A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am SO curious! - 16TRANSCRIBER

Posted: Mar 26, 2014

Our hospital just went with M*Modal.  We are getting laid off in a couple of months. I am curious to know the answer to this question.  We have three doctors that stand out way ahead of the rest of our doctors with their HORRIBLE dictation.  I MEAN HORRIBLE! However, I have no problem doing the dictation only b/c I have done their work for almost 17 years.  How many transcriptionists or editors or whatever will those particular reports go through when sent to M*Modal before they get sent back to the hospital/physician?  What happens if their is no way M*Modal can understand them? Does anything ever get sent back to physician when a ton of blanks? 

there are horrible dictators on every account - we have normals we pull from in

[ In Reply To ..]
fluency. No big deal.

forgot to mention - 16TRANSCRIBER

[ In Reply To ..]
I forgot to mention one thing. These three doctors do/did not qualify for VR. The software blew up! Ha ha, no seriously it could not understand them. Our VR is pretty good, too. They were the only three that could not qualify. They tried for a couple of years, too. Okay, you all answered my questions. Thank you!

did you have an option to come over to MModal? - curious too

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oh ALL THE TIME - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an MME which means we're the "final stop" and we get the worst of the worst. I have to sometimes give credit to some of the MTs who get the reports before us because when I listen to them, I'm not sure I could've ever done such a great job on what comes across my desk.

Having said that, if a report with a ton of blanks comes across our desk and we can't fill them all in, yes they then go back to the client, and yes sometimes they still look like swiss cheese reports - thousands of holes (blanks) in them.

Being as very few of us have "primary" accounts anymore, those reports can originally be attempted by any number of people - dozens? Most of which might be coming across those doctors for the very first time.

Eventually, if a doctor is bad enough, there are sometimes "coaching sessions" with him/her from the company that essentially give tips for better/clearer dictation. Then, if none of those work then the last request is usually that the doctor have a PA or someone with a clearer speaking style to take over the dictating responsibilities.

Before anything gets resolved though, tons of reports do go through with either incorrect/misunderstood text, or full of blanks.

All the time - RIMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your compliment! It's so nice to hear someone give us credit for trying our best to understand these miserable dictators. It just takes so long for them to get to the point where they actually tell the dictators how bad they are.

Answers to your questions - howdy

[ In Reply To ..]
"How many transcriptionists or editors or whatever will those particular reports go through when sent to M*Modal before they get sent back to the hospital/physician?"
It depends on if the job stays in the US or goes global. If it stays in the US, 1-3 people will get it, depending on if it gets sent to QA or chosen to be reviewed for an audit. If it goes global, several of M*Modal's finest global employee's will do a poor job of handling it.

"What happens if their is no way M*Modal can understand them?"
Someone will eventually be able to understand them. You eventually did, right?

"Does anything ever get sent back to physician when a ton of blanks?"
Yes; daily, several times a day possibly. Crap in, crap out.

blanks in reports - 16TRANSCRIBER

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I eventually understood them b/c they hand-picked me to only do their work b/c no one else could understand them. Even after working with the same transcriptionists for 17 years, they cannot understand these three particular doctors. These three doctors do not finish their sentences, make up words. Their mistakes are not consistent. They don't have templates, they just talk. I am not trying to say you would not be able to understand them or say you cannot do it, it is just from what I gather no one get to keep an account for long at M*Modal. I was just curious b/c I really hate that fact for these doctors b/c we are friends. And as far as someone training them, that makes me laugh. They are so hard headed. They don't train. Been there and done that. Thanks for the input. And, yes we were asked...no more like begged to apply for M*Modal 2 or 3 times. No takers yet simply by what we have read on MTStars.

If they're that bad, I'll probably get them ;) I seem to specialize - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in the worst of the worst. No worries, we'll get them figured out! At this company, we've been switched around to so many different accounts so often that we're pretty good at quickly figuring out even the most difficult ones IMHO.

Not all of us have had a bad experience with M2 - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I love this company. I was only making $8/hour at the hospital plus a 25 cent raise yearly when I came over 11 years ago. Now I make much more than that and have been blessed with this coding program opportunity. Enjoy your UE for a while and give it some thought. I promise it's not all bad or they wouldn't have so many employees.
They used to have a lot more employees - before they
[ In Reply To ..]
screwed us on our pay ($25 an hour down to $12) and choked off our bonuses, shift differential, raised the quality standards, ad nauseam. We had like, what 11,000 MTs down to (last time I heard) 4000 or so.
It's the coding program, it created 60 cheerleaders. - Probably get bonus for posting happy grams.
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean this to be derogatory but it certainly seems there are a lot more Stepford's out there than there were.

This blessed coding program hasn't even started yet, let's see how "blessed" it is in 6 months. This company is headed down. That bounced payroll check is more indicative of where things are going than this suspiciously timed "coding program."
That remains to be seen... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
M*Modal never intentionally did anything nice for anybody, it will be interesting to see how loud they are cheering as events unfold
Yay MModal!!! - I promise I will cheer loud and proud.
[ In Reply To ..]
Now give me my bonus!
I know we aren't supposed to talk about the coding - program but did you see
[ In Reply To ..]
over on the coding board that MM is NOT going to provide coding manuals to the trainees until they are "real" coders?

They have to use eBooks or buy their own.

Tells you how much confidence MM has in them passing, they won't even invest in books. Gives credibility to the people saying there is a HIGH fail rate in coding programs and I bet this one has a higher than average fail rate.
weekends? - 16TRANSCRIBER
[ In Reply To ..]
Is it true that you have to work a Sat. or Sun. EVERY week with M*Modal? I've been rotating weekends for 24 years. If this is my time to look for another job, I am really going to try to find something Mon. - Fri. How come in their ads they say your shift starts at noon in your time zone? Does it really? Yuck.
Answers to your questions, part 3 - howdy
[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the people I know that work here have a Tuesday-Saturday or Sunday-Thursday schedule. This can vary greatly per account/book of business. I personally have a great TSM (supervisor) who is very willing to work with us on our schedules. Never hurts to ask for an every-other-weekend schedule.

As for starting at noon, I can only speak for myself when I say I start well before noon in my time zone. In fact, I start at 6 a.m. in my time zone. Once again, that will vary by account/book of business. We all have different schedules.
It seems most new hires are required to work - evenings and 1 weekend day.
[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I don't mind evenings, I get 6 hours of shift differential, which makes a difference. I also suspect we run out of work less often than the "day shift" people.

I know at Nuance most everybody works days, since they do a "follow the sun" approach and don't want to pay shift differential.

I work Mon-Fri. It depends on what you negotiate upon hire. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
And dont forget every single holiday - Work those, too!
[ In Reply To ..]
If a holiday falls on your day to work, you have to work, holiday or not. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a TSM who will let you off, but you have to use your PTO or make up the time. Get ready for shell-shock.
M-F, 7-3 - CT
[ In Reply To ..]
The only change I've had in my schedule, though I'm on my third team in four years, has been moving up my start time a couple of hours from 10. Weekends are family time and evenings are for classes.
WORK WHEN THEY WANT YOU - Diane King
[ In Reply To ..]
You work when they want you to, and it is supposed to include ONE weekend day. By the time it was over for me, I was working both weekend days because they 'needed' me even though I'd run out!
Culling the Group - Diane King
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, it's working, but there is still the whining about not enough people working to handle the TAT.
Culling the Group - Diane King
[ In Reply To ..]
If they are 'gunning for you', no error is too small, and any that contribute to the lower than 99.7% level will place you in QUALITY IMPROVEMENT program, which is the euphemism which means 8 total audits of less than consistent scores AND THEY HAVE CAUSE TO TERMINATE... likely also cause so they don't have to pay unemp benefits!

Answers to your questions, part 2 - howdy

[ In Reply To ..]
It might be a rough transition for your difficult dictators for a while, having new MTs and MMEs trying to figure out what they are saying. Eventually, things will work out. I have plenty of dictators that make up words, don't finish sentences, are terribly inconsistent on a daily basis. It'll work out.

As for "what we have read on MTStars," please take what you read on this M*Modal board with a grain of salt! There are things to not like about M*Modal, yes. I'm not going to argue about that. However, there are a lot of pessimistic attitudes here on this board, and not everyone that works at M*Modal shares their experiences or opinions. I make a good living here at M*Modal (average of at least $15/hour). It is possible. I have good quality at M*Modal. It is possible.

I'm not management, a troll, or any other word that has been used to describe someone with positive words to say about this company. I make decent money and have decent quality because I come to work with a decent attitude. I also stand up for myself and challenge my audits if need be. Auditors can make mistakes just as much as I can. It's all in the attitude, I believe.

When had 3 like that when we came here - Horrible dictators

[ In Reply To ..]
It was THEIR choice to come to M*Modal. We had 3 who are the worst of the worst. Will not even complete certain sentences, they want you to do it for them.

Unless they submitted a "normal" or template to M*Modal, they are going to have to dictate. Mine have gone through 4 people before going back with blanks on them. These 3 guys used to have their own MTs, as no one else could do their work. They fired them. Now I am stuck with them. Yes, plenty of blanks go on their reports, and I mean plenty. They have complained about it, but management says if they get enough reports with blanks on them, eventually they may learn to dictate. Again, this was THEIR choice. They can complain all they want, but if 4 people, and even their own staff, cannot understand them, THEY are the danger to patient care. No one gets special treatment in these cases.

Tier 3 and MMEs will likely get them, and yes there - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
will be a lot of blanks briefly until they can figure them out & get some samples built up. After that, no problem. I can assure you, we have a ton of horrible dictators already so it's nothing new!

Even if you come over to MM, you probably - wont type your old docs

[ In Reply To ..]
anyway...at least not after a couple of weeks.

Not necessarily. We were bought out a year - ago and still on our accounts. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

We were acquired a couple of years ago, stayed on accounts for maybe - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a month or so, then they spread them out to the other BOBs. We were told we'd all stay on the same team, keep our same supers from our old company as CCM and QC, etc., but none of that happened. Just my experience.
Yup, me too - MarineMom
[ In Reply To ..]
Yup, we were bought out by MModal too, and I stayed on my same account for a few months, and then I'm assuming they shipped my account overseas. Had been on that account the whole 8 years I had been with Spheris, and then suddenly it was gone...don't even work for MModal anymore...

I AM SO CURIOUS -16TRANSCRIBER - Diane King

[ In Reply To ..]
YEP!!!! Makes the docs angry but it usually comes down to the problem falls back on the MT, regardless how bad or how many times the hospital is encouraged to instruct the MD. IT WILL ALWAYS BE THE MT's fault!

Similar Messages:

Just Curious, Did Anyone At DTS
Dec 29, 2009

Did any DTS employees get a Christmas gift, bonus or even a card this year?  (obviously I didn't) ...

Just Curious....how Many Of You
Jan 18, 2010

would actually like working over-time on an every single week basis, not just occasionally, but EVER SINGLE WEEK, cutting into your life and trying to plan things around this extra work.  I wouldnt mind once in awhile, but weekly mandatory is killing me.  Opinions welcome! ...

Curious To Know What Others Are Using For
Sep 10, 2010

internet search engine. I have found that Google is causing serious slow down of the computer since upgrading to 6.1 and wondering if this could be the culprit of the problems with 6.1 as when I switched from Google to other search engines I am not having the slow DQS 6.1 problem. Support suggested this when they tried to fix the problems I was having.  I want to know what others have found to be a good search engine for MT other than Google. I don't know why Google would have any ...

MQ CURIOUS
Jan 17, 2011

With FTR still in play and all the other requirements made of us highly-paid MTs, when ASR 4 cpl goes into effect in February, does that mean 3 cpl would still be deducted if our "performance" had to be improved?  Would that mean 1 cpl or, as an example, if an MT produced 1000 ASR lines in one day, would that MT make $10 for a day's work?  TIA ...

I'm Curious About Something - Sm
Feb 20, 2011

Everytime I post a question asking about OSi/Nuance I don't get any answers.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks for your help. ...

Curious About UE
Jul 13, 2011

I have always worked as an employee and about a month ago went to work as an IC, however, the company has now gone under and was wondering since I was an IC at the time, does that mean I cannot get unemployment or can I qualify because I worked as an employee up until a month ago?  Thanks for any advice. ...

Just Curious, How Many Are Doing The F11
Sep 01, 2011

on every ASR report today? ...

Just Curious To Know
Nov 09, 2011

If you had access to an education in any field of your choice and wanted to completely leave transcription, what field would you choose?  (This is not a trick question, just something I have wondered about.  Me, I would choose engineering.) ...

Curious To Know
Jan 05, 2012

Are there any Andrews MT grads out there who cannot land a job, feel unprepared for work, or hate MT?   ...

Just Curious--how Did We All Get Here?
Feb 01, 2012

I had never even heard of medical transcription until 4 years ago when I was invited to a "graduation party" by a friend who had finished her online MT course. How did everyone else get started in this business, both vets and newbies? What was it like before telecommuting opened this field up to so many people? ...

Just Curious - What Are You Doing To Get Yourself
May 30, 2012

x ...

Really Curious
Jun 13, 2012

Are so many of you intent on being miserable that those of us who are not miserable and who are actually doing well are called liars? Why are we "rubbing it in" when we share that there are good gigs out there, that we have one and that we are doing well and yet when you are all spreading your misery, hate, and discontent you're "just telling the truth?" If you're working for a company that pays crap, is it then the company's fault or yours that you don't have a better job? ...

Curious About Something...
Aug 07, 2012

I know why I've been an MT for so long.  I've had long periods in and out of the industry.  I'm on my way out for the final time now.  I've been interviewing and it looks good. My question is this.  Why are YOU an MT?  What is keeping you from getting a good job that pays you what you deserve instead of servant wages?  What is holding you back from your self-respect? With me, it's my bad temperament and my general dislike of people.   ...

OTI- I'm Just Curious And Would Like To Know If Anyone Else At OTI
Feb 25, 2013

gets the feeling they are trying to get you to quit.  ...

Curious About Something
May 22, 2013

When I was hired to this field a million years ago,,,there was flexibility and no vacation days. To me it was a trade off. Now, I have vacation days and the pay is lowered, so I can't afford to go anywhere. Are people willing to say, hey, I'll trade paid vacation for flexibility and better pay? ...

Curious About Something,,,again
May 28, 2013

As I just got of a dictation with variable volumes and of course the eventual hang up with the loud dial tone, seems to me we could make a real good case for a worker's comp hearing loss problem. Not so much to collect now but to make an argument that they need to fix the volume on the system and maybe actually train the doctors to dictate correctly or be liable for lawsuits before we all go deaf. Too late for me, the ringing is staggering at this point. Thoughts anyone ...

Curious About EMR
Nov 26, 2013

Can anyone who has done EMR records tell me, is it that much different than transcribing a document?  The ads that I see where they are hiring for EMR usually want experienced, but doesnt the experience just have to do with learning the platform?  I would love to learn to do EMR, thats why I'm asking.  I'm very experienced in transcription, been a QA for 9 years even, so the transcription part is no concern for me, I'm thinking it is just learning the system, am I r ...

I Am Curious About Something. Why Would One
May 31, 2014

"friend" tell another their place of employment was great more than likely knowing that when the friend finds out, they will know it is not great.  I can only think of a referral bonus, but I did not think those were given anymore. ...

Curious If RW/JR Still Here?
Mar 21, 2015

Can anybody tell me if RW n JR still here? ...

Just Curious
Jun 01, 2015

Question for QC friends.   Have you resigned yet? I have.  ...

Is Anyone Happy At MQ, Wow. Just Curious
Nov 10, 2009

Been an MT for 12 or so years and I realize what everyone is going through.  Yes line counts are bad, money is bad, but I think every company is the same.  I have been through so many myself.  But we all have a job and that is good right now.  I just want to hear something good about MQ is there anything anyone can tell me. ...

Curious About Pay Structures
Dec 30, 2009

I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years and on my current account for almost 2.  Recently a LOT of changes have happened at the acct. manager level, and everybody is looking to me for help getting things under control and have also started asking me to do QA.  However, I still get paid to type by the line and a flat rate per report QA'ed.  I find I can't make ANY money doing QA since its a flat rate and I don't get paid at all to help people answer questions.&nb ...

Curious - Have Questions
Feb 10, 2010

I have a few questions about VR. Does the dictation translated by VR need limits on how fast the dictation is spoken, or can the audio be slowed down to accomodate? On what sort of dictation will VR not work? If you use VR presently, do you feel you could transcribe and proof faster uisng straight transcription instead? If you have experience with VR, how confident are you that VR will eventually be used for all medical dictation? I find it interesting that VR is pushed so much more in our ...

Curious. Those With No Work....
Aug 11, 2010

I see MQ'ers here complaining a lot about having no work and even asking if they can get unemployment. I'm curious why you don't go to another company when you have no work, or go to another company rather than try to get unemployment? Why stay with a company you obviously hate so much? ...

Anyone Know Anything About ProScript? Just Curious
Sep 08, 2010

I haven't heard much about them. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

So, Ok, Starting A New Job And Curious To Know,
Apr 26, 2012

or just that of a few companies out on an anallimb, because after many years in the buisness, this the first time it was asked of me -- to get my IDs witnessed and notarized.  Just wondering what's up with that?  Overprotective or wave of the future?   ...

Just A Curious Thing...
Jul 26, 2012

Okay, I'm sure this is just a telemarketing coincidence of some sort, even though I'm also on the do-not-call list; however, last night I arrived home to find a message from JP Morgan (so said my caller ID anyway) something about some important information, and to please call them back at a number they left and refer to number "tree, tree, tree" something or other.  The person is such a heavy (female) ESL that I can barely decipher ANYTHING being said.  Sure, I'm gonna g ...

Curious Question
Aug 08, 2012

I have kind of a silly question I can't seme to find the answer to. I need to know how to add a note to the dr on a transcription. Is it as simple as just sticking a post it on the report? ...

I Am Curious If Anyone Who Has Asked Has Ever
Sep 02, 2012

received a response as to why they were not given a job or even given the chance to test.  I never have.  ...