Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

It is funny to see this post when everyone seems to be leaving - sm

Posted: Jun 14th, 2017 - 11:15 pm In Reply to: Thinking About - Applying

So many MModal employees are retraining for different fields, applying for unemployment, posting here for advice on finding jobs elsewhere, in different fields, or otherwise leaving. Rare to see someone who would actually want to get hired! I personally can't stand it anymore either and am training for a different field.

But to answer your questions. You would be hired as an employee. The insurance premiums doubled in January. For a family of four it is up around $500 every 2 weeks. Without a spouse, with kids, it might be around $130, IIRC.

They pay 4 cents a line for VR, and 99.9% of the work is VR and you will never, ever get a raise for as long as you are employed here (although there is someone here who says if you meet all the metrics and ask for a raise, you might be able to work your up way to 5.5 to 6 cents eventually). I have been doing this 20 years and I am around 220 LPH and I barely make enough now to pay the bills. It is less than half what I made 10 yeas ago.

Most of us have not had regular work since January. On my team this is only just now beginning to improve. But up til now, we have been running out constantly and we are required to make up time or use our own PTO (paid time off) or excused-absence-no-pay hours (we are allotted a certain number per year) to cover the time we cannot work because of no jobs available (NJA).

Audits on some teams are done daily or every few days and you are expected to score 99.6% or higher. Lines per hour requirement is 165. They monitor your clock in and out times closely and make sure they match up, they monitor your "inactive" time, which is how much time you are logged in but not actually typing or listening to audio, how many blanks you have and how many reports you send to QA with blanks (too many and your pay is docked).

The thing about MModal is that your happiness will depend on the team you are put on, which is random. You may get all ESL doctors, you may get a supervisor who is a nightmare, or you might get decent accounts or a decent supervisor. You may not have an account but get reports from all over the US. There is just no way to know. Your account might get shipped off to India, which happens regularly, and you may have little work until you are switched to a different team or a new account comes in... sometimes only to then be shipped off again to India. Or you may be on a relatively steady account that stays in the US. As I said, there is just no way to tell. Some accounts are all partial dictations, some are partial and full, some are all full, again it is just luck of the draw.

But the platform we work on is not bad (Fluency) if you ignore the fact that all the IT was moved to India a few years ago. You will get paid on time, which counts for something. You will have regular hours, if not necessarily regular work.

I hope that is helpful. People stay at MModal for various reasons, including being able to work from home, but I don't think anyone would say it is ideal.

My thought lately is that they expect an expert level of knowledge at a Wal-Mart level of pay. I love MT and I don't think I ever would have left if things hadn't gotten this bad. It's time to move on.

But there may be something here for you. Again, if you are lucky enough to get a good team and a good supervisor, you might do well.

Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)