A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Isn't this just lovely? - CyberlandMT

Posted: Jan 08, 2010

Got an email from CCM indicating we will be facing more shortage of MT/ME work. Encouraged to apply for and switch over to MME since will be seeing more of QA work coming from our ILPs....and that is paid at what? 3 cents a line? Just what I wanted to hear on a Friday afternoon going into the W/E. Wondering, how does this affect the possibility of getting UI or signing up for that TRA or whatever it is called? If we refuse to do MME, then we will be refused UI if all our work is offshored? I feel a huge migraine coming on!

I really hate this sweat work job. - Sweat work pay.

[ In Reply To ..]
Does this company seriously think we are back in the Great Depression? I remember seeing black and white pictures of woman slaving over sewing machines. Yet the big wigs get how much money a year and increases and bonuses? Something like 300-400 thousand. EACH and we have how many on the board? Something like 15-20 big wigs? Our our pay goes to their bonuses and raises. They treat us like crap and you know what everyone tells me in this company? Well, times are changing and you have to go with the times and new changes. Bull crap! Yet the people at MQ tell me this and they get high pay and raises and yet face it, if it was not for a medical transcriptionist, THEY ALL WOULD NOT HAVE JOBS. Remember that so called letter from the bigwig M?

UI - medquist is on a fast link

[ In Reply To ..]
All you have to do is say that you work for Medquist and you will get UI. And yes, you can refuse to work for 3 cents a line. The reason that there is no work is because they sent it overseas and it is not coming back. And don't for one second believe that junk about needing QA. Remember...they got rid of every one of those....

So, let me get this straight about MQ. - What now? IMPORTANT

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me get this straight. Most of the United States transcription work will be sent to India. India MT's either type up the work or do the ASR work. For what? 1-3 cents an hour?

Then the work gets sent back to the United States and the US MT's will be switched to become MME's and get paid 3 cents a line.

Who gets to finalize and sign off the report? UNITED STATES MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONISTS. Then if we screw up, we get fined anywhere from 2,500 to 250,000 and can get fired. Have all of you done the training that ends January 15th and seen the scenerios of the new HIPPA laws?

End result? UNITED STATES TRANSCRIPTIONISTS ARE SCREWED!!!! If MQ can do this, then every other company will follow down the road.

The TAA is ripe for the pickin', folks. - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
I just filled out my forms and was told it will take 4-6 weeks for approval. They asked if I'm still employed with MQ, I said yes, they said no problem. Once I get the approval, they'll pay for training for another career I can take while I'm still working at MQ. I still have to decide what career I want next. That's the hard part, i.e. change.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME! - What you have posted.

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot fully express what this means to me by what you posted. I have to do this myself. Where there a lot of info they needed? Like paycheck stubs, copies of papers, etc. I honestly do not know if I have everything. All I do have are paycheck stubs from the day I started 20 some years ago. I am really, really frightened to do this. But thanks to you!!!!!!! I will give a try. Thanks Poodlepassion!!! I needed to hear this!

TAA - BOMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for keeping us posted. I am definitely headed there. I am so sick of this company and their BS that I want to toss my cookies just hearing the name MQ.

poodlepassion, please read and respond - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Everything on the one step site says you have to be unemployed. I do not qualify for unemployment in my state because I am only part-time and I have another job.

Also, I tried contacting someone from my state in the one step but never heard back from them. Who did you contact? How did you get forms to fill out? How did you qualify if you are still working for the Q?

Please send e-mail if you cannot give answers on this board. I need help.
Sorry, at a dog show all day. Here's what you do. - poodlepassion
[ In Reply To ..]
I went to the One-Step program in California. I don't know if your state is different, but they told me that there were 2 people in charge of the TAA program, one appointed to us who speak English and one for the Spanish speakers (?) Anyway, once I called the TAA appointee, he got back to me within 2 days, so be patient. Other states may be more back-logged. You may want to leave another message. I spoke with him about 30 minutes on the phone. I specifically asked him about needing to be unemployed or fired to qualify for Trade Act assistance. He said no, that someone already petitioned them to put the employees of Medquist in the Trade Act program as they are increasingly outsourcing work previously done by Americans to India. I did get the form in the mail, most of which was already filled out from the information I gave the Trade Act gentleman. A pre-addressed envelope was enclosed and I just put a stamp on it and sent it back. Took all of about 3 minutes to complete. It now takes 4-6 weeks to be processed and I will get a confirmation letter in the mail, at which time I am to contact the TAA gentleman and set up a face-to-face appointment with him. We are to discuss what direction I'd like to go into, whether that is career in demand in this state, and what kind of education I might need to get there. If I don't need education, he'll help me find a new job while I am still working at Medquist. If I need education, there are funds thanks to Pres. Obama to possibly fully pay for training. I'm planning on going into some other medically related career because up until now, I have been very happy utilizing my 30 years of medical experience in so many fields thanks to transcription. It just isn't fulfilling for me like it used to be. I still haven't decided specifically what I'd like to do, but I'm researching like crazy. Hope you choose to also take advantage of this program. I don't see any strings attached. Good luck!!
THANK YOU POODLEPASSION!! THANK YOU! - Good luck at the dog show and have fun.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This means the world to me and my family.

I need help too!! All I want is to go back to school. - Please.

[ In Reply To ..]
Are their info they want besides a form we fill out? Is it difficult?

I wish I would have realized this before I - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
quit the Q & went to work for one of MQ's subcontractors. Guess I really screwed myself.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! - madmamma

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to look into this ASAP! The fact that I now can keep working AND do this is fantastic! I will see what my state has to say about it. I sure hope I can participate.
training for coding?? - tired of losing money
[ In Reply To ..]
Would it be worth it to train for coding, or will that go the way of the MT field?

I'm a huge idiot! What is TAA? - Just ME

[ In Reply To ..]
Help!
Trade Act and Medquist is a company - on the trade act in each state.
[ In Reply To ..]
Trade Act is for employees/people who work for a company that is sending work overseas. A re-post from Poodlepassion (THANK YOU POODLEPASSION) above should help.

The information says a petition must be sent by at least - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
3 workers. Does this still apply since MQ is one of the companes included in the TAA?

medical school - FLMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Does this mean I can get TAA to pay for my medical school tuition?
LOL No. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Only 2 years of training paid and the entire training has to be approved beforehand. Training has to be completed in the 2 years (not paying 2 of 4 years).

You're on your own FLMT. I'm not too worried about you. If you're really doing medical school, you can afford your loans. LOL

Call me stupid, but I am new to the Q, but what is ILP, UI - and TRA

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

ILP = International labor partners, AKA Indian MTs - NM - shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

UI: Unemployment Insurance, TRA should - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
probably be TAA or Trade Act Assistance, which is a federally funded program. It was started a few years ago and updated with more benefits in 2009 (that means us, folks) no doubt in response to businesses going global. The Trade Act was actually written for us displaced Americans whose jobs are either threatened or actually taken away from their employer outsourcing their jobs overseas, i.e., our International Labor Partners.

I did a search and found this post from POODLEPASSION. - Thank you Poodlepassion and all others who posted

[ In Reply To ..]
I spoke to a representative of the Trade Act in person today to ask some questions. I learned this and want to share it to help empower those who feel hopeless this season:

-All states are participating in the Trade Act.

-There was an old version of the Trade Act which necessitated that you be laid off by your company to benefit with the Trade Act. The new version (ending with #7, not #6) starting in February 2009 allows those still working to enroll in the program.

-Medquist has already been included in the program in case your representative asks.

-The program helps you to find another transcription job or train for another occupation while still working at Medquist.

-The process is this: Call the representative in your state (Google "Trade Act" or "One Stop" employment in your state). They'll need information from you like your SS# and mailing address. They will send you a packet to send in to your state to get you enrolled. It generally takes 4-6 weeks for them to complete the paperwork. They will notify you of your benefits after that time.

-Don't wait to get laid off for any reason. Be prepared.

retraining - old,tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was with MQ 100 years ago -unfortunately my work where I am is drying up too. Does this apply to all transcriptionists being put out to pasture....???

Couldn't hurt to ask and see if your company - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
was petitioned to be included in the Trade Act. You might also get in touch with your One-Stop center (a fantastic state resource for anyone) who knows how to help the unemployed or those looking to change their careers. Old dogs can learn new tricks so this old dog ain't gonna beg anymore.

Similar Messages:

Lovely
Oct 26, 2014

to report NJA. ...

OOW On This Lovely Tuesday
Sep 04, 2013

Guess all the new MTs they have hired puts us old gals out of work! I am so sick of waiting for work to come in. I have been in and out of work all morning. I am so frustrated and not a single word from the TL. Guess they don't know what to do either since it isn't their fault. ...

So Lovely To Wake Up
Mar 29, 2015

from deep space somewhere that I have never seen before, with a 40 page CP and speaking in a strange alien tongue.   Going back to bed. ...

Lovely, Now I Can't Download. Anyone Else Crashing?
Jan 22, 2015

x ...

Another Lovely SR He Drinks To Kill Occasionally.
Jul 20, 2012

Should be: He drinks Tequila occasionally. ...