Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

Proxy Server - is the proper term

Posted: Aug 13th, 2015 - 12:13 pm In Reply to: That is very interesting - MT

This is how it works: Every computer is assigned an IP address. You can type in "what is my ip address" on google and find out what yours is. This number is static (it doesn't change. It shows up, though, behind the scenes whenever you access an Internet site, such as MTStars or our hospital accounts through iMedX. Computer -----> Internet. That's what allows marketers to send us junk mail and allows hackers to mess with our computers, because the IP address is static (doesn't change)and is "find-able" on any website we access. Think of a proxy server as another computer that shields yours. So, when you access the Internet, the sites you visit can't record YOUR IP number, because they will be seeing the proxy's IP, which is probably nowhere near you: Computer -----> PROXY -----> Internet. There is free software available that will not only allow you to hide behind a proxy IP address, it will change it every few minutes. This makes it more difficult to detect who is hiding behind the proxy ID(s) and thus thwarts the hackers, marketers, and other spies. There are many free programs out there, but this is the one I use, since you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. http://download.cnet.com/Surf-Anonymous-Free/3000-2144_4-75300270.html P.S. I don't worry about MTStars, as they delete the accumulated IPs every 24 hours, and they don't sell them to marketers, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)