Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Burnout - SM

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2015 - 8:41 am In Reply to: I agree - Me

Anger is one of the symptoms of burnout. You might want to Google that and find the others. They won't come as a surprise. There was an article by Erinn Buckland in the Washington Post on this a few days ago.

It listed being overly cynical (about everything, not just work), want to run away, messing up normally easy tasks (forgetting, lack of attention), tired all the time, always disgruntled (at your wife's end at work), wondering if what you do has any merit, sick all the time.

And that is just what people who are in jobs that are not necessarily MT feel. You have the added burden of performing a job that has always been extremely difficult, which has been rated as one of the most stressful (I recall thatconly air traffic controllers had it worse) due to the impact of the work and your almost total lack of control of it (you have no way to improve the input and are blamed for the resulting quality).

In addition, you are being paid poorly, suffering pay cuts, being penalized for errors with docked pay, being harassed over trivial errors, working for companies based in third-world nations which practice third-world employment tactics, suffering with poorly performing software (poor recording and platforms). Many of you work in isolation due to the way the industry is set up. Employers fail to respond to your needs.

And, now your work has been reduced to editing the moronic output of VR, which is intended to replace you.

Given all that, chronic anger seems very normal. I am not sure why you feel that you need a way to suppress it, as if it is something wrong with you.

I don't understand why you want to keep on putting up with it if you don't have to.

My suggestion is to find a better job. There are many, many other fields that are better. I felt the same way you do. I retrained and left MT, and now have a great job that pays much more. It is still in medical care and uses the knowledge I had as an MT, but it is far more rewarding. No more anger, no more frustration, no more lack of control, no more harassment, no more MTSOs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)