A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New MT, coming up on 6 months with Nuance - Worried

Posted: Oct 02, 2013

I have been having trouble with productivity from the beginning. My account is mostly ESL, so I feel like I shouldn't be having so much trouble here. However, I have a friend who is an MT and says that some of my speakers are really tough. She's been an MT for 10 years now and things usually come easy to her.

Anyway, I'm concerned that if I don't get my lines up to where they need to be will they let me go? I'm working really hard to try to get my lines up and I'm still doing about 120 lph. My team is very supportive and my manager is very understanding and tells me it will just take time. But I'm afraid my 6 months will come and they will give me the boot. That's what I was told when I was first hired was that they give 6 months usually...

I have done everything I can think of to try and pick up my line count. I watch my timesheet closely and make sure it is accurate. I use my expander is MS Word. Is there anything else I can do?

My variance hours are also not that good. I really do keep an eye on my timesheet but I end up spending a lot of the time researching because I am paranoid about leaving too many blanks. So I think nonproductive time accumulates there. Should I clock out when I research or should I let the blanks go? How many blanks is too much? I usually get worried if I have more than 5 in one report.

I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you so much! :)

Meant to say my account is mostly VR, not ESL - Worried

[ In Reply To ..]
But it also has a lot of ESL, which is one of the reasons it can be difficult. Sorry about that!

Don't worry. They don't fire anyone. Really. - curiousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

IMO, number one mistake is spending too much - time researching. Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a 25-year MT and my primary account is horrendous, ESL and English speakers both equally bad (am so grateful for the few good ones). Ban cellphone use for dictation and we would all probably see our production increase. Sorry, I digress.

My suggestion is to stop spending so much time on research. If necessary, set a kitchen timer for a minute or 2 and stop when it dings. There are times we have no choice but to leave several blanks in a report. My personal worst was 30-something in a 1-1/2 page report. Trust me, it is far better to leave blanks than to put the wrong thing in and get hit with a critical/major error. My method is to leave blank(s), finish the report (the word may turn up later), re-listen to the blank(s), check for a prior report, do a Google search of less than a minute, send the report to QA or client. Since you are new, you should check to see what QA filled in.

Due to lack of motivation, I also recently had problems with production, running into MUP issues, and my TSM, one of the better ones here, sent me an action plan consisting of incremental increases weekly, so that is another idea to think about. Good luck to you.

I agree. Research takes up a lot of time. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the same problem you do now--lack of motivation. I do online shopping, whatever during my hours, then I'm below my quota.

Obviously, I need a new job!

But as far as research--I look something up a couple different times and if I can't find it--BLANK!

Variance hours - MTmom

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're logged into a report all the time your system hours and clocked hours should be close.

Similar Messages:

Been Gone From Nuance For Several Months Now
Aug 14, 2013

I have to say the stress level went down almost immediately. I went on to be a CNA and though physically harder work, there is room for growth financially and moving up into another position. Not so with Nuance. Growth potential at this place was zero-more like they try to keep you held down as much as possible. I loved transcription when I started 10 years ago, but this company made me dread even looking at my computer. Good luck to all those who are still here. Prayers for you as you struggle ...

Coming To Nuance
May 31, 2014

I currently work for MModal.  Considering Nuance. Opinions and/or advice would be appreciated. ...

Webmedx/Nuance Pay Compared To 6 Months Ago
Jun 04, 2012

Is anyone who transitioned from Webmedx to Nuance making more than they were 6 months ago?  We got a letter in January stating we would be by now because of "performance improvements and increased production capcity." Well that is not happening.  After the next cut in pay, I think I will be close to minimum wage real soon here. ...

Grammar: 6-months' Time Or 6- Months Time Or 6 Months' Time
May 25, 2011

I had found an answer somewhere about this problem, but naturally can't find it now: The patient will be followed in 6 months' time.   OR The patient will be followed in 6-months' time.  Thanks for the help. ...

18 Months' Ago
May 18, 2011

hey ladies, this may sound stupid just wanted to double check this. doc says "18 months ago." I'm pretty sure there is no apostrophe right? like its not possessive. TIA ...

Been Gone From MQ For A Few Months Now
Dec 17, 2011

I've been gone from MQ for about 5 months now, working at the front desk at a local group of docs office.  I learned how to schedule patients and meetings,  take payments, do the office bills, and file claims and bill insurance for patients and I've got to say, I never gave a thought to much of the person working the front desk.  I have been yelled at, threatened, given dirty looks and was once even told that I was an "old, ugly hag".  All this usually happens when ...

Been Gone From MM For 3 Months
Jul 25, 2014

The fact that the crappy work from overseas is no longer my problem. ...

Anyone Know About New Changes Coming To MQ?
Dec 27, 2009

Posted on Christmas Eve!  CBAY of India has 6,500 MT's with another 800 soon and MQ has how many MT's, 3,000-4,000?  http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/62574/ CBaySystems Expands India Operations with New Mumbai Centre     NewswireToday - /newswire/ - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, 12/24/2009 - New Centre at Mindspace2, Airoli - Plans to add 800 people by end 2010 at this new Centre.       CBaySystems, th ...

Keep Them Coming
May 12, 2011

I have posted on here many times about putting in requests to have doctors removed from ASR and have been told it doesn't do any good.  Apparently some people are listening.  I was told that they are flooded with requests now and it is taking a little longer to get to my requests reviewed.  I have also noticed that some of the doctors I used to do in ASR are no longer in ASR.  Thanks to all who are sending requests and keep them going.  Some don't get removed, ...

QA/QC Changes Coming??
Dec 14, 2014

Sure hope so.  QA  are being set up to be the "Payroll Gods".  Setting us against each other.  I know there is one particular QA that I cringe when I see her name.  She is probably a nice person and just trying to do her job, but talk about nit-picky.  She has a Master's degree in that area. ...

Been Job Searching For 2 Months...
Nov 27, 2009

With no luck. Sent tons of resumes and taken tests without many replies.  I'm starting to get worried now. ...

Okay, It Has Been Months Since Anything Was Posted, So I Have To Ask (sm)
Jan 18, 2010

Is there anyone out there currently employed with Cardioscribes?  I realize that there is some India association but at this point I am so desperate for a job I would take any kind of association with it if they were to offer.  If you are employed with Cardioscribes would you either please email me or just give me some insight on the company before I apply?  Platform, pay, benefits, schedule, strictness of the schedules, etc., the usual and anything that you can think of.  ...

Started At TT Two Months Ago And
Jun 29, 2011

I never have work!  Second shift is not that busy like I was told it would be.  I am so bummed because I really like(d) the people there.  Now I have to look for work as an IC to make up for having small paychecks at TT.  Please tell me it gets better and this is just the summer slowness as we were told? ...

Months Of Time
Jul 11, 2011

I know the basic rule for apostrophes and time, i.e. one month's time, two months' time, etc. but what if the provider dictates, "Patient advised to follow up in here in three months of time..." Is the apostrophe still appropriate since he uses 'of' between? ...

6 Months' Time
Jun 08, 2012

I was corrected ove 2 years ago typing "I will see him back in 6 months' time" that the apostrophe comes after the"s" in months, but I got audited today and got marked off. Can someone please let me know if it is "6 month's time" or "6 months' time"???????? ...

Using EditScript For About 3 Months Now
Nov 16, 2013

I've been using EditScript for about 3 months now, and it's the pits.  :p ...

Well, I Finally Did It! After Many Months Of Trying
Nov 20, 2013

I got fired!  And the best part of it is I get to collect UE because the HR witch is too ignorant to go about it in the right way.  The feeling of relief is so overwhelming and now I am free to pursue other employment.  Thanks so much Nuance for getting something right for me!  Mission accomplished.  Yeah me!!  ...

Left MM A Few Months Ago, During ..
Dec 23, 2013

the summer.  I took a couple months to find a new job.  When I did, unfortunately, the only thing out there was transcribing so, I reluctantly took the job.  I was absolutely floored.  They are without a doubt the best company I have ever worked for.  They don't do off shoring or use MTs from India/in India.  I just got a gift card in the mail from them!  My boss is wonderful.  I have issues with taking care of my husband and they never give me grief ...

4 Months Notice For PTO
Mar 17, 2014

Can someone please tell me how 4 MONTHS NOTICE is insufficient for PTO?!  It would seem that as a manager your responsibility would be to assess and find coverage as required, and with that much advance notice you shouldn't have a terrible time doing that.  Besides, it's not like my shift is the one that's always hard up for extra help.  C'mon!  Don't act like I've put you in a pickle, you have 4 months to figure out a simple 5-day solution. &nbs ...

It's Been 6 Months Since I Left MM And On
Dec 11, 2014

except to get worse, so I don't regret leaving. My plan was to become an IC so that I could work my own days/hours, as I needed more flexibility to take care of my aging parents, but it turned out the few responses I received to the many resumes I sent out all wanted someone to work set days/hours too. I have done MT work my entire adult life and always thought I would do it until I retired because I found it interesting and challenging, but the profession has changed so much now that I hav ...

If Anybody Gets A DVT During These Months Of Mandatory OT
Apr 26, 2015

(on top of being harrassed for any idle time to stretch our legs), I hope they sue the hell out of them for every penny they've got.  What kind of uncaring jerks make you do mandatory OT for months? ...

Look Out For More New MT's Coming On Board.
Jan 29, 2010

Obama announced a new tax break for every new employee hired will get a 5,000 tax break and up to 500,000 total for each company who hires new employees.  My congressman is going to hear from tomrrow when I call his office.  You all know how MQ loves to hire new employees and I sure hope they do not plan on getting rid of us old ones and if they do?  I see ANOTHER lawsuit coming called age discrimination.  ...

What's The World Coming To
Feb 19, 2010

On my every-other-month audit by my QTL I lost points for expanding Clostridium difficule, but SHE wanted me to put (I kid you not) C Diff. Now I have been reading stories by newswriters about E-coli, but I'm still putting E. coli. Please don't tell me those idiot biddies at AHDI have changed the "rules" on us again.  I also make money typing papers for professional journals, and I really HATE dumbing myself down for MQ. and...I'm still getting broken jobs with terms like ...

How To Get Downtime Pay You Have Coming To You
Oct 07, 2010

Okay people, if you were in the middle of your shift, or you could not sign on for your shift, make sure you filed a Q-care ticket and notified your CCM.  Mine has been sending E-mails throughout the day stating that she KNOWS that DQS is still down even though it shows a green light.  By Medquists own Policy description for downtime for ME/MTs, this definitely qualifies.  Go to MQ Central Home page---Human Resources---policies.  At the bottom of the page there is a link call ...

Christmas Is Coming!!!!!
Nov 16, 2010

So what do you think we'll get as a Christmas present this year?  A new mouse pad, an envelope opener, perhaps a pencil with the Medquist logo on it, an eraser maybe?  Oh, the possibilities are endless!!  I'm sooooo excited, I just can't wait!  After all, we know how much Medquist appreciates us by the way they treat us!   Oh wait, I forgot, there have never been even cost of living raises let alone merit raises.  Oh wait, I forgot ...

Does Anyone Know When The TransTech W2 Will Be Coming Out? Nm
Jan 13, 2011

MT Week Coming Up
May 01, 2011

Gee, we at WMX just got our present early.  A surprise cut in pay and bonus plan.  I really hope they don't have any other little "gifts" in store for us. ...

Where's The 99% Thing Coming From?
Jun 03, 2011

just wonderin, cuz this board is the only place i've heard of it.  is it in email or MQ central or what? ...

100 New MT's Coming To M*M. Anyone Concerned
May 21, 2012

Is it just me, or would I be concerned 100+ folks are coming to M*M this week? Does anyone get concerned about this, such as going from FT to PT due to the pressure of tons of typists? ...

Coming Across A Mistake
Aug 03, 2012

I was looking over already transcribed reports by others to check on a medication and came across a mistake that really makes us look foolish and is something, IMHO, that any transcriptionist would know and this doctor speaks good English.  Would you notify QA so they can correct the report or notify the hospital to correct the report?  Thanks for your opinion.  ...