Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

At this point, I think the only thing MTs can - realistically do is QUIT. (sm)

Posted: Aug 23rd, 2016 - 5:35 pm In Reply to: What can be done? - Anonymous

It's NOT going to get better. The genie of offshoring and automatic speech rec. is out of the bottle for good.

Even if a $15 min. wage gets enacted nationwide, I doubt it'll help MTs. Certainly not in time, that's for sure. Far too many of us are already making less than the current min. wage, and let's face it - even $15/hour isn't really enough to live on in most urban areas of the US.

For young MTs, I would say go back to school, big time! Get a degree, learn a profession (or two, just to be safe.) For older MTs without the time or $$ to go back to college, find a job where you are needed on-site. If it's anything that can be done remotely online, the odds aren't good that it will continue to pay well (if it even pays well at all, already), or that it'll stay in the US.

The third option for those of us 62 and older is to take our retirement money early, which at least will help get us by if we end up taking a low-paying or part-time job.

Even then, I wouldn't pick MT as my low-paying part-time job, because US-based MTs are being pushed out, and the lousy pay just ISN'T worth the aggravation required to earn it. Begging on a street corner would be far less anxiety-inducing, and likely more profitable, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)