A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why are many on PODS, and many are not? - curious about this

Posted: Mar 13, 2015

Is it because of the work availability on accounts.....meaning there is not enough regular work coming in from them individually to warrant "a primary account or a primary MT?"  Is it because of client specs for different accounts?  Does it matter whether it is clinic work or hospital work?  Is it because they could put all of these accounts on the same platform?  I really do not get this.

I am not on a POD.  I work on Charnet.  I have a primary account, and 2 backup accounts.  I am not sure how long I will last here (been 2 years now), but I stay because of the benefits, my shift, pretty regular work, and great management working directly over me.  The account specs are a little tricky, and we also have some dictators from H#!!

Are the PODS a test?  Do they expect to lose those accounts anyway?  It seems to me that it is a "no-brainer" that if MTs work the same account(s) day in and day out, it would improve production, TAT, employees working assigned shifts, and above all, the accuracy and quality of reports.  Everyone knows that - so why would a company who claims these things are so important undermine their own success in this way?  If the unreasonable accuracy requirements didn't get rid of enough MTs, this surely will.  What will they do then? 

Are there any MTs out there doing well on the PODS?  Seems there is plenty of work for everyone, even OT.  Is it working out for anyone?  For the company?  Can MM claim this is successful yet?  Afraid I would not be able to do it.  Most of my MT's success is because I am so familiar with account/speciality/same doctors/and specs.

Not on a POD, but have 4 to 5 accts. - Here is what I do

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a small note/list taped to my monitor on each account that lists pertinent specs such as:

Meds - Numbered List
Allergies - All caps
Dates - Blah, blah.
Patient name I report - Yes/No

and any other pertinent info particular to that account. When I switch, I glance up at it. Now, if I had more accounts, as some on the PODS say they do, how can you ever get anywhere? How many accounts are there? All with different CPs?

My POD - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My POD has around 30 hospitals in it and I've type for each one at one point or another. I certainly don't hit them all in a day, but it's rare to get 3 in a row from the same place. Most all have differing CPs, at least enough so where I have to look at it every time I jump hospitals.

I was born under - an unlucky star

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess.

me too - sigh

[ In Reply To ..]
and i don't even have a huge issue with all the different client profiles. i've learned how to look at them and find the important things that differ from place to place. its the DICTATORS. most are ESL, and it takes FOREVER to learn what they are saying. and of course, as soon as you get used to them they change things, so why bother learning? its just lose lose around here.

PODs and plateforms - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Currently the PODs all have the same working platform, in most if not all cases it's Fluency. This will not be successful, it wasn't the first time around. Of course the first time around it had a different acronym and different owners, I guess the smarts from that disaster didn't carry over to the new guys.

There are several hundred MTs in a POD, each POD has multiple accounts of all types. The POD MTs receive work first in first out of all work types according to their tier level from all hospitals in that POD. It's kind of like a mini cesspool instead of the national cesspool we had to deal with some years ago. The reason there is so much work is due to several factors, unrealistic quality score, long and complicated CPs you have to read each time (there are so many accounts you never get to know the CPs), and of course the dictators you never get to know as there are too many. This slows the work down to a crawl, then they want OT, which many won't do because just working our shift frazzles our nerves. For many of us working OT would result in a stay at a place with Mountain and/or Pine in the title, followed with the word Facility.

lol - so true

[ In Reply To ..]
omg, you nailed it. i'm just a few steps away from one of those facilities. i used to offer to do OT. not much, but i'd do an hour each day. no more. not now. they are killing us, but the shrapnel from their inhumane treatment is flying back and hitting them as well. i hope they sink from all the holes they are poking in everything.

In our pod everyone is assigned to a different - grouping

[ In Reply To ..]
We have 7 groups in our POD. I am on the same primary account that I have had for years, which fortunately has tons of work. When I do end up in the general POD I mostly end up getting the account that used to be my secondary account before the days of PODs.

When the PODs were introduced and my supervisor who was laid off at the time called me, this is how she said the PODs would work. Fortunately, that is exactly how our POD works for me. I get my primary group which is basically one account with 5 or so facilities, and when that runs out I get whatever job is due next in the entire POD.

I am assuming this is the intent of the PODs but some HDSMs are choosing to do their own thing which is what many of you complain about being dumped into the whole POD. I thank my lucky stars every day that my POD is working the way it was intended to. I have had tons of work in my primary account and lots of OT without being dumped in the POD. I don't understand why any HDSM would expect it to work any other way.

So far, I have not minded the POD at all, and in fact am making more money than I have in a long time, although certainly not as much as I used to before ASR and not as much as I should be if we were paid fairly.

Frustration Abounds - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
We get e-mails a couple of times a day telling us how much work is in each of our mini-pods. You think Great! there is some work for me! Wrong. You get everything BUT the accounts you are used to. Its terribly frustrating. I am hoping for another round of firing and/or quitting in our pod's 'upper' echelon -- I'm thinking that is our only hope at this point. ...and those of us who have been around forever know that soon the NO OVERTIME edict will be passed down and where does that leave them then?

Similar Messages:

Pods
Dec 25, 2014

Anybody ever watch Lockup on MSNBC.  I never really have, except there was nothing else on to watch and this prisoner (Oklahoma) was talking about how he didn't want to be transferred to a certain "pod" because he had a problem with someone in it.  OMG - prisoners are also in pods?  I'm speechless. ...

Which PODs Were Taken Off Mandatory OT?
Mar 23, 2015

Just wondering, still have it here and am doing regular clinic notes from an hour ago, not partials.  To me, that seems pretty well caught up.  ...

Questions About PODs And Audits
Nov 12, 2014

I understand that many of you have gone to this POD system, and have read that we will all be doing that.  I guess I would be considered East, but I do not know.  I have not heard anything from MM about it, but I find it hard to sleep at night worrying about job security.  Is it just on say Fluency?  I do not really know what that is and have never used it.  I came as an acquisition and work on the ChartNet platform.  I have also read that you have like 100 di ...

Quality Metrics Since The PODs
Feb 11, 2015

Is it just my accounts, or has anybody else noticed that their BOB/POD quality metrics have taken a nosedive since they started these PODs?  Previously, my BOB would be in the green constantly and we would get praise for it.  Now, all I ever see is red..too many criticals, too many major and minor errors.  Seems like this whole POD idea is working marvelously.  I hope they fail to meet contract and clients start dropping like flies.  Of course, that would be our fault. & ...

Our POD Has Mandatory OT But Other PODs Are Getting Incentives
Mar 16, 2015

x ...

And You Thought MModal Was The Only One With Pods?
Mar 24, 2015

I was almost hysterical during a meeting I had today at my daughter's high school when the Math teacher stated that..."The kids are now all being put into PODS so there can be a collaborative method in teaching math..."  (apparently this is the new Common Core standard that most of the kids seem to be failing at miserably).  Who knew Pods would become so popular? ...