A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just curious--how did we all get here? - Nik

Posted: Feb 01, 2012

I had never even heard of medical transcription until 4 years ago when I was invited to a "graduation party" by a friend who had finished her online MT course. How did everyone else get started in this business, both vets and newbies? What was it like before telecommuting opened this field up to so many people?

How I got here - sm - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been in MT a long time. I fell into it in my 20s, after bouncing around unsuccessfully from job to job working in business offices. This was mainly because of 2 factors - boredom on the job, and cutthroat office politics.

A friend had also "fallen into" MT - she worked as a receptionist in a radiology department, and one day the MT there (called a "medical secretary" back then) was swamped and asked my friend if she could help her out by trying to do some x-ray transcription. She learned on the job, caught on fast, and later, when I was once again between jobs, suggested it to me.

I took a night school MT course, and was hired by a small MT service before I'd even graduated. I really enjoyed transcription. I like words, I like typing, and I liked dealing with recordings instead of the doctors themselves.

My first job was using a Correcting Selectric typewriter, soon thereafter replaced by a Mag Card. I loved the Mag Card, because you could put all your normals on cards, and thus your memory capacity was limitless. Later, at other jobs, when we once again switched to IBM Memory Typewriters, it wasn't as good because your memory was very limited. Later, at one of the services I worked for, I was introduced to computer transcription on the Lexitron. By today's standards it would seem a bit slow, but back then it was the Cadillac of word-processing systems.

I did a bit more job-hopping, mainly to escape non-paying or nasty-tempered bosses, but eventually settled down in an inhouse hospital/clinic setting. There, I was back on the Correcting Selectric again. But that was okay - I had my very own office again, just like I'd had at my first job! Over the years, we went through a lot of different setups... an IBM PC with printer (got noisy when everyone in the office had their own separate printer). Later, we had a central printer that we all printed off of. And finally, the printers were moved to the main hospital building (we were offsite in a separate building at that point). And now, of course, the reports aren't printed, they go directly into the EMR.

We had lots of different word-processing software.... IBM, Wang, Word Perfect, and then Microsoft Word.

I've stayed with MT a long time because for most of my years in it, it was a comfortable living, and a recession-proof job. I rode out many recessions in MT with job security, while my more highly-educated friends kept losing jobs and having to go back to school to reinvent themselves. I felt pretty smug about my choice to become an MT until the turn of this century, when things took a pretty drastic turn for the worse, and it hasn't let up. Even though I produce far more than I used to, with the wage cuts and line-cheating that goes on in this business, I've seen my income go from $48,000 in around 2000-2001, to a mere $18,000 this past year.

Now I'm not feeling so smug about being an MT anymore. :(

I had about the same experience. - MT26 years

[ In Reply To ..]
Got out of college, worked in the business world, made high teens in NYC. This was 26 years ago. Decided to get out of the city and moved to suburbs. Did temp jobs and learned on the job medical terminology. Decided to try an agency before it became an at home career. Then they started to send us home. Worked Meditech and regular word perfect through the phone lines. Gradually worked up to 50K a year and more. Moved south, cost of living cheaper, and got a job at a huge hospital system. Stayed there 7 years and worked really hard and still made 60K in a place where cost of living was low. That was around the year 2000. Suddenly the next 5 years we were threatened that voice recog. would be on the way. We did not believe it. We were warned to live below our means. Did not listen. Got a fancy car, continued with fancy trips. Had a child. Then 2005 hit and all of a sudden out of the hospital job (told to send kids to daycare, I work at home, I wanted to take care of my kids and work that is why I had this job!) Long story longer, went to work for MTSOs and the last 6 years has been hell in a hand basket. Watched 52K go down to 25K. Then, suddenly ESR, VR editing was the norm in the last 2 years and went BROKE! Got divorced (husband upset could no longer bring money home and take care of kids), lost everything literally. Just shy of staying in a hotel. Went back to school and could not do job and MT, got evicted. Finally, after a long hard battle back, made 9,000.00 last year, lived on that and student loans. Lost custody of child because of poverty. Living on food stamps, help from Salvation Army, and working 3 MT jobs scraping by still going to school for Masters. If you know me you know every single word is true. Recently tried to go back to full time MT and school, but did not get paid for new job and almost lost apartment again. The cycle continued and it has to stop. I am not alone. I know I am not. Why did we let it get this far? Why in the world do intelligent people like us lose everything for our career? (rhetorical). Thanks for listening to my epic. Here, hanging on by a thread, but still hanging on...

I feel for you. - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
I have gone through changes too -- maybe not as drastic as yours, but I know exactly what you are talking about. MT work is no longer a good choice to make money, as most of the MT's now are barely making it or not making it at all. Seems like the MTSO's would care just a little, but No I don't think they care at all. Very greedy people in a greedy world. We are now the lower class living in poverty and on food stamps, like you said. Things have to change, but I don't know how or when.

It breaks your heart to hear these stories.

Court reporter turned MT 20 years ago. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I got tired of dealing with all the politics of court reporting and joined a temp agency. The first job they sent me on was a medical transcription job in house at a hospital. They offered me a full-time position, I took it and have been an MT ever since. I used to love this job. I too am experiencing the loss of income from recent changes. I still love being able to fill my time with work that really keeps me busy (the main reason I love it, cannot stand to have even a few minutes of time with nothing to do). I love the challenge but hate the perks right now.

Lost hope of getting another MT job. - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I relate to the above post. I have no work now and am very very depressed along with being very scared of not getting another position someplace. I've been at it for 30 years. I didn't want to retire for a long time but maybe I'm being forced to now and only have limited savings and no pension. I applied for two jobs that fit my skills last week and no response and it was on MTjobs. My spciality is ortho and the one looked liked it was screaming for ortho but nothing from them. I am very down at this point. I had an interview here in town with a storage place for office work and was passed over. It really involved MS Word something I could have easily done too. Not too optimistic anymore.

Very sad for you. - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
Where is your family -- children??? Would they be willing to help you as far as food and shelter until you get on your feet? It is rough out there, trying to survive. Surely you have some family that could give you some assistance. Good luck in the meantime. I will pray for you and all the other MT's who are struggling to make it.
Never burden my family - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I'd never be a burden to my family. They don't deserve it. It's not my fault I don't have a job. There just aren't any jobs left at least not one for me.
Me either. I am lucky enough to be able to collect - Social Security of $1200 a month. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
l
P.S. and I am also on food stamps and fuel assistance. nm - Very sad MT
[ In Reply To ..]

I still love it after 24 years - anonyn

[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to school (business school) for medical assistant when my last child went to kindergarten in 1987. We also had transcription and computer classes. We went on a field trip to the local VA Hospital and went through the transcription department and I told them then that was what I wanted to do. After a few different hospitals in the transcription departments, I ended up back at that VA transcribing. They went to VR so I had to find something else. So, I have tried a few different companies but have been with one for 7 years now and looks fair, but the VR is irritating. I know it will be gone one day, but it was fun while it lasted. Hopefully, I can hang in there for another 11 years so I can retire on social security.

I would love hospital work - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd love to work in a hospital. The lady that does the hiring here at the local hospital has expressed an interest in hiring me but they are not busy and she has had to send some MTs home early so I don't know if I will ever get the chance. It make me feel good since I have never worked in a hospital. Medical transcription has been my whole life for 30 years. In the absence of work, I decided to try to improve myself and bought some reference books I didn't have in the hopes of getting that job if it becomes available again. I really want to work but don't want to work for a MTSO as I did it for three years and was miserable everyday I worked there.

So bizarre how this profession has changed - Nik

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember thinking if I could make $35,000 I do cartwheels down the street, and then I heard from retired MTs who said they had made $50,000 plus so then I was REALLY happy. It seems like the drop in pay has happened everywhere, and it's terrible that people who used to make a good living are really struggling. My own situation is bad enough, and I'm still irked at my instructors who said I could make A LOT of money though I suppose they were basing it on their own MT experience.

My story - SpringChicken

[ In Reply To ..]
I held a different medical career for 13+ years and was just getting fed up. Things would not have been so bad if I had not worked nights for so long with co-workers who spent the shift yakking on the phone with their boyfriends, surfing the net, and flipping through magazines. Not even making $25/hr could give me any solace in that persistent situation. It was on one of my worst nights when John Tesh radio just happened to be playing in the background, and he said "Would you like to work alone? Would you like to work at home? Would you like to make more the harder you work? If yes, you should look into medical transcription..." We had just received accross-the-board raises of only 2%, and I was very bitter about that. So, I researched the hell out of my options and decided to go for it! I've been at it for almost 1 year and absolutely love my newfound freedom to work when I want, see the sunshine, and I gross $20-28/hr depending on my providers and the day I am having.

That said, I never thought I would give any props to John Tesh (with his weird alien keyboard music), but I am very happy now and I owe it all to that guy.

Thank you, John Tesh.

How I got here - and where I am going. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Way back in the 70's as an RN and a single mom with a new baby I needed to find a way to earn some money and saw an ad in the paper for a medical transcriptionist to work from home. I was proficient in medical terminology and could type. (thanks mom) I called for an appointment and drove to the office. I took a test without reference use, passed, and was sent home with an IBM Selectric, White-out, pages of hospital info, etc., and thus began my MT career. This was in 1974. Was it hard? Are you kidding? Imagine carbon paper and no computer/word processor.

Over the years I continued to do both nursing and medical transcription, especially loving MT after we started using word processors, then computers. I actually made more being an IC MT in the 80's than I did nursing.

In 2000, I went to work for Medquist as a Statutory MT and eventually an employee. At that time, I was appreciated for my knowledge and experience and eventually became a tier 4 MT/ME doing operative notes only.

After leaving MQ under very unpleasant circumstances in 2009 I decided to once again become an IC MT for an independent MTSO. Unwilling to accept what an independent contractor is now paid and the requirements that are expected, I opted out with great regret.

Since the 1980's nurses make more than quadruple what they made then and MTs make almost half, especially ICs.

The average going rate now for IC MTs is $0.08 per line, sometimes less! Many adhere to a strict schedule and have zero flexibility. In another world compared to just 15 years ago. In actuality, most current ICs are paid the same and treated exactly the same as employees except they pay all their own taxes and get no benefits. What?

This happening because we all have let it.

No longer an MT, now sadly retired, I have no vested future interest in medical transcription but have decided that my energies will go to rooting out all the MTSOs that are illegally hiring ICs and treating them like employees with no benefits. I will put them on notice and report to the Department of Labor and the IRS. It is only a small thing and others may have a different idea about how to go about things but this is mine.

IC and MTSOs - Good For You!

[ In Reply To ..]
I support your actions 100% in going after those MTSOs that hire ICs and treat them as employees but expect them to pay their taxes and have no benefits. They are getting away with it because we allow them to. There needs to be a shake-up in this industry and we are the ones who have to shake it up; no one else will. As long as we accept this treatment, it will continue.

Similar Messages:

Just Curious, Did Anyone At DTS
Dec 29, 2009

Did any DTS employees get a Christmas gift, bonus or even a card this year?  (obviously I didn't) ...

Just Curious....how Many Of You
Jan 18, 2010

would actually like working over-time on an every single week basis, not just occasionally, but EVER SINGLE WEEK, cutting into your life and trying to plan things around this extra work.  I wouldnt mind once in awhile, but weekly mandatory is killing me.  Opinions welcome! ...

Curious To Know What Others Are Using For
Sep 10, 2010

internet search engine. I have found that Google is causing serious slow down of the computer since upgrading to 6.1 and wondering if this could be the culprit of the problems with 6.1 as when I switched from Google to other search engines I am not having the slow DQS 6.1 problem. Support suggested this when they tried to fix the problems I was having.  I want to know what others have found to be a good search engine for MT other than Google. I don't know why Google would have any ...

MQ CURIOUS
Jan 17, 2011

With FTR still in play and all the other requirements made of us highly-paid MTs, when ASR 4 cpl goes into effect in February, does that mean 3 cpl would still be deducted if our "performance" had to be improved?  Would that mean 1 cpl or, as an example, if an MT produced 1000 ASR lines in one day, would that MT make $10 for a day's work?  TIA ...

I'm Curious About Something - Sm
Feb 20, 2011

Everytime I post a question asking about OSi/Nuance I don't get any answers.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks for your help. ...

Curious About UE
Jul 13, 2011

I have always worked as an employee and about a month ago went to work as an IC, however, the company has now gone under and was wondering since I was an IC at the time, does that mean I cannot get unemployment or can I qualify because I worked as an employee up until a month ago?  Thanks for any advice. ...

Just Curious, How Many Are Doing The F11
Sep 01, 2011

on every ASR report today? ...

Just Curious To Know
Nov 09, 2011

If you had access to an education in any field of your choice and wanted to completely leave transcription, what field would you choose?  (This is not a trick question, just something I have wondered about.  Me, I would choose engineering.) ...

Curious To Know
Jan 05, 2012

Are there any Andrews MT grads out there who cannot land a job, feel unprepared for work, or hate MT?   ...

Just Curious - What Are You Doing To Get Yourself
May 30, 2012

x ...

Really Curious
Jun 13, 2012

Are so many of you intent on being miserable that those of us who are not miserable and who are actually doing well are called liars? Why are we "rubbing it in" when we share that there are good gigs out there, that we have one and that we are doing well and yet when you are all spreading your misery, hate, and discontent you're "just telling the truth?" If you're working for a company that pays crap, is it then the company's fault or yours that you don't have a better job? ...

Curious About Something...
Aug 07, 2012

I know why I've been an MT for so long.  I've had long periods in and out of the industry.  I'm on my way out for the final time now.  I've been interviewing and it looks good. My question is this.  Why are YOU an MT?  What is keeping you from getting a good job that pays you what you deserve instead of servant wages?  What is holding you back from your self-respect? With me, it's my bad temperament and my general dislike of people.   ...

OTI- I'm Just Curious And Would Like To Know If Anyone Else At OTI
Feb 25, 2013

gets the feeling they are trying to get you to quit.  ...

Curious About Something
May 22, 2013

When I was hired to this field a million years ago,,,there was flexibility and no vacation days. To me it was a trade off. Now, I have vacation days and the pay is lowered, so I can't afford to go anywhere. Are people willing to say, hey, I'll trade paid vacation for flexibility and better pay? ...

Curious About Something,,,again
May 28, 2013

As I just got of a dictation with variable volumes and of course the eventual hang up with the loud dial tone, seems to me we could make a real good case for a worker's comp hearing loss problem. Not so much to collect now but to make an argument that they need to fix the volume on the system and maybe actually train the doctors to dictate correctly or be liable for lawsuits before we all go deaf. Too late for me, the ringing is staggering at this point. Thoughts anyone ...

Curious About EMR
Nov 26, 2013

Can anyone who has done EMR records tell me, is it that much different than transcribing a document?  The ads that I see where they are hiring for EMR usually want experienced, but doesnt the experience just have to do with learning the platform?  I would love to learn to do EMR, thats why I'm asking.  I'm very experienced in transcription, been a QA for 9 years even, so the transcription part is no concern for me, I'm thinking it is just learning the system, am I r ...

I Am SO Curious!
Mar 26, 2014

Our hospital just went with M*Modal.  We are getting laid off in a couple of months. I am curious to know the answer to this question.  We have three doctors that stand out way ahead of the rest of our doctors with their HORRIBLE dictation.  I MEAN HORRIBLE! However, I have no problem doing the dictation only b/c I have done their work for almost 17 years.  How many transcriptionists or editors or whatever will those particular reports go through when sent to M*Modal before t ...

I Am Curious About Something. Why Would One
May 31, 2014

"friend" tell another their place of employment was great more than likely knowing that when the friend finds out, they will know it is not great.  I can only think of a referral bonus, but I did not think those were given anymore. ...

Curious If RW/JR Still Here?
Mar 21, 2015

Can anybody tell me if RW n JR still here? ...

Just Curious
Jun 01, 2015

Question for QC friends.   Have you resigned yet? I have.  ...

Is Anyone Happy At MQ, Wow. Just Curious
Nov 10, 2009

Been an MT for 12 or so years and I realize what everyone is going through.  Yes line counts are bad, money is bad, but I think every company is the same.  I have been through so many myself.  But we all have a job and that is good right now.  I just want to hear something good about MQ is there anything anyone can tell me. ...

Curious About Pay Structures
Dec 30, 2009

I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years and on my current account for almost 2.  Recently a LOT of changes have happened at the acct. manager level, and everybody is looking to me for help getting things under control and have also started asking me to do QA.  However, I still get paid to type by the line and a flat rate per report QA'ed.  I find I can't make ANY money doing QA since its a flat rate and I don't get paid at all to help people answer questions.&nb ...

Curious - Have Questions
Feb 10, 2010

I have a few questions about VR. Does the dictation translated by VR need limits on how fast the dictation is spoken, or can the audio be slowed down to accomodate? On what sort of dictation will VR not work? If you use VR presently, do you feel you could transcribe and proof faster uisng straight transcription instead? If you have experience with VR, how confident are you that VR will eventually be used for all medical dictation? I find it interesting that VR is pushed so much more in our ...

Curious. Those With No Work....
Aug 11, 2010

I see MQ'ers here complaining a lot about having no work and even asking if they can get unemployment. I'm curious why you don't go to another company when you have no work, or go to another company rather than try to get unemployment? Why stay with a company you obviously hate so much? ...

Anyone Know Anything About ProScript? Just Curious
Sep 08, 2010

I haven't heard much about them. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

So, Ok, Starting A New Job And Curious To Know,
Apr 26, 2012

or just that of a few companies out on an anallimb, because after many years in the buisness, this the first time it was asked of me -- to get my IDs witnessed and notarized.  Just wondering what's up with that?  Overprotective or wave of the future?   ...

Just A Curious Thing...
Jul 26, 2012

Okay, I'm sure this is just a telemarketing coincidence of some sort, even though I'm also on the do-not-call list; however, last night I arrived home to find a message from JP Morgan (so said my caller ID anyway) something about some important information, and to please call them back at a number they left and refer to number "tree, tree, tree" something or other.  The person is such a heavy (female) ESL that I can barely decipher ANYTHING being said.  Sure, I'm gonna g ...

Curious Question
Aug 08, 2012

I have kind of a silly question I can't seme to find the answer to. I need to know how to add a note to the dr on a transcription. Is it as simple as just sticking a post it on the report? ...

I Am Curious If Anyone Who Has Asked Has Ever
Sep 02, 2012

received a response as to why they were not given a job or even given the chance to test.  I never have.  ...