A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I find it funny residents don't know errors in a - report when they see them.

Posted: May 26, 2012

I just did an ortho res who referred to a physiodesis with an A-plate.  This was clearly being said and I knew there wasn't such a thing, so I looked back at previously reports.  There were over 5 throughout the past few years with this A-plate.  Finally, I get to a report with an eight-Plate, which is what it should have been.  This just goes to show you how an error by an MT can be carried through multiple reports for years as many docs just read off them for their history taking.  Imaging all the damage the ILPs are doing.  (I'm an MME and have seen their work.  Not impressed at all).

No "damage" is being done. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you explain how that will affect patient care? You cannot because it will never affect patient care.

No damage is being done because of this. Residents just read what they see and there should be no expectation on your part that they ought to recognize typos. They have other, more important issues to deal with.

AHDI overinflated the importance of typed documents. It is nice to get it all right, but nobody is going to make medical decisions on the basis of tiny details in what you type. A plate, eight plate, or hay plate, nothing will result from it.

This is why hospitals are unconcerned about errors made by VR and this is why they outsource their transcription. It just is not that important to them.

The mistaken idea that their work is crucially important is unfortunate beause it is one of the main things keeping MTs from seeing where MT is headed and being proactive about retraining for a different field.

You can be shocked and argue to the contrary, but I am not mistaken about this.

I kind of agree. I have not felt like what I typed - has made a difference

[ In Reply To ..]
in years. Used to type pathology and felt that was fairly important and life-altering and had to be exactly right. Then typed X-rays and also felt that was needed information. Now --- not so much. I wouldn't trust a history or a medication list off a typed report for nothing. Just a waste mostly. Whether the patient knows what they are taking or have had done (or tells the truth for that matter), whether the doctor can understand the patient and vice versa (or is smart enough as noted above), and lastly whether we can understand the doctor and catch the VR errors for minimum wage --- too many places for errors. On another note, anybody notice when you are spending your "inactive time" trying to find Dr. Widget in Podunk, USA how few doctors are AMA certified these days? There will be 3 names of AMA doctors and then 100+ of non-AMA doctors.

MT future - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Interesting post. Will you say more about where MT is headed. Will it disappear altogether? Will there always be some jobs available for those who supplement another income and don't mind min wage? How long do you think it will stay as it is now?

I have heard that it will disappear with point-click and VR but as I type I wonder how a patient's history could be complete without the narrative. There is just so much individual information that could not be covered with point and click, and I can't see busy doctors doing clerical. Transcription seems like the best way to me.

WOW, I have to admit your post was kind of a wake up call for me - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's really one thing to feel that what you do is completely useless and of no use to anyone but to have it all put out there in black and white was kind of a reality check for me. I guess it would explain the entire "outsourcing" issue and answers the question "Why does it seem like nobody cares about the quality of these documents?" with, "It doesn't SEEM like nobody cares ... they genuinely don't".

disagree - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree that no one cares. Maybe the above example of A plate or 8 plate doesn't matter that much, but overall I do think accuracy matters. We have to have medical records and what is the point of having them if they are not accurate?
I'm an MME, and - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The best example I can think of is that a recent report came across my queue from one of our global employees because it had one blank in it. It was a 500-second report. I went ahead and corrected the entire thing even though we have been instructed to fill in the blank ONLY. I made *62* corrections on that 500-second report - the majority of them critical medication, allergy and historical errors. It was a HUGE wake-up call for me about the many thousands and thousands of reports typed by our global employees that DON'T make it across an MME desk and DON'T get corrected. If you could see the quality of work that I see in an 8-hour day, you would probably FREAK. Sometimes, I actually thank GOD that I have accidentally found the critical errors that I find.

62 corrections in a 500-second report in my eyes renders that document "useless". So I will repeat your question back to you: "What is the point of having them if they are not accurate?"

NOBODY CARES.
and the same mistakes over and over too - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think Global even looks at the reports we correct. At first I thought they did, but after seeing the same mistakes over and over, I don't think so anymore. Now I think I'm just Ms. Fix-It. But you're right. Nobody does care.
To MME...I hope you report this and that MModal - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
has something in place that if they get reports from MMEs regarding errors in reports like this from overseas that something is done about it. Unbelievable!
Nothing New - They Know
[ In Reply To ..]
Long before there was MME, there was a QA Dept at MQ and I was one of them. This offshoring quality is nothing new. I'm going back at least 6 years, maybe more. SO...we QA people spun our wheels to no avail.

This is just old hat, normal for MQ. It's just what they DO.
the only place it makes a difference - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
is if the case ever goes to court. Then you can bet the lawyers will be all over our typed documents looking for mistakes.
to keep JCAHO accreditation - no name
[ In Reply To ..]
Otherwise if it wasn't a law, I think you would just fill out a medical questionnaire.
disagree - MT - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
When you see an entire clinics reports being done VR and they have no editors - I'd have to say fewer and fewer care... so unfortunate - Joe Blow public doesn't know about their medical reports - let alone errors that might be in them...

You are 100% correct - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
Typed reports are used mainly for insurance purposes. Any doctor who treats a patient based on a transcribed report is going to lose his license.

I agree... I think hospitals and doctors - only care minimally

[ In Reply To ..]
about what goes into the chart and MTs who take pride in their work (most of us) are the only ones who really, truly care. Hospitals and doctors have shown how much they value us by what they are willing to pay to get stuff to put in the charts. Foreign workers and VR are the final blow to the idea of quality in a medical record.

transcribed medical records - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If most agree that the records we type are just for insurance and not too important, then why is there constant indignation here about not making good wages? If the reports are not that important, then we should make min wage. Also, we cannot expect to make top dollar in an industry that is fading away in favor of technology.

Very depressing but apparently true.
I actually think that question was part of my wake-up call just now - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I FINALLY made the connection between "why are they paying minimum wage for such a seemingly important part of patient care??", and "nobody cares one bit about the transcribed report anymore".

As depressing as it was, the realization that came with the above post might actually be what I needed to start to let go. I think I'm going to print out the post and pin it on my wall everytime I start to feel that my job is important and that someday I might be paid my worth again.

THANK YOU to the above poster and I mean that sincerely. Sometimes reality checks come in strange forms.
That is my understanding also --- - anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
All the diagnoses have to be done just to a "t" and needed information included so that the doctor can collect from insurance and Medicare. Once again all about the money (for everybody but us).

I've always felt that way too - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
There's so much more information in the chart than just our typed reports. Any health care professional would know to look to actual lab reports or other chart documentation before making any medical decisions.

On the contrary: I've had more than one of the Drs. - Ive typed for tell me that MTs are - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
their FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE against patient care mistakes and/or lawsuits.

Yes, but you are misunderstanding why - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, transcribed documents are legal document, but it is because they provide a record. The CONTENT matters, not the spelling and punctuation.

You are also missing the most important point . . . patient care is not affected. We are not talking about Dr. Smith's interest in sending nicely written letters from hi office, either. We are talking about hospital records.

If you believe what those doctors prattle at you, you have not taken a good look at what they write by hand or type themselves, or produce using Dragon. It is a mess and they do not care. They don't even recognize what is wrong with it. If they really believed that th spelling was going to win a court case for them, they would take more care. The reality is that it just isn't important.

MTs sem to believe that patients will get wrong drugs or dosages, or wrong surgery, because of what they type. It does not work that way. That misunderstanding comes from a lack of understanding about how medical care works. Nurses do not look at your H&P to see what meds to give--they get that from the orders. Surgeries are documented in more detail elsewhere in the record. And everybody just reads and understands it all in spite of the errors.
I agree with you. It's ironic that this kind of - nonsense is preached SM
[ In Reply To ..]
by the MTSOs, don't you think? Docking someone's pay for forgetting to type an "a, the", etc. as if that really matters?
Pt. care isn't usually directly affected. But a careless - RN or MD may not catch the mistake.
[ In Reply To ..]
We are in no way a major player in quality of patient care. But we ARE a valuable link in the chain, because we produce written record they depend on and refer to when treating.

Joint Commission would certainly disagree with this "reality check." - MThospital

[ In Reply To ..]
Just because someone writes something on the internet does not mean it is true. Just because a person came on here and says that Medical Records and their accuracy mean nothing doesn't mean they are correct. This is not a reality check. This is someone's biased opinion.
Anyone who has ever worked in a hospital years ago, yesterday, or today who has to deal with the Joint Commission, will tell you accuracy is extremely important. So are the fines ensued all the way down to lowly MT if caught in error.
So, I would suggest that people take what they read here and otherwise as strictly opinion and not "The Gospel," because the facts are Joint Commission does think it is important.
Most of all have you forgot about
"Jane Doe."
Shame on you for forgetting about the patient.
Our ultimate responsibility (along with providing for ourselves and our family) is to that patient who is directly impacted by our errors. If nothing else, think about them. If nothing else have a conscience!
Your job as an MT, editor, medical clerk, whatever it is MATTERS. Period. Yes, I wrote this on the internet. You don't have to believe it. But, I have had a baby and my medical record was transcribed incorrectly. I was in a hospital and they needed my transfer sheet and that was important (TO ME) because my care when I was sick and vulnerable mattered. As well, if nothing else, the people who come and audit, you better believe THEY CARE.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Yes, it's about the money and our survival, but it's about a heckofalot more!

Joint Commision... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Then if there are all these reports with all these errors, why isn't the Joint Commission taking more of a stance on this???

Wonder what their opinion of all this is?

There is a clinic in my hometown that uses VR, they have NO editors - VR reports are placed on the chart as is... regardless of errors...

Please tell that to QA next time I accidentally forget - to capitalize a med, or omit a comma!

[ In Reply To ..]
To hear them rant about an honest mistake, you'd think I had walked into the hospital and injected a misdosed medication personally.

well QAs tend to take themselves - way too seriously nm

[ In Reply To ..]
as we all know.

Errors - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I was working for a service and typing overflow on another account they assigned me when I noticed the ortho report for a practice in Nevada and a cardiology letterhead for a practice in Maine. I flagged it and stated something about the template that had came down to use on the platform. At first they were yelling at me that I used the incorrect template, and then realized after almost 2 years that they had in fact loaded the incorrect template! You would think after all those years, the clients would have said something!

Similar Messages:

1 Point Errors, Critical Errors.
Dec 08, 2012

I get dinged for leaving out words like the, and others.  I am now understanding that this is not the correct policy, that others are not getting critical error, major error, off one point for this.  So, am I being singled out? Because I thought this was the norm.  I'd like to know so that while I am hanging on every word and will continue to do so, I thought I was not the only one with this...thanks in advance for the update.  ...

Typical VR Error - Funny And Also Not Funny
Oct 20, 2013

If you have any questions, please hesitate to contact us. (obviously should be -- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.) ...

Oh No, NOT The New Residents!!!!
Sep 11, 2012

Gotta love these new residents....I just got one who meant to say "hemotympanum" but pronounced it "hemum-ty-pure-um." I mean, I know they are new and all, but isn't medical terminology one of the first courses they took in college. It wasn't that long ago! Jeesh! ...

Residents Using Big Words
Jul 25, 2012

I am doing a Neurosurgery OR where they are doing a laminectomy with screw placement in C3 to C6. The resident just said "Due to obfuscation by the shoulder the x-ray was oblicklafied (sp?) Maybe he means oblique x-ray but just made up a new word like obliquelified? ...

Is It Just Me, Or Do The New Residents Seem More Airheaded?
Aug 12, 2012

It seems that each year's batch of residents/students are a little bit more clueless than the previous year's.  I just find myself facepalming or giving my monitor that "are you kidding me" look more often.  Maybe I'm just getting old.  Although I do try to avoid any important exams or surgeries this time of year if I can help it. ...

California Residents?
Apr 02, 2015

I am just curious how many other MTs are in California.  We may need to join forces.  ...

Residents Make Me Crazy!
Nov 02, 2010

Quote (sort of)  "This is Dr. Mumblemouth dictating an office visit on patient Sick Person, with Dr. Attending in the Lymphona Clinic.  This letter is addressed to ..." He puts this in as a completely different type of letter, then says it's an office visit, and then says it's Lymphoma clinic and THEN says this letter is addressed to.   This particular idiot resident also stumbles over himself and starts and stops so much that for every 100 lines I actually get cr ...

Wow, I Have No Patience For Interns/NP/residents Today
Dec 10, 2010

Usually I can handle all of their mistakes and quirks and just plain pointless and unnecessary babbling, but today it's been getting to me.  I swear, the way the mispronounce everything (pharnyx) and butcher meds and big words is driving me nuts.  ...

As A Diabetic, Some Of These Residents/interns Are Scary
Oct 18, 2011

Just had one dictate that this teenager took:  Insulin 300-unit meal bolus plus 1 unit per 15 g carbs.  Considering 300 units is a whole vial, that could be deadly.  Looking back at old records it was supposed to be:  Insulin 300 units/3 mL.  Meal bolus: 1 unit per 15 g carbs. ...

Inscribe NOT Accepting Apps From CA Residents?
Aug 29, 2012

I went to apply with Inscribe and they have this posted: At present, InScribe is unable to accept applications from any resident of the State of California. I live in CA...I knew we were an odd bunch but I didn't know we were unemployable. If anyone knows can you please tell me WHY I can't work for them? Thank you! ...

I Wonder If Residents Think It Makes Them Sound More Intelligent
Jun 24, 2013

to spit out words at 90 miles an hour?  I wish they knew how ridiculous they sound.  Of course, this goes for some physicians who are way past residency, too.  What a morning.  This job is beginning to get on my last nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Residents Skip Lectures To Chart
Oct 16, 2013

"Maisara Rahman, MD, who helps train family-medicine residents at a county hospital in Moreno Valley, California, noticed a while back that attendance at her lectures was falling off sharply. Dr. Rahman hadn't become boring all of a sudden. Other faculty members were noticing a lot of empty seats during their talks as well. Had the family medicine residents caught a slacker virus? No, it turns out that they were skipping lectures, lunches, and even an occasional rotation, said Dr. Rah ...

Free Coding Training For Vermont Residents
Jan 17, 2015

See the link below for an article in Health Data Management about free coding training in Vermont.   I don't know anything else about it, or how to contact them or apply, and I have no opinion on whether the program, the company involved, or the associated job offer are good, morally upstanding, free-range vegans, or potentially associated with off-planetizing to venusians in 2243.   I do think anything free is worth trying.  You have nothing to lose.       ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

QA Errors
Oct 30, 2014

What do I do if QA marks me for a major error but I think they made a mistake? The really wierd part is that the feedback page says it was NOT modified. Seems so strange to me that QA wouldn't modify a report with a major error.  ...

So Funny!
Nov 22, 2009

I was just trying to get into MQ Central, and I was having problems, and I immediately thought, uh oh, here go the layoffs!  I mean immediately!  I tried again and was able to finally get in, but it was just so crazy.  I hope I get another job soon, I can't live like this.  Damn you Q!! ...

Any Other MDI Think It Is Funny That We Have Not
Jan 31, 2010

Anyone other MDIer think it is funny that we have not heard one word from Dorothy, not even a good luck, nothing.  She took the money and ran.  She does not give a crap about all of us. ...

ASR Funny For The Day
Mar 30, 2010

"The patient states that he also has a bowel in his toneails." Suppose to be "...a pull of his toenails" (explained later as pulling sensation because of thick toenails).    ...

Funny ASR.....(sm)
Jul 14, 2010

I thought we all need a laugh.  I was typing the other night and it was supposed to say "the patient had internal hemorrhoids," but typed the patient had "mental hemorrhoids."  I about fell out of my chair laughing.  Very fittiing though because I think MQ gives a lot of us "mental hemorrhoids."  ...

MT AD, Funny
Oct 19, 2010

Just had to share this.  An ad on the local radio inviting "everyone" to a seminar to become a "medical transcriptionist.  Earn more money working at home than in an office."  I laughed.  I would definitely have gone, but unfortunately it is at least 1-2 hours away on a working night.  How I wish it was closer.  I would have love to have gone and given them an earful.  I want to know where those jobs are because I'll go find one.  Alas, it is not mean ...

Too Funny
Nov 08, 2010

SKULL SERIES:    REASON FOR EXAM:  The patient wants his skull checked for wires that he thinks aliens might have implanted.    Beam me up Scotty!!!! ...

MT Funny
Dec 30, 2010

On a lot of MTSO web sites there is a picture of a happy smiling MT with perfect hair and makeup wearing a headset with a mouthpiece to speak into.  I wonder who are they talking to?  LOL! ...

WMX--it Seems Awfully Funny To Me That As Soon As (sm)
Mar 21, 2011

these new changes with account managers happened, the work has totally dried up (I have not been out of work for a very long time and have had much OT). Can you say offshore? I thought you could. Will have to keep an eye on Webquist. ...

My Funny Of The Day
Dec 20, 2011

My hand has been hurting for a couple of days.  So I'm laying there with my boyfriend and he's rubbing it, and he says in a serious voice........ DO YOU TYPE WITH BOTH HANDS???? I LAUGHED FOR 20 MINUTES....... I finally said, "No, I'm left-handed".......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Bless his heart........He was seriously getting ready to diagnose some stuff guys!  Enjoy your day MTStars.......   ...

ASR Not So Funny
Jan 26, 2012

It just referred to the patient as Ms. Toilet.  I suppose it could be true, but we really have to check things closely.  ...

QA Funny
Jul 22, 2013

too funny not to share. dicatator was talking about beach. I transcribed water pail only to have it changed to water pale.  HMMMMM. I am noticing a lot of crazy errors by QA lately.   ...

My TSM (PM?) Is So Funny - Sm
Aug 29, 2013

Whatever she's called.  I never talk to her on the phone because she is much more interested in what her kids and dogs are doing than what I have to say.  She changed my schedule by phone one day, and then called me the day after I was off to find out why I hadn't worked the day before.  I went part time and sent her an email with the request, worked the new schedule for over a week before she called me to say she had to evaluate my request for schedule change.  Tol ...

Just A Little Funny
Mar 21, 2014

I was looking at glassdoor, where you can see reviews of different companies.  I was looking to see if there were any reviews on M*Modal.  AND there are.  The majority are bad -- really bad.  What I find funny is that even Indian employees are complaining about them.  One of them wrote "Joining here is like you are committing a suicide".  So, how bad does a company have to be that even people in India think it is horrible? ...

Funny To Me
Jun 10, 2014

It's funny how every Friday we get emails "SOS, accounts out of TAT."  You already take 1 of my weekend days, you will never get the other.  ...

Funny One
Jul 13, 2014

I got a genuine blooper today.  Made me giggle.  ESL trying to be helpful and dictated, "BNP, that's B like boy, N like Nancy, and P like appetite."   He gets a "A" for effort...this time.     ...