A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

laid off on-site job; how can I prove M-Modal will be a cut in pay of 28% or more - Cheela

Posted: Apr 18, 2013

We were told at the hospital where we work that we are laid off (but cutoff date not given...probably in a month). They're "offering" us jobs with MModal. We already know it's a horrible company. Unemployment wants us to prove that working for M-Modal will pay us at least 28% less than we're now earning.  Can anybody send me to a website or validate that working for M-Modal is going to be a pay demotion?  HR said if we don't join M-Modal, who they're contracting with, we won't get unemployment.  I know that's true. Have called unemployment, they say I have a good case, but they need the 28% paycut proof. Any help much appreciated!

Cheela with mistake - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say I know it's NOT true that we can't get unemployment. The hospital is trying hard to intimidate us and make us want to quit so they don't have to pay unemployment.

Cant you just take your offer letter from MModal - to UE office?

[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure their offer will be 4 and 8 cpl for VR and straight, so take that times your average line count. Then take that with your current stubs to UE. I think that would be the only way to prove anything.

That would not prove - anything

[ In Reply To ..]
you don't know what she will get, how much will be VR and how much will be typing, how much work she will actually get.

Cpl - cents per line, duh! - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
Cents per line. We were told by the MModal rep that as EDITORS (which they're trying to move everybody into being) we'd get 3 cpl. Otherwise, 7 cpl for straight work. 65 characters are in a line. Gotta work on that. Thanks!
Try to get the MModal rep - Dinosaur
[ In Reply To ..]
to put that in writing for you. I'm not sure if rep will, but you could try. You may be able to present that to UE along with a recent pay stub. The other posters are right though,it is piece work and you could be making less than that because there is not enough work for a full shift.
Dinosaur! My new name now! - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
We're supposed to have another spiel by MModal's rep. I will come armed with your info and insist on getting it. Thanks to you all!
Yes, you should be given a contract with pay rates - to take to UE.
[ In Reply To ..]
Also, are you currently paid for headings? - MM doesnt pay for headings, demographics etc
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You were offered 7 and 3 cpl???? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh my God!!!! I thought 8 and 4 was horrific. You will be going from 20 bucks an hour to something like 7 an hour. You will most definitely have no problem getting UE. That line rate is just mind boggling.
M-Modal's 7/3 cpl offer - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, and saying we could just WHIZ thru the VR reports and make a lot of money! Their medical ins. and other "benefits" cost a whole lot more than I have to pay into at the acute care now. A nearby hospital laid off all their transcriptionists and offered them the same deal - get laid off OR work for M-Modal. They ALL chose the layoff and ALL got unemployment. I wonder how many MT's are going this route??
And for acute care work, too.... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
just disgusting. I will tell you, on a *good* day, I can do 400 lines/hour (or close to it) when I get really excellent dictators/dictations, and completely glue myself to my chair and stay focused. Even with that, though, you'd be getting 12 bucks an hour. Sickening! I made 12.50/hour fresh out of MT classes back in the 1990s for crying out loud. You cannot live on that kind of money in 2013! I guess as long as there are people willing to take their 3 pennies a line, they will stay in business. They will have all newbie, just graduated from Career Step (or wherever) transcriptionists though with no skill or experience whatsoever.
"we'd get 3 cpl. Otherwise, 7 cpl for straight" - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
there is your proof right there. 0.03 x 2,000 lines per day equals $60 dollars.

So if you product 2,000 lines per 8 hour shift at 3 cents per line, you would only be making $7.50 an hour. That is more than half of a cut in your current salary and I can guarantee you that you will be recieving 98% voice recognition (editing work), very little straight typing. Some days I have no straight typing and some days I am lucky enough to get between 1 and 5 reports.

Also, keep in mind I used 2,000 lines per day as a ballpark figure; you may not be able to produce that many lines.

Another thing no one else seems to have caught: Is MM lowering their pay? I have never heard of them offering 3 cpl and 7 cpl? I thought 4 cpl and 8 cpl were standard?

I am one of the lucky ones making 6 cents per line for editing and 9 for straight typing. Just curious, as I have never heard anyone else mention the pay only being 3 and 7.
no this is the first we've heard of 7/3 - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Average lines at acute care on site - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
Here, where I work for the same doctors all the time and have created my own templates for nearly every type of report they dictate, I have been averaging between 1900-2400 lines per day (good days without too much interruption with phone calls, rush note requests, etc.) I am fast and accurate. BUT, if I have to proofread VR notes dictated by foreign-accented docs and edit them, my line count will dramatically drop. I can see it already without actually having done it.
I used to be able to make similar to that. - but...
[ In Reply To ..]
Pre-MQ (MM) I had good line counts because I worked smart. My word expander was tailored to the dictators, I had many templates for various doctors and macros. Add to that, I was very familiar with the doctors' accents.

Here, I am never am on one account long enough to develop and use templates, etc., or get used to doctors' accents. Nowadays, I do so many different accounts and doctors, it is a bit like starting a new account many times a day. There is no consistency in the report formats, and some of the client's demands are downright ridiculous.

The only reason I am still here is I haven't found another decent MT job, and so now, I am going to school and training for a new occupation. I'll be finishing in January, and them I will be out of here.

I have 25 years of MT experience, and I am now earning less than I did at my first MT job.
Diminishing work, diminishing pay - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been warned by a former Medquist MT about how you never get thet same doctor twice, or rarely, can't create shortcuts or templates, and can't get a "flow" going at all. That's why working for ANY at-home transcription company, and especially M-Modal with its horrible reputation (and I am SOOOOO done with everything India!) is just not viable!

I would - wait

[ In Reply To ..]
for the layoff and collect unemployment. I don't know how anyone can prove what you would be making, since it is different depending on your accounts and so forth. I can tell you I get partial unemployment and work for MModal since my wages dropped after they sent a bunch of work to India. It's called underemployment. Tell unemployment you can't prove anything since you will be making piece rate and that people that are working there are sitting with no work all day and collecting unemployment while working there. I, like a lot of people, are trying to get out of here, since it is so bad. So sorry to hear your company got sucked in by these snakes.

Thanks - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the good advice. You guys are all great!

are you paid by the line now? - if so how much?

[ In Reply To ..]
because MM is going to give you 8 for transcription and 4 for SR.

Paid by the hour, $20.18 - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked for 19 years on-site HOURLY, not by the line. Haven't had a raise in 5 years. Heard terrible things about M-Modal undercutting transcriptionists' pay in every way possible, but need to PROVE it to unemployment.

You will be lucky to make half. - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe they will offer you 4/8. However, you will get ASR 99% of the time.

I am sorry you were laid off.

Quite the loophole - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how you can "prove" it but I make $8 to $10 an hour. I used to make $17 an hour until my in-house job, stuck us in the out-house.

Perhaps you can point out the minimum line count at MModal and multiple it by the wage of 4 cpl/8 cpl. The number you will get is minimum wage.

mmodal pay - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Find out what MModal considers an average lines per hour, say 250 in VR. Multiply that by the 4 cpl rate. That would amount to $10 an hour at just average, which is usually more than can be done, at least done with the quality expected.

Thanks to anon - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
That helps a lot. Half my pay. Now to do the math, which I'm so bad at! What is CPL? Never paid by the line before.
Standard line pay at MModal - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
for new hires is 4 cpl for VR, and you will get 99% VR, and 8 cpl for straight typing.

They may offer you more than that but I wouldn't count on it. I have 15 years experience and they said experience doesn't matter, everyone starts at 4/8.

cpl = cents per line - Correct me if I am wrong but
[ In Reply To ..]
isn't MMoral's line requirement 150 lph? That would make your salary $6.00 per hour. Much more of a cut than 28%
that's the requirement, but not the average - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the average would be closer to 225-250.
Not only is that the standard but no raises either - Mmodal is cheap
[ In Reply To ..]
You be eligible for a raise if you are under your tier ceiling but even then it is something like a quarter penny per line. Plus your TSM has to approve the raise, you have to pass an audit, yadda, yadda, yadda. The saying on this board is negotiate for as high a line rate as you can because you will never go up and only go down.
cpl = cents per line - and
[ In Reply To ..]
The figures given above are a very good estimate. I don't know what other proof you'd be able to get without actually going to work for them.
Working for MModal not an option - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a young mom at home. I turn 61 this summer. Going home and being in my pj's 24/7 (done it before years ago) and being depressed and without any social contacts for far less pay, plus working for INDIA basically isn't going to be my life. I'd rather work as a cashier at the 99 Cent Store!
Good call. NM - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Thanks to anon - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for not telling me I should opt for this non-option! XX too!
There is ONE reason to consider working for MM - Bilboa
[ In Reply To ..]
Which is that it might make it possible for you to qualify for DOLETA. No clue, of course, how this would work for someone who was sold to M*Modal now, as opposed to having been there a while... but I didn't see anything on the DOLETA web site that would disqualify you right off the bat. Presumably, though, that would mean surviving at M*Modal until either you are able to document running out of work or until you're laid off... and at 7/3, they might just keep YOU busy and hang onto you.
"at 7/3, they might just keep YOU busy and hang onto you." - LOL!!! Sounded funny when I
[ In Reply To ..]
first read it, but I know it is not a laughing matter. It is really sad that such a large size company would hire well-skilled, highly qualified individuals for such a low pay rate. Surely they know a person cannot live off of 3 cents a line.

This is news to me. Today is the first day I have ever heard of MM paying 3 cpl...scary and very sad indeed for those who depend on this job to makek a living and support a household.
Doleta? - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
What is DOLETA? I'm 99.9% sure I'm not going to let MModal mess with my life. This is all just too demeaning. It would actually be less demeaning to stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign saying, "My local hospital and India have pushed me into poverty!" Anyway, curious about Doleta. Guess I'll have to check online about it. Thanks.
MModal is already approved for DOLETA - see msg - Bilboa
[ In Reply To ..]

If you do a search here at MTStars on "TAA" and "DOLETA" you'll find a lot of info.

DOLETA is the only thing that makes me almost wish I worked for M*Modal.  (I don't, but I keep up with the M*Modal board here because (a) I DO work on their Fluency platform, and (b) I expect to be laid off soon and will probably be in precisely your situation with regard to a "job offer" from M*Modal.)

http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/pdf/2011_brochure.pdf

I keep being kind of boggled that folks here who work at M*Modal are worried about being laid off -- I'd be ECSTATIC if I were an M*Modal MT with a layoff notice (or, for that matter, with enough NJA to qualify for DOLETA -- but the layoff notice would unquestionably save jumping through some hoops to prove the NJA situation).

It - is
[ In Reply To ..]
The Trade Adjustment Act. Being sold out by your hospital to MModal would not qualify you. You would have to be working for the company and then have a drop in your earnings (20%)due to the work being sent offshore, or laid off.

link to newspaper article, but about Transcend - look around

[ In Reply To ..]
Read this article and then try doing a Google search using similar wording to find something similar about MM.

Average line count per conference call - Check posts below

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they said 183 lines per hour. If they are willing to add this to their presentation and you can get a link to it, that might help, along with the other info given by others. Definitely a lot more than 28%. You don't want to work here!!

HR is wrong wrong wrong - been there done that

[ In Reply To ..]
HR is wrong, incorrect, full of it, or mis-informed. Your department is being closed and your job is being terminated. Being laid off is a GUARANTEE that you will get unemployment insurance compensation. They are just trying to intimidate you or they were mis-informed by the higher ups. I was laid off and am been on unemployment now. You do not have to take the job being offered by MM, it is optional. Ten of us were outsourced and nine of us went on unemployment, one went with MM and is really sorry she did. Just ticks me off when HR pulls this!!!

Conference call findings - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The conference call this week had a chart showing 183 LPH.

This is a 14.07% increase from last year (according to MModal data).

Similar Messages:

Laid Off From M-Modal
Aug 22, 2013

It was never my choice to work for Mmodal anyway, I was an acquisition.  But as I was perusing the help wanted lists, the horrible thought occured to me,  what if I got bought by Mmodal again? I think I am going to get out of this racket entirely, retire my foot pedal, hang up my earphones for good!  (And it has to be for good, it can't really get that much worse, can it?) ...

Do You Think M Modal Suits Read This Site?
Apr 26, 2012

How To Prove I Pended A Dictation?
May 10, 2013

Is there any way to prove that I pended a report? I got 3 points deducted in Fiesa for supposedly not pending 3 incomplete reports. I remember doing these because they were all from the same dictator and were all 3 in a row. I remember typing DICTATION ENDS HERE and pending them. Can anyone help? ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

Anybody Been Laid Off By MQ?
Feb 18, 2010

I hear MQ employees are eligible under the TAA to get re-training paid for in another field, but how do you get "laid off"???  ...

Laid-off
Jun 23, 2010

Recently laid-off and I am looking for a job. I was just wondering, being an IC medical transcriptionist has anyone ever qualified for unemployment?? I know this is considered self-employed and most states will not give you benefits, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten benefits being an IC.   Thank you for your time. ...

Getting Laid Off
Mar 01, 2011

4th time in 4 years. Sick of this!!! Will be finding something new to do. ...

Laid Off
Apr 04, 2013

I was laid off today too.  I have been with the company for 8 years.  I consistently make my quota by a long shot, at over 375 lph.  I had my audit a month ago at 99.3%.  I am a single mom trying to support my family, and no, there was no warning, no severance, no nothing.  My supervisor said it is across the board, and she did not have an answer for me as to why me.  I spent the day working on my resume and job hunting and came here to see if anyone had any answers.  To those of you in t ...

If You Are Laid Off, PLEASE TELL US
Jul 24, 2013

TIER REGION PART TIME OR FULL TIME so that maybe we can find a pattern for this. We're sorry for you all but know you will be going to a better place. ...

If You Were Laid Off
Jul 24, 2013

It seems like a lot of the folks who were let go had been with MM a long time. Just curious if there is a trend here, do you mind letting us know what your e/t cpl rate was? Did they just let go of those who were making a decent wage?  ...

How Many Laid Off?
Jul 24, 2013

Does anyone have any idea how many were let go today?  It doesn't seem like many, but of course only a fraction of MModal MTs actually come to this board. ...

Laid Off.....
Jan 12, 2015

Well, it's official.  I just got the call that I am officially laid off!  I am glad that what I knew was inevitable has finally happened so I can move forward, but at the same time can't help grieving over the loss of what once was a career that I loved and was good at.  It's not just the company I worked for; it's the whole medical transcription industry, so as of right now I am totally THROUGH with medical transcription! ...

Laid Off, No Notice
Nov 19, 2009

I just got laid off from Proscript in an email, I think this was very cold, no warning, no 2 weeks notice, nothing......I have worked for them since 2005, this is just wrong..... ...

Those Laid Off From Webmx
Sep 26, 2010

Did you get a severence or any sort of financial support?  ...

Laid Or Lain? Help
Jul 15, 2011

I have this hint that normally helps me:  “lie, lay, lain” (to recline); “lay, laid, laid” (to place or put down). The sentence is:  "The patient was brought into the endoscopy suite and 'laid' in the left decubitus position."  I was thinking it should be lain, but the patient was technically "put" in that position, so it should be laid.  Correct?  I've gone and confused myself. ...

I Wasn't Laid Off
Apr 06, 2013

I was straight-up fired.  I own it, as well as my part in it (production).  I feel for anybody else in my boat.  My husband, thankfully, has a good job so I can take a minute to breathe before plunging back underwater.   I love being an MT; too bad it's an unrequited love.  :/   I was straight-up fired (last week).  I own it, as well as my part in it (production).  I feel for anybody else in my boat.  My husband, thankfully, has a good ...

If You Are Fired/laid Off, Do You
Apr 06, 2013

or at the end of the month. I am making appts like crazy, just in case... ...

FOR ALL LAID OFF EMPLOYEES TTA (?)
Nov 08, 2013

First let me tell you I was laid off after 9 years last August.  I was told many lies like all part-time employees are being laid off, you won't be able to get unemployment, don't feel bad you didn't do anything wrong.  I applied for unemployment and have been getting unemployment ever since.  I got selected (yeah me) for a special project going on with the UE commision and the lady who I report to is wonderful.  She believes M@Modal made a plethora of errors a ...

Laid Off Question
Feb 12, 2014

Hi, I was laid off from MModal and I understand there is a federal program or a company that helps people possibly with going back to school and stuff and MModal already has an open case number. My computer crashed that had this information on it and if anyone can help it would be greatly apprecaited.  Thanks in advance. ...

Any Other ICs Get Laid Off From Medscribe In Florida?
Feb 20, 2010

Any other ICs get laid off from Medscribe in Florida? ...

You Are Not On The List Of Laid Off Employees
Mar 18, 2010

That is what I was told.  You are not on the list of Laid off Employees.  There is a list?  Medquist actually laid off people?  Yes.  There is a list.  Medquist sent it to us.  Really?  How many people did they lay off when CBay got 80% of the work? Drum roll please....................... 6 6? Yes, 6. You mean they got taken over by a company in India with 6,000 employees and they only had to lay of 6 USA transcriptionists? The point of the post..... ...

Does Anyone Know How Many People Webmedx Laid Off? Sm
Sep 01, 2010

I am afraid as I am not getting much work there lately.  I applied to a few companies but no one is hiring right now for what I need. Any idea if it was just a few or a few hundred? Where will we all go??? ...

Laid-off Webmedx MTs, Did They Call You?
Feb 03, 2011

I note that in the last week there have been many new MTs come on board at Webmedx. They are being hired for new accounts. I'm wondering of Webmedx kept their word by calling those they laid off and asking them to come back. If you were laid off, did you get a call? (I know, whether you'd consider going back is another question entirely) ...

Happy New Year - You've Been Laid Off
Jan 04, 2012

What's an IC to do?  As much as the company bragged about being in the local paper a month ago, they claim to have lost a huge account and have to let go all those working on it.  Not eligible for unemployment, 4 kids at home from 5 to 20, a mortgage . . . thank goodness I'm on Cymbalta!  I need to find another job - ASAP.  Can anyone out there recommend a company that offers employee status, where I won't have to work 1 weekend day????  My resume is prett ...

Laid Off By Nuance Due To Satellite Only.
May 09, 2012

I have heard that their transcription and editing platforms -- Escription will work with satellite internet.  I know I am not the only one who could no longer work at Nuance due to only having satellite internet.  I was working for awhile at my daughter's home, but that did not work out too well due to house overrun by all the kids and their friends.  If I could have had my own private office, I would have stayed there to work.   Anyway that is all beside the point ...

If You Were Laid Off From OptumInsight I Hope You
Aug 17, 2012

you are doing well.  I'm struggling a little today.  I hope the others have had time to catch their breath and go forward.   ...

WOW-I Get Laid Off, Wanted To Share It With You...
Apr 04, 2013

and now some are calling it a hoax. I have spent most of the day talking to UE and my states Food Share Program. Working from home for so long, I wanted to share my news with my fellow MTs. I thought they would understand how I felt. I appreciated some of the MTs wishing me luck, but I am surprised and sad to see that so many have become so "cold" that they can't even open their minds and believe someone. I still wish all MTs the best of luck. I will be fine. Even, at my age, they can ...

Layoffs Curious If The Ones Laid Off
Apr 05, 2013

got an email from amy about all mt meeying on april 17?.  i got that email and 20 minutes later board was full of talks of layoffs.  just wondering if i got the email because im safe or if everyone got it ...

Ok I'm Totally Confused. They Just Laid Off Sm
Apr 12, 2013

a tone of people and now they have an ad on the other website hiring MTs?  What the crap is up?  They are so mismanaged it is pathetic!  Stupid, stupid, stupid. ...

Just Got Let Go! I Was Laid Off. Got The Call Tonight.
Jul 23, 2013

Yep!  I was told it had nothing to do with my work, line counts, etc.  Just they are making cuts.  Been here for decades.  ...