A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you're sharp enough to be an MT.... - AnonMT

Posted: May 08, 2014

then you're sharp enough to do a million other things.  It's hard to get used to the idea of doing a traditional job, but I've found it refreshing to be out in the public again.  I landed a good-paying job with paid vacation and other bennies, banker's hours and a great boss, all in the field I was working in 15 years ago before becoming an MT.  Why be held hostage to this no-win situation? 

Bless you!! - Needed to hear that

[ In Reply To ..]
I needed that :-) Thanks a bunch !!!

The trick is to somehow convince potential - employers who want cloned, -

[ In Reply To ..]
"plug-n-play" employees who can - as they like to say - "hit the ground running", that an MT has the skills they're looking for, just not in the same field. The other trick is to find a potential employer who doesn't require you to be fluent in Spanish.

Plug-n-play - I like that

[ In Reply To ..]
Plug-n-play--good one. Never heard that before.
The trick is not only to convince potential employers of our skills, but to construct a resume and cover letter that sells those skills and takes the focus off of the 'medical transcriptionist'.

The trick is to get past the 20 somethings - in HR

[ In Reply To ..]
who won't even send your resume past their cubicles.

I don't know how to take the focus off my MT - jobs, cause its all Ive done for 35 years.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've stopped worrying about how perfect my resume is, I just sent it. It is what it is, and if the employer doesn't like it, tough. I probably wouldn't like them, either. These days I'm pretty much only applying for jobs to keep the UI coming in, anyway. When that runs out, my sights are set on early retirement. I'm sick of playing the job-game.

Your post gives me hope. I'm dying to get out of MT - clb

[ In Reply To ..]
If I apply to anymore jobs this year alone, I'm going to scream! I've lost count after 50 applications since January 2013. That's like 1 new job hunt a week! Everyday that passes without so much as a call back or interview is one less day I have to reach my goal of being out of MT completely by 12-31-14. PLEASE HIRE ME!!

I got my job through LinkedIn - AnonMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had written my profile geared toward transcription, but then I also listed my past experience in a couple of other fields. I applied for a job that came up in one of those fields. A week and a half later, I was offered the job. There's hope!

New career - TexasGal

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still doing MT/QA but I'm hoping (still) to start that cat furniture company. We've just had some hiccups here at home with Hubby's job and a possible move.

Similar Messages:

Sharp Cut Joints?
Jul 14, 2010

Doctor dictates what s/l "sharp cut joints" or "shark cut"?  Orrrrr "shard cut"? I can't find any info on this. Any help would be appreciated. TIA ...

DURING D&C IS SHARP CRY OR CRIE?
Aug 02, 2011

Which is it? ...

S/l Sharp Main Carina Sm
Oct 23, 2009

Bronchoscopy procedure note - After induction of general anesthesia, the patient had an endotracheal tube placed. Normal trachea and *s/l sharp main* carina.  Normal right and left bronchial tree. ...

Sharp-Purser Test?
Apr 15, 2014

Typing a PT report and came across this:  "NEUROLOGICAL SCREEN:  Sharp purser test is negative."  I can't find definitively whether this is named for 2 people, or one with a hyphenated name... so, "Sharp-Purser test" or if it's referring to sharp as in, a needle is sharp, and then Purser as a last name, or finally, if it's "sharp purser" as in, sharp movements, and somehow purser referring to something I'm not aware of. Thanks! ...

She Does Not Have A Sharp Curve Suggestive Of SL*Charmin's*.
Nov 25, 2009

nm ...

How Do You Type Super Sharp, As In Blade?
Oct 31, 2011

Sharp, or Supersharp? Can't find this one! Thank you in advance :) ...

Ears Reveal Light Reflex To Be S/l: Sharp / Short?
Apr 12, 2012

Ears reveal light reflex to be s/l: sharp / short ?  ...

Super Sharp, Supersharp, Supersharp, SuperSharp, Super Sharp?
Jul 12, 2013

I have seen the all!  Can anyone document the correct one? ...

Electroencephalogram: Left Temporal Focal Slowing In The 6 Hz Range With Left Temporal Sharp Transie
Apr 18, 2010

nm ...