A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Umm... I think MModal did not follow the WARN Act. - Mass Layoffs of 50 or more at one time.

Posted: Aug 17, 2013

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/layoffs.htm

WARN protects workers, their families, and communities by requiring employers to provide notification 60 calendar days in advance of plant closings and mass layoffs.  Advance notice gives workers and their families some transition time to adjust to the prospective loss of employment, to seek and obtain other jobs and, if necessary, to enter skill training or retraining that will allow these workers to compete successfully in the job market. WARN also provides for notice to state dislocated worker units so that they can promptly offer dislocated worker assistance.

A covered plant closing occurs when a facility or operating unit is shut down for more than six months, or when 50 or more employees lose their jobs during any 30‑day period at a single site of employment. A covered mass layoff occurs when 50 to 499 employees are affected during any 30-day period at a single employment site (or for certain multiple related layoffs, during a 90-day period), if these employees represent at least 33 percent of the employer’s workforce where the layoff will occur, and the layoff results in an employment loss for more than six months. If the layoff affects 500 or more workers, the 33 percent rule does not apply.

WARN does not apply to closure of temporary facilities, or the completion of an activity when the workers were hired only for the duration of that activity. WARN also provides for less than 60 days notice when the layoffs resulted from closure of a faltering company, unforeseeable business circumstances, or natural disaster.

Employee Rights

Workers or their representatives, and units of local government may bring individual or class action suits. U.S. district courts enforce WARN requirements. The court may allow reasonable attorney's fees as part of any final judgment.

What is a mass layoff??  "Mass layoff" is defined by the United States Department of Labor as 50 or more workers laid off from the same company around the same time.

There is more to read in this Employment Law Guide.  I know for a FACT there were pages and pages with lists of names.  I was told I was number 92 on the list and there were over 100 more to go that needed to be called and it was not dealing with today's events. 

IMPORTANT ABOUT THE WARN ACT. - A MUST READ.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://forum.mtstars.com/498699.html

Notices to employees or their representatives. WARN requires employers to notify either the individual employees affected by a plant closing or mass layoff or their representatives at least 60 calendar days prior to any planned plant closing or mass layoff. If employees are terminated on different dates, the date of the first individual termination within the statutory 30-day or 90-day period triggers the 60-day notice requirement.

Probably does not - apply

[ In Reply To ..]
to an Indian company.

Let's do something - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was laid off today. Posted below.

Ah Oh!! - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
This sounds like something their high-paid lawyers missed. Sounds like another employee lawsuit is possible on this one. Could be they got carried away with their big bad selves one too many times.

they probably don't have to warn us cause we are remote - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In the wording, no communities are affectd because we are scattered, so I would investigate that aspect.
It is at the same company. Same address - where we get our paychecks.
[ In Reply To ..]
We are also being shut down as far as I am concerned because of being offshored/outsourced.
We are a community of medical transcriptionists, - and we most definitely ARE affected!
[ In Reply To ..]

If you were laid off, you need to tell your UE office - about not abiding to the WARN Act.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://humanresources.about.com/od/glossaryw/qt/WARN_Act.htm

The WARN Act requires employers to give notice of any mass layoff, that does not result from a plant closing, but will result in an employment loss of 500 or more employees during any 30-day period. The Act also covers employment loss for 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's active workforce. (This does not consider the layoff of employees who have worked for the employer less than 6 months in the past 12 months or employees who work, on average, less than 20 hours a week.)

Under WARN Act provisions, an employer who orders a plant closing or mass layoff without providing this notice is liable to each unnotified employee for back pay and benefits for up to 60 days during which the employer is in violation of the WARN Act. (The employer's liability may be reduced by the amount of any wages or unconditional payments paid to the employee during the violation time period.)

The employer who fails to provide this notice to the implicated local government is charged a civil penalty of up to $500 for each day the employer violates notification requirements. This penalty can be avoided if the employer pays each affected employee within 3 weeks after the plant closing or layoff.

In a personal story, I was forced to lay off 26 employees (non-union) during a potential client bankruptcy situation. No sooner did the laid off employees hit the unemployment offices in the state than the WARN Act officials were on the phone to me. Employees told their tales of woe to the unemployment compensation office workers and predicted that we would shortly close the company. The front line workers notified their supervisors who notified the state.

I was able to tell the WARN Act officials that we had not, and did not intend to violate the WARN Act. But, the experience was a lesson in how quickly our state reacted to a former employee-spread rumor. Since I know you'll want to hear the end of the story, the short-term cuts helped save the company which is thriving today. No additional employee layoffs were required.

Not sure this applies to MM - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
If you read the employee handbook, it states we are "at will" employees and can be let go at any time for any reason. I think this covers their butt so to speak. But I'm not a legal expert. I'm part-time in the North and still have my job (as of today) but I admit my stomach is in a knot waiting for the phone call.

it certainly does apply - can you say class action suit? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, we are at-will employees, but these were - MASS LAYOFFS.

[ In Reply To ..]
Mass layoffs brings the Warn Act into play.

"Mass layoffs" is a relative term. - How can you know it was a "mass Layoff"

[ In Reply To ..]
I count less than 10 who posted on this board that state they were laid off this week. M-Modal apparently has 12,000 employees, so that would hardly qualify as a "mass layoff."

We have absolutely zero way of knowing how many were laid-off. People saying ALL part timers were let go seem to be contradicted by other part timers posting they still have jobs. A couple of posts say their CCM told them it was 100s of lay-offs, but if the calls were being monitored with more than one person on the call, as was also stated, then I find it difficult to believe any CCM went off script to give information on how many were laid off.

I don't think I would get my hopes up that a class action lawsuit will come to save the day. Big Business seems to always win. Besides the last big class action lawsuit win against MQ resulting in the MTs getting a free dictionary or a CMT course. Not exactly a big win there.

MTs who use this board are likely just a small - percentage of total MTs laid off. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

WARN does not cover PT employees - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

HERE'S WHO'S COVERED UNDER WARN - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
Got this off the DOL website for WARN:

Who is Covered

The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act is administered by the Employment and Training Administration (ETA). WARN generally covers employers with 100 or more employees, not counting those who have worked less than six months in the last 12 months and those who work less than 20 hours per week, or those employers with 100 or more employees, including part-time workers, who in the aggregate work at least 4,000 hours per week, exclusive of overtime. Regular federal, state, and local government entities that provide public services are not covered. Employees entitled to notice under WARN include managers and supervisors as well as hourly and salaried workers.

Looks like it is only triggered if they lay off more than - 500 workers in 90 day period

[ In Reply To ..]
So one can safely assume they did not lay off more than 500 workers in the last 90 days.

bet they stopped at - 499
[ In Reply To ..]
they've got pretty smart lawyers.
You bet they do. People are dreaming if they - think there is a lawsuit in this
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course they have lawyers advising them. To think they don't is pure folly. They can stop at 499, wait for 90 days, and do 499 more.

I guess I am not as outraged at this as some apparently are because I learned a very long time ago that life is not "fair" and a business is about the bottom line and profits for the top dogs only.

I shrug my shoulders and move on. They are not worth getting in a big old tizzy and raging for justice.

We all saw this coming 10 to 15 years ago and certainly this past 5 have been nothing if not a gigantic neon sign that our jobs were very much going, going, gone.
499 employees, then another 499 employees, etc. - exMT to be
[ In Reply To ..]
If this is the case, most certainly legal action should be undertaken as the judge might take a very dim view of this practice, and consider WARN violated. In any case, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why anyone applying for UIB should not tell them that they think there might be a violation of WARN, and then let them investigate; basically the same principle applies here as when filing other sort of insurance claims, file it anyway even if you don't think it is covered, you might be surprised, in any case let them tell you it does not apply.
People dreaming may actually have a valid reason to do so - and should ALWAYS ask questions SM
[ In Reply To ..]
or at least make inquiries about what's going on with UC, Dept of Labor, attorneys, any source they may have available in their state.

You may prefer to roll over and play dead, others may not.

Similar Messages:

If Wanted To Warn About A Company
Sep 05, 2010

If I wanted to warn potential applicants about a company (or in particular, the one person from *** who is allowed to make life miserable for the transcriptionist) that I see is advertising for positions (again) , would be that be an ethical thing to do?  I would not want anybody to go through what myself and 3 others have been through. ...

Followup, Follow Up, Follow-up, Etc.
Aug 15, 2011

Can someone please tell me what the new and improved BOS rules are for the use of these words? ...

I Guess I Will Make It My Life's Mission To Warn Others About Omniscribes Sm
May 05, 2013

so that they do not end up in the same position I am. I entered into the agreement fair and square with no mention of having to wait to be paid, yet here I sit, waiting, perhaps forever. I cannot even come up with the $96 to file a small claims case against her until I get my first check from the new job. She sits in church and paints herself as this giving, caring, Christian woman, goes home to her nice house with 2 vehicles, while I sit here in my tiny apartment with my ancient car, wonderi ...

Followup Or Follow-up
Jan 21, 2010

when not used as a verb is it hyphenated or one word? ...

Followup Vs. Follow Up
Sep 11, 2010

Is follow up one word or two, such as "the patient returns for follow up of right knee pain."  Half the girls I work with do it one way and I have always done it as two words.  I would just like to know who is correct.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Followup Or Follow Up
Mar 01, 2011

Help guys!  I have been working with numbers all day, which is not my cup of tea!  I am totally brain dead right now.  If the doctor states the patient is to have cardiology followup, it would be followup, or is it follow up?  ...

Followup .... Follow Up
Feb 01, 2012

Like to share a link about when to use followup and when to use follow up! ...

Follow Up Vs Followup ...
Apr 24, 2012

whats your opinion for the sentence below? "I plan to see him in followup/follow up in 6 months." the doc prefers it one way whereas i'm pretty sure I know which one it should be...can i get your opinion?... ...

Follow Up Or Followup
Jan 09, 2013

It's always the little things that snag me up.  I know the rules on follow up as a verb  and followup as a noun and adjective, but when a doc says, "CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Follow up acne", does he mean "recheck acne" which would make follow up a verb and thus spelled follow up, or does he mean "here for a followup of acne"? and thus the followup spelling.  What is the general rule on this "shortened" statement? Thanks. ...

Followup Vs Follow Up
Feb 28, 2013

Does anyone have a good way to explain the difference in how to use them? ...

Follow Up Vs Followup
Nov 04, 2013

Someone once told me a word to substitue that would let you know which follow up to use.  Does anyone know what that word is???? ...

Help! Will Follow Up S/l EP STAT? I'm Stumped!
Jun 09, 2010

.. ...

Small-bowel Follow-through
Aug 06, 2010

Can anyone please give me a reliable source to verify the correct way to type small-bowel follow-through?  Appreciate any help.     ...

Follow-up On QA Submission Yesterday
Oct 27, 2010

On the 3 horrible reports that I had to submit to QA yesterday because of the 3-blank rule, thus losing 3 cpl probably, QA had no more luck filling in the blanks than I and sent them through with 5-10 blanks.  That makes me so mad -- not at QA, just in general that I get penalized financially when it was the DOCTOR'S FAULT AND THE PICKY FACILITY'S "RULE."  ...

Using Followup Versus Follow Up
May 19, 2011

Hello Ladies....where I work we are diving into the Book of Style.  I am having a hard time determining when to use followup (one word) versus follow up (2 words).  Can anyone post any examples of the correct usage and/or anything you use to help you know which way is correct?   Thanks ...

TTS - I Was Offered A Job But They Didn't Follow Up.
Aug 17, 2011

What is up with this company?    Maybe they lost accounts but at least they could have let me know so I'm not just waiting for training. ...

Need Help/input. QA Problem....followup/follow Up
Jan 19, 2012

I know how to use followup and follow up in most circumstances, and I thought I knew how to use it in all circumstances. However, what about in these instances: CHIEF COMPLAINT: Followup/follow up. CHIEF COMPLAINT: Followup/follow up of left knee pain. I was 100% confident in myself, but QA has given mixed feedback... ...

Capitalization - The Nouns That Follow A Proper Noun
Oct 05, 2011

Hi guys, Having a discrepancy regarding captilization of the words, especially if they are following a proper noun. Example:  Severstal Sparrows plant dispensary, Macy's storeroom. In the above examples, is it mandatory to captilize the nouns that follow a proper noun. i.e., Severstal Sparrows Plant Dispensary, Macy's Storeroom.   Please do the needful.   Thnx, Syd !         ...

Does M*Modal Follow AHDI Book Of Style?
Feb 08, 2013

I ask this because in my pre-employment test with M*Modal, I got dictations where they dictated the wrong punctuation and I edited it according to the AHDI Book of Style, which is one of my chief references when transcribing. I got a reply back from M*Modal saying that my results of their pre-employment test "did not match their criteria", whatever that means. I got the same reply from Acusis, another company that rejected me on the grounds that my results "didn't make the cut."  Was ...

Capitalization - The Patient Was Advised To Follow Up With Primary Care
Feb 28, 2012

"The patient was advised to follow up with Primary Care." I have been capitalizing Primary Care....Is this correct? Need second opinion. Thanks! ...

Help! Patient Had Head Trauma A Year Ago And Doc Is Dictating A Follow-up (sm)
Oct 03, 2014

Patient had a FU MRI scan of the brain showing "possible punctate area of signal loss in the (s/l greater archeal) imaging."  I was thinking "radionuclide" but not so sure about this!  Thanks for any help! ...

Testing Question...Do You Transcribe Verbatim Or Follow AAMT Guidelines?? Sm
Dec 30, 2009

Is one or the other just a given?  Please help! ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Would You Hyphenate "a 3 Year Follow Up" Is Recommended
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

MT Week "follow Up" Letter
Jun 10, 2013

Did they use the incorrect for of "follow up" in this letter?  Shouldn't it be followup?  99.6% accuracy....HMMMM..... ...

Q Regarding "follow Up"
Jan 19, 2010

I always get confused when "and" is used before "follow up" .. is it followup or follow up? She is going to increase her activity and follow up with me in 2 weeks. ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...