Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

how bad could it get - contingency plans

Posted: Apr 29th, 2017 - 2:47 am In Reply to: Yes - and yes

I have run the gauntlet, with a decades-long employer who stuck it to me completely, two part-times who fired me for no reason, others who "hired" me, only to provide a few minutes of work one day, an avalanche the next. So, I have had at least 2 MT jobs at all times for the last 7 years or so (I have 3 right now), because I know I can't trust anyone, things can turn on a dime (like a half decent job that cut my pay in half 2 weeks before Christmas)(and another that wooed me away from my decades-long job and turned out to be complete psychopaths -- but at least they weaned me off the job I kept hoping would turn around). Anyway, I always make sure I have at least two jobs in case things go south with one of them and I will have one steady paycheck before I secure the next one. And oh, how that strategy has saved my butt. In case anyone is wondering, I have been an MT/QA for 30 years, lightning typist, top accuracy reviews, never been let go for cause...yeah, no one is safe. BUT I have finally found my new niche and it is web design. Long story short, it is exactly the programming and design I was doing as a graphic designer before I was seduced into MT; I should be out between 3 and 6 months. So, never give up looking, never think you're too old. Just keep banging your head against the wall until something gives. If you do, IT WILL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
  • How bad could it get - Has anyone (Views: 1052, 2017-04-28, 9:34 pm)
    • Yes - and yes (Views: 636, 2017-04-28, 10:19 pm)
      • how bad could it get - contingency plans