A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Looking at my stats and doing some calculations, - sm

Posted: Apr 30, 2014

and, in my case, ASR saves about 25% to 30% of time versus straight transcription, so the fact that I personally am only making 50% of my regular line rate on ASR is the reason my paychecks have gotten so pitiful.  The bottom line is MM has to know ASR is not helping us do the reports twice as fast, so they are purposely not paying us fairly for ASR.  What I would like to know is are they giving the clients a 50% discount on ASR reports?

ASR - I love it

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure they aren't getting 50%.

I do have to say though, I love ASR. I am definitely twice as fast on it. I can manage about 150 lph straight typing but consistently pull in 300 with ASR. I HATE getting typing jobs.

love ASR? kind of, but... - alphamt

[ In Reply To ..]
You must have great dictators and ASR that remains the same with consistent wording and editors. With difficult dictators that undo ASR gains, finding all the mistakes and correcting them quickly and accurately, on top of researching products and physician names and locations in unknown parts of the country...well I have to say ASR is slower, and I know this because i can transcribe most of these difficult dictations faster even with all the issues because there are no extra corrections to make. Not all of us experience consistently fast days, and i usually round out to a 150-175/hr average. Would rather transcribe, except for the normal sections, for which we can no longer use standards to pull in. I like the emphasis on accuracy, but the corrections and weights of errors are 50% ridiculous and overexagerrated. It really is no longer a profession, but a job where thinking can get one in trouble and working fast with flying fingers is now bumpy, jerky, awkward and very slow. The additional stress of remembering every account's and physician exceptions is on top of everything else a time waster. Without compensation, other than perhaps the Tech office changing the line rate of production based on some variables I cannot determine (do you all feel some days are great and others awful - without explanation), definitely am making much less than 5 years ago. I would say production-wise my production has decreased from 250/hr to 150-175/hr, and pay from take home $1500 bimonthly to $700-$750 bimonthly. Not a professional compensation. We are being controlled by distant variables in production rate and no accurate compensation for difficulty of work. The production end of our profession is no longer transparent, and we are encouraged to find every teentsy fault we can with ourselves and with QAing. Glad you are happy. Not all of us are, probably not more than 25%.

ASR - still love it

[ In Reply To ..]
I by no means have "great dictators". Some of them are awesome and you barely have to make a correction. Other ones every other word is wrong it seems. I read and process much, much faster than I can type. ASR, even when full of corrections, ends up being much faster for me.

For me it's a lot faster to have to correct 2 words a sentence rather than having to type the 10 words in that sentence.

Everyone is always trashing on ASR, I just wanted to point out that not everyone hates it and some of us actually prefer it.
There are those who really like asr and pretty fast - with it ..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It is definitely a different concept mentally and requires a different thought process that is not at all like straight typing. You have to master the shortcuts to the point where they become second nature and re-train your brain so that your listening to catch mistakes and not listening to type.

I never did master the skill of editing, straight transcription was always my preference, but there are some who transitioned well and still average fairly reasonable wages.
I still would argue it's not twice as fast for most people - who are taking a 50% cut on it. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
It's not twice as fast unless you're on the low end of straight typing... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Most experienced MTs average about 250 on straight typing, which is why we're complaining about VR doubling our count. If you transcribe 100-150 lph straight, then doubling VR is more understandable.
enjoy ASR and transcription - s
[ In Reply To ..]
What I like about ASR is it doesn't hurt my wrists as much as typing did. But I get excited when I get a straight typing job! Still all the pressure with multiple CPs and rules and remember this and remember that, I think, is harder with ASR. I just feel like my mind is being pulled 20 million directions on top of doing the job itself (I mean making sense of it).
overlooked in this thread is that ASR is not liked by most of the work force - alphamt
[ In Reply To ..]
now with the expectation of nearly complete accuracy with ridiculous mistakes picking away at a good experienced MT/ME's value....it is next to impossible to do well in ASR. If you are, it is just a matter of time when the boom hits you and your sailing days are over. With the Tier 3 work, the difficult dictators require much more time than straight MT rate, and yet are on ME rate. Even slowing down, i cannot find every idiotic "mistake" of grammar or "not verbatim" teentsy reword from my coworkers to up their QA submission rate by downgrading mine. It is no longer enjoyable or fulfilling to work for this company. Perhaps other Speech Rec companies are not so anal-retentive perfectionistic to the point of requiring VERBATIM with every report - except, when QA says otherwise! There is no value in verbatim. The software is ready to take over, folks, cause it gets away with this nonsensical transcription of some ESLs and other difficults!

Overlooked also is that the management of the ASR production by this company NEVER COMPENSATES for i - alphamt

[ In Reply To ..]
It's continual demotion in pay in order to promote their bankruptcy and financial posturing to become the low-budget choice for most on-shore hospitals. This is psych-ops in business, a trade-off of cutting down worker confidence and compensation (reducing the workforce by continued testing and changes of testing rules which lower remuneration and morale) and promoting corporate success.

Similar Messages:

From My Calculations....sm
Dec 03, 2014

I'm sitting and taking fake figures and seeing what my pay would be with the old rates. Two separate rates for speech/typed. Then taking the new pay scale and same amount of lines, converting them and using the grid. I use it as if I got over 10% and under 99%. It is only a difference of a few dollars. Literally about 6-8$ less. SO if I can get that percentage down, my score up and do more lines i'll be making MORE money. I'm not really concerned anymore. ...

EWord Pay Rate Is < 6 Cpl By My Calculations :( Nm
May 09, 2013

x ...

Abuse Of Stats
Jan 07, 2011

If I reported a dictator that consistently abuses his priority button to my CCM, will anything be done about.  Just getting annoyed with all these 20 or so 10-minute discharge summaries from my second-secondary of non-emergent issues that this one garbage mouth dictator is putting out, when I've got H&Ps going out of TAT on my main account (that are super easy lines by the way, which annoys me more).  just venting. ...

Does Anybody Know If LPH Stats In 7.2 Accurate?
Mar 28, 2013

Mine shows consistently over the 150 minimum and sometimes over 200, but my supervisor keeps saying I am below 150, and you know what that means..... ...

Individual Stats
Feb 02, 2015

since I stopped sending blanks to QA.  No 3cpl deduction for me. ...

When Will The Stats Show The Reality In Transcription?
Nov 15, 2009

In searching the web for a new job I keep running into federal and state stats that say the low end salary of a newbie transcriptionist is $14 and high end is $24.  They must be talking American dollars because Indians make $0.78 an hour.  They also say it is a growing field (so much so it's spilling into the sea and floating to India) and there is a high demand for experienced medical transcriptionists (!?)  Where the heck do they get their outdated information???  I f ...

Farewell To The Proficiency Stats Email
Mar 14, 2013

the latest proficiency stats email says it will be the last - which is good because I don't think anyone likes them. ...

Has Anyone Seen Reliable Stats On How Many MT Jobs Have Been Offshored?
Dec 16, 2013

xx ...

Dictator Ranting About How His Stats Aren't Typed
Nov 30, 2013

I just had a dictator rant to me about how none of his stat reports are being typed in an urgent fashion. The thing is, he only dictates that they are stat reports, saying "this is a priority report" on his dictations, but never marks the reports themselves as stats so they end up being distributed as regular dictations. It looks like someone wasn't paying attention in training. He must think we all have telepathy and know what is dictated in a report before even getting them. ...