A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Production scrutiny - dumbdumb

Posted: Dec 02, 2010

For the life of me I cannot figure out how they justify the manhours being spent to see if we are typing all 60 minutes of each hour without bathroom or snack breaks when we are not paid by the hour.  If we are not typing for 5 or 6 minutes here and there, we are not producing, thus not getting paid line rate.  It only hurts us so why do they even care?  Am I totally stupid?  It affects our benefit rate, still only hurting us.  The only benefit left for this company that I am seeing is that we work at home.  The flexibility and low stress level is totally absent now.

I agree - Old part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
I think maybe they have some unpaid interns working for them now who they're keeping busy by having them make spread sheets on us. I make well over my required lines per hour but I admit that I'm the type who pounds away furiously for a while and then might wander away from the keyboard for 5-10 minutes here or there. I'm not hurting them - they only pay me for what I produce. This is the way I work best. In the words of Popeye, "I Yam what I Yam."

When I got my e-mail with my production numbers, all I could really do was shrug. They don't give me anything to gauge them against (what other people do or their own expectations) so I don't really know what to make of them.

that is what delete button is for - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
The report meant absolutely nothing to me and so I deleted it. You are correct there is nothing to gauge it against so what was the point? As long as I make my minimum lines per hour what do they care how many keystrokes I use or how many mouse clicks I use. Honestly, somebody at corporate has too much time on their hands. Yet another try to rile up the MTs. Perhaps this was our early Christmas present! :)

delete - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
I deleted it too after I wrote my CCM and told them how insulted I was by it and did not appreciate them telling me how many times I used keystrokes or mouse or whatever. Actually, I don't even know what the numbers were, I started reading it then deleted it without finishing it. What a joke! I believe you are right, it seems that many are very worried about the letter. If your doing your job to the best of your ability, just consider it another waste of money by the company and forget it!

My take on this....sm - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
For those of us who earn PTO and other benefits, I believe they will somehow figure out a way to use these figures to deny or reduce our benefits by stating that we were on the clock and were not working and thus, "stealing" time from the company and that will be their reason to reduce/deny our PTO, etc.

Just about have had it...might apply to McDonald's - NCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If I make my line rate I still get below minimum wage,and if they drop the ASR rate as some people suggest will happen sometime in the future, it will be even worse. Saw an ad for McDonald's for 3rd shift, which I may apply for. I will actually make more than minimum wage and will have benefits no matter how many Happy Meals I serve or how many Big Macs I make. I have to work 3rd shift because I babysit my grandkids during the day...Ronald McDonald, prepare a place for me in the Land of Quarter Pounders and French Fries!!!

What about when you need to look up - something, go on Google, SM

[ In Reply To ..]
look in a book, etc. This sounds so ridiculous to me.

Google - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
When you need to look something up, look it up. It is ridiculous and I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep doing what your doing.

like they need more ideas to cut the pay. - look for it now.

[ In Reply To ..]
wawa

You're right - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder how many people they hired to do this productivity project - and how many to do the 6.1 upgrade, and all the other Brilliant ideas they come up with!

re: scrutiny - D-Lo

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure I understand all the concern about this "production scrutiny" and why MTs are so upset about it's implementation. I personally don't feel threatened by it. I've been with MQ for a long time.

I'm havent' changed a thing in what or how I do things regardless of upgrades, tools, references yadda, yadda, yadda.

I got my first analysis thingy this week and it was on par so, I'm just going to keep plugging away. I don't sit at my screen for a whole hour EVER! I'd go nuts (plus I have RLS!!) I get up, let the dog out, let the dog in, feed a cat, snuggle a cat, chat with the neighbor, clean up, do laundry, shop online and such and come back to work. I put in 8 hours, take no lunch, just the breaks above to let me move around.

Well, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just saying that I personally am still not going to change a thing I do!

I tend to agree with you - MQMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not see anything on the original email that says there is anything we have to do mandatory, it is voluntary whether we want to adjust the way we type.

I have not received my numbers yet, but will probably look at what they have to suggest to see if I can do better. I am a mouse-oriented person, that is how my brain is wired and so I know that will not change, but I am open to any other suggestions that may help my production. I see it as a tool with a choice to use or not use, nothing more.

and do u get minimum wage?with all that movn - surly is not productive?

[ In Reply To ..]
just wondering

They don't spend any manhours coming up with it. sm - X Mgmt

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a stats/metrics report that is available at any time. They look at it every single payperiod.

All are reviewed with specific attention paid to those who are either out of compliance with requirements, receiving minimum wage differences, etc.

There is not an expectation that you should be transcribing or active for all 60 minutes out of every hour. However, if you are only active 30 minutes out of every hour logged in, something is amiss. Especially when you are not making required line counts or are receiving a minimum wage assistance.

Virtually every company performs comparable analysis and monitoring, whether the employees are aware or not. It is about performance and production.

You are working in a high-production field. As more work is pushed into ASR, performance becomes more key for both you and the company. It pays to only retain those who meet and exceed expectations.

You don't have to like what I am saying but just be aware so you can understand what is happening and why.

X Mgmt

re: X mgmt - SooSie

[ In Reply To ..]
Makes perfect sense. I can't see how any company would want unproductive, mediocre workers. They want "the best of the best" (Top Gun... hee hee)!~

Those who can, do. - Those who cant, are in Management.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Hehe, not for me. I left the Q mgmt team for production work. - X Mgmt

[ In Reply To ..]
In mgmt, I was working the most horrific number of hours. Pay was good but the hours were awful.

My family and I talked about it. I love being in management but, as with any position, there is a point where the money is not worth all the effort.

So, I walked away from a $54,000 salary and went to work at another company in production. Been there every since. My first year was not quite as good but I have been able to stay around $50,000 now with my production.

I agree that many in management cannot do production work but that is not always the case (smile).

X Mgmt
Good managers - Old part-timer
[ In Reply To ..]
The good managers are the ones who were on this side of the keyboard at some point! I am lucky that my CCM started out as a transcriptionist and understands what we deal with. I think a lot of the higher-ups have absolutely no clue.

Wish you could say what company. Everything - I look at would not be
[ In Reply To ..]
close to $50k a year.
re:Xmgmt,,LOL, key words "went to work at another - company" says it all
[ In Reply To ..]
hehehe

Even if we were being paid hourly, all the micro- - supervision would be a bit - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
over the top. But I agree - if we're paid on production, and are expected to "flex" our time in order to make our line counts during low-work periods, then why should they care if we leave our desks to use the bathroom, or eat?

I seriously question the legality of what they're doing. Labor laws state we get, at MINIMUM, a half-hour lunch break and two 15-minute breaks per day.

Scrutiny? - HUH

[ In Reply To ..]
Wait, are you all actually implying that you can't go pee or get coffee when you work for MQ? Someone please clear this up because I just accepted a job with them and now I'm freaking out. I have an understanding of the reasons why this company is not very popular; however, at the moment, I need a job with benefits and they offered that and a schedule I can live with. I'm continuing to look, but chances are good that something else won't line itself up till well after the holidays and that is what it is at the moment. I would love for someone to clear up this whole issue with bathroom breaks and what not because I can't imagine that it's entirely realistic to assume that people are wearing Depends and therefore going to the bathroom every now and again is simply a fact of life, as is getting coffee, or water, or lunch, or letting the dog out. SO please someone clarify these things with some objectivity for those of us that are reading this board after accepting a job that we desperately need and are freaking out over what we're reading. :(

big brother watching - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
This spying thing is new and, like most things at MQ, probably won't be around for very long. Anyone remember when we first got access to backlog/old reports and every.single.one of us got an email saying we had violated HIPAA by looking at something? That ended promptly when they figured out their software screwed up. This will be the same; here today, gone tomorrow. I doubt if they would send this crap to a newbie anyway.

At the end of the day, the work is fine (mine is anyway) and I very rarely get NJA, so I would advise you to just ignore the hoopla in here and concentrate on getting started. It is not anywhere near as bad as you would think by reading here.
Yeah, I agree with HUH. Of course, I don't - work for MQ so please SM
[ In Reply To ..]
don't flame me, but COME ON. Are you really being told that you cannot take bathroom breaks or get up to get coffee or whatever? Are they seriously watching your keystrokes to see if you are using the keys every second of every minute of every hour? For the person asking about this, the new hire, I would just do as HUH suggested, do your best and ignore this nonsense.
oh please, that is a bunch of,well boots on! - that surely stinks
[ In Reply To ..]
piled high

They are watching how many minutes out of - each 60 that you are

[ In Reply To ..]
keyboarding. So now if you are on a phone call or researching a drug or doctor or instrument name on Google, you are not being productive. Answer? Just hit a key over and over or keep foot on the pedal!! Stupid? Absolutely. I am sure they will figure out a way to differentiate if you are hitting a key or actually typing soon.

Also counting our "mouse clicks" as apparently - we are overusing the mouse

[ In Reply To ..]
and that is not productive enough either. Must use the keyboard shortcuts and we are too stupid to know which works best for us.
just ignore the reports - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
We MTs all know that we can only go as fast as the voice allows- some dictators we can speed up and some we can fly through. What keystrokes we use to fix ASR while the voice is going shouldn't matter, as long as we are keeping up. I am one that tends to keep paging down as the voice is going and fixing headings or double words or formatting lists so they probably think I am using way too many keystrokes, but if I get through the report faster who really cares?

Honestly, I believe X Mgmt who said they use these reports to see who is actually working or not. If you are putting in an honest day's work then what does it matter how many times you clicked the mouse or got up to use the bathroom. They are watching for people who only work part of their shift and stay punched in.

HUH - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to understand that many people get paranoid over nothing (nothing personal against anyone, everybody is different). It is like any other job, if you have to pee, go pee, take your breaks and all the above as you would do in any other job. Just keep your production numbers up when you have work and don't worry about it when there is no work. That's all you can do. Trust me, there are many of us working that are quite satisfied with our jobs here and just overlook the studies, threats and whatever they throw at us. All companies do that and if you let them, they will. Just do the best job you can and take all the other stuff with a grain of salt. It really is nothing to get paranoid over. Don't freak out! LOL
re: Huh/scruitiny - Nail on the head
[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly. Just when I get sick and tired of reading the ranting paranoid postings of those afraid to pee or eat, the voice of reason.

This is a production based JOB. They aren't "Big Brother". The counts they are doing are in an attempt to make our jobs easier and their ASR more efficient because their bottom line is big bucks. The more efficient the machine, the bigger their bucks.

We are part of that machine. If we DO OUR JOB like we're suppose to, meeting our lines, working our schedule, adhereing to their expectations, THEN THERE IS NOTHING TO BE PARANOID ABOUT!

I got a new computer and it doesn't have a camera installed, doesn't have a GPS subcutaneous injector so they can follow me throughout my house!

Just do your job to the best of your ability and I promise, you'll be fine!
Right - nan
[ In Reply To ..]
If they want real efficiency, scrap the ASR. I have been hearing some horror stories on that stuff. Nothing can replace the human mind no matter how hard they try.

Similar Messages:

Article - Dictation And Transcription Will Be Under Increased Scrutiny
Dec 29, 2009

We'll see how this shakes out but what it looks like, according to this article, is that security will be forefront. To me this means that the vampire squids (the suits) who live and die for widespread databases will need to figure out how they can make their systems more secure. I think they can't if they continue the road their on. See below for recent article link.  http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/122109p10.shtml ...

Be Careful, There, Supes, DOL Does Care How Much Extra Scrutiny
Jun 28, 2014

Big 'ole no no, that one. ...

Is It Mucous Secretions And Mucus Production Or Mucous Production?
Mar 11, 2013

Is it mucous secretions and mucus production or mucous production? ...

PRODUCTION PAY
Nov 02, 2009

I would like to know how MTSO's get away with paying MTs and MT editors not hourly, not salary, but solely on how much they produce like they are working on an "assembly line"!!!  Being paid on how much one produces is "pathetic" and is not paying MTs/Editors based on their "knowledge, skill, or experience", and I think is an injustice to the medical transcription profession as a whole. What happens also when an MT/editor works over 40 hours per week.  By federal ...

Production Req'ts
Sep 06, 2012

Does the company you work for have production requirements?  I've never worked with any, but we were just informed that some are coming and that the industry standard is 150+ lines/hr.  I could do 150/hr on a good day, but if there are not a lot of reports available, it would be very hard.  Just looking for others who work with production req'ts and how you cope.  Thanks for your feedback. ...

Well, I'm Under The Gun For My Production.
Sep 14, 2012

I'm at stage 2 now. I've got a conference call for my verbal warning next week. Problem is - I have been in the 'cesspool' for months now. One day I (and apparently everyone else in my group) suddenly had next to no more work from my primary accounts. The account has very apparently gone overseas. Every once in a while 1 report will show up, so I am sure MM has not lost that account. I can see a lone job show up every once in a while in DQM. Since then, I have had no ...

QC Going To Production?
Feb 21, 2015

Is there a date set yet for when QC will be on production? My thought is, if they are going to this and do MLS work as well when no QC available, Nuance probably has to figure out some fancy grid work to figure their pay on this as well. Nuance still hiring like crazy, offering sign on bonuses, recruiting off different web sites, and then some of us sit with OOW, at least on the US only accounts. The last few weeks it has been VERY regular that we run into OOW.  Not even offered to w ...

Why Does It Always End Up Being About Production? SM
Mar 08, 2015

I have never been a top producer, but I have always been consistent and have excellent quality.  All the MTSOs say they want quality but it seems to inevitably come down to producing that line count, no matter what variables come into play, bad dictators, just a bad day, lots of short reports, etc.  All they want is that 250-260 lines edited per day.  I realize there have to be standards and goals but it just seems that in the past copule of years, especially when I worked for Nua ...

Production
Apr 27, 2015

Are there any companies that have any type of incentive plan anymore?  I know several used to have production levels with incentive for reaching different levels but are there any of them left out there anymore? ...

Health Ins. And Production
Nov 09, 2009

If you don't make your production in any given pay period, do they drop your insurance?   Do they give you a warning? ...

Why Is It When You Are Having A Great Production Day,
Jun 07, 2010

the work seems to disappear? I was doing over 400 lph and now no work. This happens every time I have great lph. Can companies do a switch-a-rooney, keeping the work away from people or can the platform be 'fixed' that if you hit a certain lph, no work will download to you? I'm really curious about this. I've been watching this happen for a couple months now. ...

Impossible To Keep Up Production
Jul 11, 2010

I transcribe reports, do ASR reports and I also do MME work.   I find it impossible when I an constantly "switching gears" every day on 5-6 accounts to maintain a decent production.  How can anyone keep up with knowing all the CP's and keeping track of all the details of each account plus do the production we are supposed to do?  If someone has a suggestion, let me know.  We keep getting all these e-mails from QC regarding a complaint from a customer ...

Production Employees (not IC's): How Much
Jul 13, 2010

The compensation structure and "minimum" hourly or daily production expectations often encourage people in our industry to work unreported hours in order to meet minimums.  You have a day when you get a rash of the account's most trying dictators, for instance, and at the end of 8 hours you realize that you haven't met minimums...so you work another hour, while reporting only the 8 hours. Transcription companies are, of course, aware of this dirty little secret and do nothing abo ...

Low Production Due To IT Issues
Sep 22, 2010

I have had a terrible Mon/Tues this week due to the software in my computer being incompatible with the upgrade, or whatever happened with DEP shutdown not being resolved.  How can I get compensated, other than taking PTO.  Have ticket in, but do not know how to document slow production to CCM, as I kept working thinking it was my issue and not the software's, and submitted ticket hours later.  Am I the loser in production/pay?  It would be a gesture of good busines ...

Production/proficiency
Nov 18, 2010

Got a split report.  Never get them.  Had forgotten what I learned in the 6.1 update so had to find it on MQ Central and re-listen to the blessed instructions.  Took forever as it won't let you fastforward to the part of the instructional that you need.  Don't guess their keystroke monitoring cares about that, nor the time I wasted having to do it (yet again).  ...

TT Production Question
Feb 03, 2011

Second night in a row on third shift with hardly any work; do they really expect us to make up all these hours over the weekend? With the regular people who are already scheduled for the weekend and then the rest of us that need to make up line counts, how do we get this done?  ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Anybody Not Paid By Production?
Aug 19, 2011

I keep hearing about how some MTs are not paid via production but rather like a salarie or something along those lines. They just have to do a minimum of so many lines per day. Anybody familiar with this? ...

Production Requirements
Oct 14, 2011

I have always made my production requirements.  But I don't think I will this time.  Does anyone know what happens? ...

Another MQ Production Question
Oct 20, 2011

Just wondering, what is the quickest movement between phrases when moving around a document to place punctuation, skip markers, etc.  Since none of us are in an office together where we can share this info, wondering if I am missing something.  I was also told cutting and pasting may not be counted in production line.  Anybody know this for sure? I am just paying closer attention to how much my hands move to edit and I already knew this, but there is definitely not a 40% drop in ...

MQ Production Questions
Oct 20, 2011

Okay, I need a refresher.  I have to get to the bottom of what is happening to all our pay, except for those few out there. I'm guess keystrokes are only letters and punctuation.  In other words, all the things we have to do to place a skip marker are free to MQ? Pulling in headers, whatever we have to do with our fingers to make that happen, do we get any credit for that in our line count? ADT, all the crazy time we have to spend making sure we have the right patient, visit, e ...

Production Bonuses
Jan 26, 2012

I just received my first *denial* of production bonus in over 20+ years with 98.75% QA score. Every time I look at the payroll data and see...... BONUS:  NO.   I do a slow burn.  I'd like to know who made that judgment call that is going to affect my income for the next 3 months. I'd like to see my mistakes, and if they are legit medical mistakes then I will accept my *penalty*.  I do not want to think my QA score hinges on whether or not someone is having a ...

How Can We Boost Production When ASR Is So Bad
Mar 19, 2012

How can we be productive when we spend more time reading profiles than actual time in a report.   Maybe stop the garbage, give is primary accounts, no more ASR, no more bouncing, no more counting mouse clicks, and give us a raise...   I will be more than productive, like I was in the old days. I used to produce 2000 lines a day. I cannot do that now in 2 days. ...

Production Statistics
Jun 21, 2012

Here's what I think is the reason for the production statistics and what I think is going to happen this summer.  I believe that MM will say they are reducing ASR pay to 4 cpl across the board and that we can all increase production by following the recommendations in their emails.  I hope I'm wrong but if this happens and I get 2/3 of what I am making now, they will get 2/3 of the editing I am doing now until they figure it out and fire me.  ...

Production Bonus
Apr 19, 2013

this is the first time I have not received a production bonus.  can someone tell me how many likes weekly it is to achieve this?  thank you in advance. ...

Qa Working For Production
Jul 05, 2013

Hi, I am thinking about switching from a company who pays QA by hour to another who pays by production but not really sure if that is a good move.  Does anyone do QA by production? Is it hard to meet? do you have to make an average rate like an MLS? thanks :) ...

PRN MT And Work Production
Sep 16, 2013

Very bummed out and disgusted.   Started first day, software installation went perfect, but could not get trained properly on their proprietary system because of conference calls, multiple IMs, all kinds of rucus going on there.  Now I am wondering, was I offered over 9cpl to start and SUPER flexible times/days to compensate for a clunky, antiquated system (have to populate the template headers, no pay for that)!!  Thank you for this question/RANT! ...

Production Pointers Please
Feb 01, 2014

I know some MTs say they make $17 to $20/hr. I'd love some pointers on how you make this happen.  Even with decent dictators, I average about $9/hr and I have been doing this job nearly 17 years.  Even my PC said some produce 500 lines an hour, I don't understand how they do it.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! ...

With QC Going To Production Pay Has Anyone Heard
Oct 27, 2014

Will it be same as MLS requirement or different? ...

I See Posts Below That QC Will Be Going To Production
Nov 02, 2014

Our manager has not told us anything about this. ...