A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Clinic work on holidays? Seriously? - Will

Posted: Dec 23, 2014

Over the past few days, along with my usual snot and threat-o-grams, I have been getting emails telling me that I have to work the holidays.  I do NO hospital work--just clinic work and 99% of what those doctors do is elective stuff.  

Of course, there is no valid reason for this.  The only "reason" my supervisor is sending out this hate mail is because she wants her bonus for meeting Nuance's totally unreasonable TAT.  

Unbelievable.  Obscene.  Can't wait to get out of the pit that is Nuance. 

Much of my clinic work has a longer TAT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
than acute care. So, if a doc dictates at any time on Wednesday, then yes, it may need to be transcribed on Thursday, which is a holiday. If you are scheduled to work then it seems reasonable to me that there may be clinic notes to transcribe. Doesn't strike me as outlandish. Not saying that anyone wants to work on a holiday, but I am saying it's reasonable that there may be notes to transcribe.

Actually: No - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no reason for any nonessential clinic work to be transcribed on Christmas. NONE. I have been doing this kind of work for decades and the situation does not and will never exist when it becomes necessary to interrupt a person's Christmas to do this. And, just in case you're wondering, my clinic work does not have anything close to a 24-hour TAT. It's just nonsensical--except if you're some middle manager looking for a bonus at the expense of others.

I think.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
... if they asked the clinic docs if they wanted the MLS typing their reports (if there are even any to type!) on Christmas Day, they would absolutely say no way. These are clinic visits for crying out loud. These docs don't dictate on the holidays, and if they dictate the day before, and they want it back ASAP they'll mark it STAT. I seriously doubt they would want any of their clinic office staff working on Christmas, so I'm sure they probably expect us to take off on Christmas too.... which for those of us who have been acquired by Nuance... we always have gotten holidays off in the past anyways! My docs aren't expecting people to be typing reports on Christmas. Nuance needs to chill a little. Drink some eggnog or something damn humbuggers. #ebenezerscrooge

Amen and Amen - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
I am quite sure that most of the docs out there in the clinics would be horrified to learn what goes on behind the scenes of the medical reports they get back from Nuance and oftentimes done even read!

Most of us have worked for companies that were gobbled up. sm - Scrooge

[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of us are acute care. We don't have holidays off unless that is our scheduled day off or we are allowed to take PTO. Usually, there is NO work or very little on the holidays, yet still we have to report to work. I know this is a rude awakening for you folks, but we have all gone through a lot of rude awakenings. It stinks, but that is the way it is. I doubt they would bend the rules for you guys. Actually, several of my accounts in addition to acute care are clinic accounts. I do both, as do many of my co-workers. Maybe they will crosstrain us for your clinic accounts if you guys do not want to work the holidays. If there is work, it gets done even if the TAT is 72 hours or more. They want the backlog cleared out to zero, so after the holiday, there is usually NO WORK.

p.s. Most of my accounts, and I have 7 with hundreds of dictators, plenty of ESLs, have been running out of work since before Thanksgiving. Be glad that you have work.

There is a huge difference between acute care and routine clinic work - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
Which would be the difference in the words "acute" and "routine." Again, the only reason to force people to do nonessential, routine clinic work is to collect a bonus at their expense. Even grocery store employees don't have to put up with this kind of BS--and they have about a fraction of the stress that Nuance piles on us while making more money.

I agree... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's kind of like the difference between clinic docs and ER docs. Of course you would expect the ER doc to be working on Christmas... but the clinic doc? Nah.
You are both missing the point. sm - Scrooge
[ In Reply To ..]
This company does not care when your doctors are dictating or expect their work to be done. They want the backlogs cleared up. Period. Supervisor panics when there are about 20 (yes 20) reports in the backlog for one of our accounts. We not only have the whole crew from our region doing those reports, but folks from other regions have them as backup when they run out of work. We don't have our special dictators...the whole crew has this work available to them. We do not pick and choose. We have to type/edit whatever shows up in our face. When I sign on, I am routinely running out of work after 2 hours every day because so many people are on our accounts.

I know the difference between acute and clinic. Have done both before even working for this company. Had my own clinic accounts as an IC.

Again, this company does not care. The sooner you get used to that, the better for you. Just trying to help you understand the way it is now. You can explain it to this company until you are blue in the face. They do not care.
You're missing MY point. - Will
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't care about the supervisor's "problems." In ALL the many years (20) I have been doing this kind of work, in hospital, in clinics and for services, I have NEVER, EVER, EVER HAD TO WORK A HOLIDAY WHEN I WAS ASSIGNED ROUTINE CLINIC WORK. Get that, NOT EVER!!

And, it's better for me to get used to it? Seriously? I say it's better to find another transcription (or any kind of) job elsewhere, which gives holidays off. Oh wait--I did that. It's only a (small) matter of time until I give Nuance the big kiss-off. Thanks, God!

The contract is what matters--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If the contract says it needs to be done within a certain amount of time, that is what is necessary business wise. I think some of the ridiculous TATs are often dictated by the client. While many doctors would not care if some of these reports were done on Christmas, the fact of the matter is few of the doctors are all that concerned about the MTs doing the reports any way, as long as they are getting done. If they cared, they would speak clearer, not dictate while eating, dictate on appropriate things (i.e., not their cell phone), etc.

I actually have found it comical when my TSM has emphasized that if you are OOW on Christmas, then the standard procedure applies, that after 15 minutes waiting you are done for the day.

If it's that important, Nuance should pay Triple Time/Triple Line Rate on holidays - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
But we all know it's not that "important," don't we?

Will: I think you should just either not work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and enjoy your holiday or start work at your normal time because I guarantee you will run out of work and have the day off anyway. I agree with you. It's ridiculous to be expected to do clinic notes on Christmas.
It's really the point of it. - Will
[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is an abusive company with abusive and exploitative labor practices. They shouldn't be demanding it and they shouldn't be threatening us if we don't do it. Finally, their TSMs shouldn't come on this board and threaten to train others to do our work, etc. PATHETIC.

I DO CLINIC WORK AND I WORK WHENEVER THERE ARE REPORTS - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry Will...I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I have worked clinic notes for YEARS but I work when my doctors work or when they send. I do not let reports sit around all weekend or on holidays. I just can't do it. I like to get them cleaned up. Of course the 4 hour thing is ridiculous for clinic notes, but that is their new policy...and keeping in line with their Business Module I guess or their Master Plan...whatever. They are not going to make exceptions for us. I am waiting for the other shoe to fall and probably have to get out. you too most likely. Good luck to us all. Okay,let the Dislikes fly!

Sorry but I have a family and a life--worth more then a few cents a line. - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
most of the stuff that is urgent gets handled by the docs on call on the weekends and during the holidays. It's never done along with the routine clinic work.

Believe me, there are more important things to see to than routine clinic notes usually dealing with elective procedures--one of them is my family and, sure has h**l, I am not going to deprive them of time over the holidays for a job in which I may be paid any rate at any time by a company whose sole purpose is to obtain the fruits of my labor without paying for it if they can contrive a way to avoid doing so.

Which is another reason why I have obtained other employment.

I hear you Will - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked acute care for decades, then found a job working clinic accounts. Loved the paid holidays off, including the Fridays after Christmas and Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc. Unfortunately, enjoyed it for less than a year when M*Modal bought it out and...sigh...you know what happened.

Even doctors and nurses don't work EVERY holiday EVERY year. They rotate. I work for a company now and even though it's acute care, we were reminded that the workload will be lighter, elective surgeries will be down, staff will be off, etc. If scheduled, we don't have to adhere strictly to our hours, but can just check in throughout the day if we want.

Exactly--that is what it is like in the world of actually.. - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
...caring for patients. I have worked in health information services in hospitals and clinics. I have also worked in jobs where I actually cared for patients in both types of settings. Workers at all levels in both settings do indeed rotate. People in the real world prioritize and cover what must be covered. Why? Because people who don't feel like slaves at work usually do a better job and stick around longer--and that leads to better outcomes all around.

Similar Messages:

Why Do They Always Do This Right Before The Holidays?
Nov 24, 2009

Just got word from the hospital where my full-time coding job is that we will be laying off and/or terminating employees, eliminating positions and changing others.  Why, oh why, do companies always do this around the holiday time? It gets more and more sad and more frightening daily, doesn't it, seeing more and more good people out of work and such a lack of prospects for employment.   ...

You Can Tell Holidays Getting Near, NJA Again
Nov 15, 2013

I usually never have NJA but in the past two weeks, have had it 2 times. ...

Holidays In India
Aug 03, 2010

Here's a link to holidays in India.  My opinion?  Don't work on these days.  It's the closest thing you can get to a strike.  Could be interesting.  http://www.travelindia-guide.com/holiday_calendar.aspx   ...

Crappy Holidays To Us All
Sep 30, 2010

Just got the email today that effective 10/01/2010, my MTSO (whom I will not name) will no longer be paying holiday pay (aka 1.5 cpl) for any holidays anymore b/c of "the economy." R U *** kidding me? First of all, I thought that the recession was officially over in 2009, but I could be mistaken. Secondly, I know holiday pay and OT and all that is a "perk" and not required by law to pay us, but yet they expect us MTs, er me, to work all major holidays for the same crappy cpl as always ...

I Am Not Working Any More Holidays!
Oct 23, 2010

Got denied for Thanksgiving request.  I have put my life on hold for this company for 15 years.  I have missed Christmases, Thanksgivings, family functions and fireworks and for what? To sit at my desk and wait for the work to trickle in? Or no jobs at all.    I am not working another single holiday for this company. Let the Indians work them. I am not even sending in a request for them; I am just going on with my plans. What are they gonna do, send my work to India? Fi ...

Happy Holidays To All
Dec 18, 2010

I don't post here often but do read.  No matter what our differences or opinions when it comes to MQ, we all have it in common and sometimes it's just nice to know that you are all there with that common bond.  So, thank you and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and a bright new year.  Jaybee ...

Never Got So Much As A Happy Holidays From The Q.
Jan 06, 2011

I don't need some gift (that wasn't worth the money they paid postage on). It just would have been nice to at least send out a company email wishing us a happy holidays. That would have only cost them the money it would have taken some salaried person to type it up and sned it out which is really nothing as that person would have been paid whether they did that or not. Guess 'cause we're an Indian company and that is not one of their holidays. What would have been appreci ...

Increased Pay On Holidays
Oct 26, 2011

Does anyone know if you get time and a half for work on holidays? ...

Paid Holidays??
Jan 02, 2012

Hey MQ Mt's, Does anyone know if we get paid time and a half for New Year's Day?   Couldn't find it on MQ Central.  Thanks!  ...

Keystrokes Holidays
Apr 04, 2012

Does anyone know what the paid holidays are at Keystrokes?  Thanks!! ...

How Does The Holidays Work Here?
May 23, 2012

The only 2 I want off are Thanksgiving and Christmas.  How do they pay you?  Minimum wage for 8 hours?   ...

Question On Holidays.
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Holidays Everybody!
Dec 19, 2012

Just wanted to say Happy Holidays to everybody and hope they have a great time and a great holiday! This was our first time decorating and shopping as well as sending cards and stuff in over 7 years due to severe pain and financial issues. It feels so good to do normal things during the holiday this year, although it took numerous doctors appointments to do so. I felt so good when my cousin emailed me that my grandma was searching her mailbox everyday and nobody had sent a card yet, but me... s ...

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Dec 26, 2012

I hope all of you have a nice holiday with your family.  I know times can be hard, especially with work, but keep in mind that family is important and enjoy them while you can cause you never know when that will change in a just a moment.  I hope your new year will be better for all of us.  I wish for work for everyone.  hugs for all of you! ...

Mmodal Holidays
Jul 24, 2013

I thought 4th of July was one.  I can't find them, looking in Ultipro. ...

Upcoming Holidays
Sep 27, 2013

Becoming a little/lot concerned.  Realizing that we wiill have low work.  Don't have much PTO built up because of having to use it for prior NJA.  Wondering what will happen.  I think a lot of us are in this same boat.  We don't have much or none at alll built up and there will be little to no work.  ARGH!!!!!!  Another layer of stress. ...

Joyous Holidays Transcend
Dec 17, 2009

Thank you for keeping me informed of the travels and adventures of Transcend.  I am delighted that I have worked so diligently this year (when there has been enough work for me) to enable you to afford to take this coast-to-coast trip.  I am sure you economized as much as you could by staying at low cost motels/hotels, eating at very inexpensive restaurants, and using economy/red-eye flights and that you impressed your future investors by displaying your very thrifty side by havin ...

Working Holidays As An Employee (sm)
Oct 05, 2010

I have never been "required" to work holidays as a SE or IC, so I am wondering how the work loads are when you are an employee.  I was recently offered a PT job as an employee, but I was told if I was scheduled to work, I would have to work.  Well this year would have been both Thanksgiving and Christmas, which would really put a damper on my family gatherings.  Checking in every few hours would not be a problem, but actually missing Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's would be d ...

Just Got My First Happy Holidays From A Dictator
Nov 22, 2010

It's the little things that make a difference in your day. ...

From Post Below About India Holidays.
Oct 07, 2011

Supposedly, Obama WAS hoping to make Indian markets accessible for American businesses, to help create jobs in the U.S.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME????  Obama is not helping us, but doing the opposite.  This is during the time MQ MTs had to work because MTs in India had a Holiday, FOR 5 DAYS.   We are lukcy to get Thanksgiving off and when we are scheduled to work??  WE HAVE NO WORK.  Obama's India Visit Coincides With National Holiday Posted by ryang on Nove ...

Holidays For Nuance-Work Or Take PTO
Dec 23, 2011

My company was bought by Nuance.  We are now told we either have to work entire shift on a holiday or take PTO.  Is everyone being told this?  Are the other big companies going this route too?  It was bad enough having hlidays with no pay, but now, to work or take what little PTO is accumulated?  Any suggestions!  Merry Christmas to all!   ...

Hypocracy Of MTs Working On Holidays
Jan 02, 2012

Dictator apologized to the family for not spending more time with them when they found out a young loved one had terminal cancer. 12/24 visit. I seriously had to get up and walk around and cry before I could finish the report. My best friend was diagnosed with the same disease before Thanksgiving last year. Her demise was inevitable, but what was left of her quality of life was compromised by the lack of health care personnel, including her PCP, during to the holidays. I find it ironic that ...

Which Days Holidays With Transcend?
Jan 16, 2012

I cannot find this documented in my files or on company website.  What are they besides: New Years July 4th Thanksgiving Christmas Is it Easter, Memorial Day and Labor Day?  ...

Question About Working Holidays...
May 28, 2012

If you run out of work for over 15 minutes, you're supposed to fill out a ticket & take the rest of the day off, without even checking to see if work comes in later?  Won't they be mad that you didn't check back since it's a holiday?  But then on the other hand, if they've made you clock out & take PTO instead, then I guess you couldn't check back even if you wanted to...?  I don't really understand the point in making everyone work holid ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

What Is The Line Rate For Holidays?
Sep 03, 2012

Does anyone know?  ...

Where The Holidays Are Listed For MModal
Nov 15, 2012

I cannot find where the holidays are listed for MModal.  Can someone list them or tell me where they are posted?  Thank you. ...

Am I Permitted To Work On Holidays?
Nov 28, 2013

Hey Nuancers: Am I permitted to work on holidays and my days off, if I am willing? I am a New Hire and I would like to work today, but my Team Leader is off until Saturday, and I can't find an employee handbook. 8] ...

Not Even A Happy Holidays From MModal
Dec 24, 2013

This company really bites.  Not even a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays from the upper management.  Hope you all have a great couple days even if you have to work and a Happy New Year! ...

HOW DO PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH NOT WORKING HOLIDAYS???!
Apr 20, 2014

I've been with this stupid company forever. I was told you MUST pick either a Saturday or Sunday to work, NO EXCEPTIONS! I really would like to spend SOME time with my family on Easter Sunday. I know there are A LOT of people on my account. I am doing work from yesterday that should not even by here! Why do I feel like I am one of the few who is threatened about working on the weekends???? ...