A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sum materials - angel456

Posted: Apr 29, 2011

Please answer my questioni if you have had any experience with the SUM materials provided by the Health Professions Institute (HPI).  It looks very good but I want some feedback before I leap in.  

Please only answer this specifc question----do not add any negative comments concerning anything else about the MT profession and not attending the proper school.

Thank you,

Angela

Excellent materials - Katie

[ In Reply To ..]
Angela,

The SUM materials are all excellent, and I recommend them. Personally, I have used the SUM Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and the ESL programs. They are rather high priced on the SUM website, and you can often get the same disks on eBay and sometimes on this site as well. Plan to pay up to $100 (many times even for much less $) for the same disks on eBay.

They do have a very thoroughly thought out curriculum that they publish on their site that also specifies additional books (some of which they sell) to use in conjunction with their training. Personally, I have purchased the H&P: A Nonphysician's guide to the Medical History and Physical Examination, Human Diseases, Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures, and the Medical Transcription Workbook. I did get these piecemeal from eBay (used with some highlighting/writing) for greatly reduced prices.

The program and the curriculum they outline for self-study is simply outstanding--basically paralleling that of the top online schools. However, there is no live feedback available for questions/answers/etc. with the self-study option. However, with motivation and tenacity, it is indeed a very doable option.

If you were to decide to do a self-study option, you'll probably also need a copy of a pharmaceutical word book (such as Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book), a medical abbreviations book (such as 30,000 Conveniences at the Expense of Communications and Safety,a decent medical dictionary such as Stedman's or Dorland's, and perhaps a copy of Saunders Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures. Keep in mind that these do not really have to be the latest and greatest versions--just recent enough to get the job done and still have a somewhat viable reference collection for when you do start transcribing.

By the way, it has been touted that by mastering the Beginning SUM program, you can actually perform quite well in an entry-level MT job with a clinic-type setting in a doctor's office in your area.

To become more marketable, you may want to also complete the Intermediate (surgery) and the Advanced (5 different advanced specialties). The ESL training is great also for developing confidence in transcribing those dictators whose native language is not English.

If you can locate used training disks and books, you can probably get all three of the training disks (beginning, intermediate, and advanced) and any necessary books for under $400 or so.

Be sure to check out the sample downloads they have available on their website. They even have a free weekly quiz and study tips emailing they send out as well as e-Perspectives magazine that has some very insightful articles regarding MT. (I only wish they'd publish it on a more frequent basis.)

Of course, it would help greatly to have a mentor as well. You could request one here who has already gone through the SUM program; I know there would be at least 1 person who would consider taking you on (me).

By purchasing used materials for one level at a time, it is very possible that you can get the materials you need here, on eBay, or Amazon for a very small fraction of the price listed on the SUM site.

No matter what you decide, I wish you great success in your endeavors.

The SUM program - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Quite simply, it is the gold standard for medical transcription education.

thanks for the positive direction - angel456

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for mentioning your positive feedback on the SUM method. I now know what to to. I am not going through the internship route but rather the SUM. I would feel more confident entering and attaining gainful employment because of this.
Angel re: SUM - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Angela, you are obviously a highly intelligent and organized person. I do not know you but I really do feel that if you do the SUM, you will be able to achieve your goals. I will keep a good thought for you. These are tough times for us all, but I truly do think that things will turn around. Best of luck to you!
nice comment - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
I know you won't like me saying this, but I mean it "Thank you" for your useful comment and direction.
Angela
Angela - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I have always recommended the SUM program. It produces great results. Plus, I think you will like it.
sounds great - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
sounds great to me

thank you, thank you, thank you - angel456

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for positive feedback on the SUM materials. You have been a great help. How soon after you completed your self-studies did you get employed? and at what company? How is your working experience?
Do you still enjoy it?

You're welcome - Angel456 - Katie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a combination of schooling and self-studies. I actually attended an online school, but in all honesty, it was really essentially self-study with feedback available and somebody to keep a boot on my backside.

It took me about 3 months or so after completing my studies before I even had anyone interested. I filled out several hundred applications, but in the beginning, I only tested with those companies that I didn't care to work for. You see, it also takes some testing experience to get a job. After I got some testing experience, I then started applying to those companies I did want to work for. One company I tested for and passed their acute care standards did not have an opening way back then, but they did mention that I was #1 on the list. However, I guess cutbacks, account losses, or not enough work for their existing MTs put that on hold, and I took a job with my second-choice company. Funny thing, tho. I got a call almost 2-1/2 years after I tested with that other company offering me a job--but it was clinics and I am really convinced that having acute care skills is the best option for me for any future employment opportunities. True, it probably would have paid more money, but I'm looking at it more from a long-term perspective. You have to decide what path and direction you desire to go with and sit down and map out a plan on paper...goals. Short-term, intermediate, and long-term considerations.

After I filled out all of those applications, I was frantic that maybe I wouldn't be able to get hired (age issue here). However, what's peculiar to this business is that one week, they need MTs galore, and then the next week, month, or maybe even months, it seems as if everything dries up. But I persisted and then, I finally received 2 offers within as many days. One offer was for clinic work and the other for acute care. I could have made a lot more money to begin with with the easier clinical work, but my main goal was to become proficient with acute care. I had noticed that many MTs are trying desperately to get acute care (that seems to be a good selling point on the resume) and that they initially went the clinical route and then had seemingly become pigeonholed because of it. So, I took the acute care job.

I have been doing acute care now for circa 3 years or so, and I really do like what I am doing. By the way, this is my first MT job. I don't tend to jump ship when the going gets rough, and it was rough at times. It still is every now and then, but it is getting easier day by day. My expander is starting to swell (YES!!!), and I'm even getting better with that as well.

The only thing that ever gives me any pause and makes me wince and makes my eyes sort of tear are the vivid descriptions of intricate eye surgeries--but that is just a hangup on my part. It probably does not bother most folks, but I can get through it, although I must be quite a sight to see with my making faces at the monitor!

My working experience has been for the most part positive. I say for the most part, because the first year or so, it was taxing and grueling. But, I knew that going into it and just took it day by day...sometimes line by line, LOL.

Do I enjoy it? Hmm...yes. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Angela, set your goals down on paper and in your mind and go for it! You can most certainly do it!
Wow - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
I read your note, it was so good, informative and uplifting. So much so that I printed it and put it in my notebook for inspiration and even showed my teenage daughter. What school did you attend online? I am at Penn Foster. When I am done with their final exam I will start the SUMs rather than starting all over at a pricey school again. I really like the advice about testing your testing skills for employment with the companies that you are not interested in working for. I will certainly remember that. You mentioned acute care skills....I think you're right because I have been looking at my local clinics and hospitals and they pretty much want an MT with acute care skills. So I'll probably try that. Do you work at home? That is my goal. I probably will have to work inhouse in the beginning, that goes without saying but I do want to work at home to be close to my daughter she is 15. I love the idea of mapping out a plan, never occurred to me before. I think that it is fantastic that you are still working on your first MT job? and that you really enjoy it! Do you have any ideas about what companies I should not seriously apply for and what companies I should apply for?
Forever in your debt,
Angela

Similar Messages:

CMT Study Materials?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone know of a good study guide/review book for the CMT? ...

How To Work IC And Ref Materials
May 23, 2011

I have a couple of questions. For those of you who work IC, do you think it's better to get an EIN number, or not?  Also, what Medical Acronyms, Eponyms, and Abbr. reference book do you recommend? Thanks!   ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...

Discrepancies Within Reference Materials
Dec 03, 2011

A question about how to type something came up between coworkers, and in order to resolve it I did some online searching.  I was stunned to learn that there were just as many "expert/authoritative" sites saying that their way was "the right way" to do it as the other way.  (None indicated that it was optional or that either way was fine.) It is striking how many differences there are amongst reference materials; I even found "tendinitis" misspelled (as "tendonitis") in one o ...

What Are Some Good Study Materials For The CCS Exam?
Aug 18, 2014

I graduated in 2013 and am just now getting around to having the money to take the tests.  I really want to take the CCS first. So, I wondered what are some good books or work books I should get to brush up and practice with? Thank you :) ...