A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Standing desks - badback

Posted: Jun 08, 2014

I am just wondering if any MTs out there have tried these standing desks that seem to be so popular.  I get the general idea that sitting all day is bad for you, but I am just not sure this works for our line of work.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Not comfortable for me. - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I keep trying to work standing up, but because of the foot pedal, I have to stand pretty much in one position. This causes backache. It may be doable if one can use keyboard controls instead of the pedal. One of these days I am going to try working at a raised desk surface and sitting on the edge of a bar stool (in the office, people, not at a bar). See how that works out.

If you look at any of the - images of this standing

[ In Reply To ..]
desk online, none of them are trying to do transcription with a foot pedal. What I did see is a chair/stool designed specifically for the adjustable height standing desk at something called incredible things. Would probably make it a lot more comfortable. HTH

look for a - standing task

[ In Reply To ..]
chair

Standing Desk - try bosu chair

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been hearing a lot of success with the bosu ball as a chair. They say within 6 weeks or less, back pain is better, core strength is improved, posture, etc. Good luck on what you decide.

I tried that before - love my chair

[ In Reply To ..]
I bought a desk with a switch that would raise & lower the desk, figured I could switch back and forth between sitting and standing. But like the other poster said, it was too hard to stand and work the foot pedal for more than a few minutes. Not having to use the foot pedal might make it easier. I even thought it would be fun to have one of those treadmill desks... get my workout in at the same time! But again, there's that darn foot pedal issue.

I would suggest getting a good chair, and make time for exercise... even walking around the house for a few minutes every couple of hours might help. I finally got smart and bought a Herman Miller Mirra chair a few months ago and my back pain was gone within the first week. Now I just need to take my own advice and get some exercise!

Here's what I do......best of both worlds... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Sitting for so long is not good but neither is standing for the same....so I have a sit/stand desk. I go back and forth about every 1-2 hours, sitting, standing, sitting, standing. As for the pedal, I have THREE foot pedals. I have each of them situated in different positions, one for the right foot, one for the left foot, and one in the middle so I can switch my standing position around. Relieves fatigue, better on the body.

Standing desks - Roxcat

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using a standing desk for about a year now and I love it. I type on a laptop, so I just stand and type for an hour or so and then sit and type for awhile. I just keep switching back and forth throughout the day. I also have an exercise bike with a sort of foam top on the handlebars that allows you to put your laptop on it. So, I also type while exercising on the bike. This helps to offset the sedentary nature of our jobs - especially now that we're working twice as many hours for 1/2 the pay as from the "good old days" when transcriptionists actually could make a decent living!

Similar Messages:

Treadmill Desks
May 30, 2010

Is there a way to do transcription using a treadmill desk. I can't think of a way to adapt the foot pedal control, maybe something that went under my arm or something. ...

Adjustable Sit To Stand Desks
Jan 07, 2014

Hey there. I wanted to know if anyone uses these or stands completely while working?  I'm thinking about switching from my usual sit down all day to a sit to stand adjustable, but wanted to know opinions of anyone who does this regularly.  Thanks! ...

Last One Standing
Jan 28, 2014

Would it be better to be an MT or MME?  Which do you think will be the last one standing when it all starts to fall? ...

Last MT Standing
Mar 02, 2014

You have no doubt heard of those Last Man Standing groups, where a group of people, such as survivors of a disaster, get together and each make a contribution which then goes to the last living member the group. I propose 4/1/2014 all mmodal US MTs contribute $10- for lottery tickets to go the very last US MT that mmodal has left after all the 99.7% firings. Anybody interested?  Let's not the let the door hit us in the butt on the way out. ...

Standing Desk
Apr 23, 2012

Has anyone tried a stand-up desk or just tried to stand while typing?  With all the stuff in the news lately about how dangerous sitting is, I would like to give it a try.  Just wondering if anyone has been doing it and has any tips.  It seems like it would be a little hard on the legs when trying to stand and use the footpedal. I have seen some new treadmill desks that look awesome, but obviously wouldn't work for us using footpedals. ...

Standing Up While Working
Jul 05, 2013

Anyone out there stand while working? I am thinking about having my husband build a platform/raised desk so I can stand while I work. I'm so tired of my leg and feet falling asleep as soon as I sit down and start using the foot pedal. I'm wondering how hard it is to stand and use the foot pedal.  ...

JP: A Million Thanks For Standing Up For Us Yesterday
Dec 14, 2012

Yes! ...

Does Anybody Work Standing Up On The Regular?...
Jul 08, 2013

I've been standing up at my counter, working... I think I'll like it once my feet get used to it.  I was wondering if anyone's tried it and was able to keep it going.  I know it's supposed to be easier on the body than sitting 8-10 hours a day, but it does take some getting used to! ...

Opening MM Email, Standing On Scale = Dread And Apprehension
Feb 15, 2012

and always bad news. ...