Reply to: How many of you ICs really feel you are an IC? I have been - an IC for, sm

So, in 1994, I started my own MT "business." Back in the good old days - Word Perfect 5.1 DOS and fax machines, cassette tapes, bulk tape erasers, etc.!

I called my own shots. I promised 24 hour turnaround so in that regard, I could transcribe whenever I wanted to. I didn't have to stick to a schedule. If there was no work, there was no work and that was that. The client was my QA. If I messed up, they told me so. I was able to suggest "tweaks" - to improve efficiency on both our parts. Over time, most of my clients either succombed to EHR and cut me out, or retired. I still have 2 of my original clients - but one only has me transcribing letters, no more chart notes. In 2006, I signed on with an MTSO - as an employee - but of course the MT world started going downhill - with VBC, loss of benefits, reduction in CPL. That MTSO retired and sold out to another MTSO in 2015 and in 2018 they switched to VR - along with loss of clients and more reduction in pay. I quit working for them in mid-2018 to move in with and care for my elderly parents. I still transcribe for "my" two remaining clients and since my mom passed away last summer (she had Alzheimer's), now I'm working at a grocery store yet still caring part-time for my dad who only needs a little bit of daily care.

Working as an IC for an MTSO is NOT the same thing AT ALL! With my clients, I choose my hours, I choose my "platform". So long as they get the completed documents "on time" everything is good.

I really miss those good old days and have such fond memories!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)