A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Curious about something... - sm

Posted: Aug 07, 2012

I know why I've been an MT for so long.  I've had long periods in and out of the industry.  I'm on my way out for the final time now.  I've been interviewing and it looks good.

My question is this.  Why are YOU an MT?  What is keeping you from getting a good job that pays you what you deserve instead of servant wages?  What is holding you back from your self-respect?

With me, it's my bad temperament and my general dislike of people.  I don't play well with others, and I dread having to look at people and interact with them.

I'm biting the bullet and doing it.  I spent two hours this morning testing for an agency.

I'd love to hear what is keeping you enslaved?  Hey, me, I have 32 years in the industry so I've been enslaved to various degrees for a really long time.

What other to do - GMR

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to be at home to watch my 94-year-old dad, so transcription was the best solution at the time. Now it doesn't look so good. Only been at it for 5 years though.

Other people's schedules - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to drive my kids to school and pick them up (at different times)as there is no bussing available anymore in our school district due to budget cuts. A "real" job doesn't allow for that.

I don't like wearing "real" clothes.

Like you, I don't play well with others and I hate office politics and being forced into social situations with people I can barely stand in the office.

I like the flexibility of it. Even now I make more than I could outside the home especially when adding in clothing, gas, etc. I am not qualified to do anything that pays much over minimum and I live in SoCal where if you aren't bilingual don't even bother applying for any job and before anyone gets on my behind to learn Spanish, I don't want to hear it so don't bother.

Anyway, I figure I will ride the ship to the bottom of the ocean. I am lucky that my husband has a good job and if we cut back, when I float to the surface I can work minimum wage part time (I'm sure McDonald's can handle one English only speaker) and do retraining then.

Agree with the "learning Spanish" - mijamigramma55

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with the "learning Spanish" part of your post. I am in Miami and I guess we are supposed to be able to learn Spanish in 2 weeks in order to somehow compete with the rest of the workforce out there. I hear Rosetta Stone is not that good, and I did sign up for a free website; they suggest for beginners to start out as pen pals -- hello? There are several links to learning another language, but even doing something for ten days is NOT enough language to get you into the workforce in MAJOR Hispanic markets, like LA, Phoenix, Texas or Miami.

Curious about something - Long Timer

[ In Reply To ..]
I applaud you for making the change. I still do this, because I just like working from home. I have lots of activities that I like to do and this allows me flexibility; also I am semi-retired and try and find a job in your 60s. I have sent out a ton of resumes, and most of the time don't hear back. Also I want part time work only and the part time jobs out there pay less than being an MT. Now with that said, I would just love to a steady reliable income and I am not talking big bucks here, just livable and that is hard to do as there are so MTs out there and these companies hire everyone it seems. I also hate voice rec and try to avoid it if at all possible. I have managed to dodge the bullet on that one, but I am looking for a secondary account and I may have to do it. I think everyone has a different reason; it doesn't matter. I can still do this work and do okay at it, but not great. I also don't for a brow beating company, but I have in the past; Spheris and MQ. Those jobs I did quit. I keep saying I need to buy more lotto tickets, this working is for the birds and actually I am rather tired of it, but need to make something!

I dont know if you are speaking to a certain group or - if you are speaking to ALL MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
Since you did not specify, I will answer.

You said: "Why are YOU an MT? What is keeping you from getting a good job that pays you what you deserve instead of servant wages? What is holding you back from your self-respect?"

#1. I am an MT because I choose to be and have made good money at it for years and I like what I do.
#2. I DONT make servant wages. Despite popular belief, some of us still do quite well. I have a great job being paid what I deserve because I WILL NOT settle for anything less.
#3. Nothing is holding me back from self-respect, I have an abundance of it which is why I do not and will not work for 4cpl.

I will continue on working until my well runs dry and when that day comes, I'll know my time has come to move on. But until then I say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

It is "broke" though. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Those great jobs are becoming fewer and fewer (I know from experience, I just lost my great MT job this spring).

I now work for one of the Evil Twins for the cringeworthy rate of 4 cpl. I must say, however, that I find your post to be slightly arrogant and derogatory to those of us who are in that situation. It isn't that you are better than we are, just luckier.

I think this board has gotten pretty harsh towards the MT. Yes you hack on the companies but in the end it always comes back to -- how could you have so much self-loathing as to lower yourself to work for these wages -- You act like we are street walkers. A lot of us still do okay even with that cruddy 4 cpl because we have years of experience and are simply good at what we do.

So how about all of you who are getting out (good for you) and all of you who still have a sweet well paying MT job, just stop making such demeaning statements to the rest of us.

Ring-a-ding-ding.

Please forgive my ignorance. It was unintentional. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 32 years in the field as an MT, QA, MME, MTSO owner. I didn't mean to be rude or arrogant. I personally find my situation of .03 per line to QA with 32 years experience demeaning. I'm glad others are comfortable with it. I wish you all well. Was just trying to share.
I doubt you are the poster I was talking to - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I was talking to the lady who said she was doing well and wouldn't lower herself to work for 4 cpl.

Pretty sure that wasn't you.

It is only "demeaning if you take it personal." One thing - that gets me about this board is

[ In Reply To ..]
People seem to *internalize* these posts. This is an anonymous board why would you assume I am talking directly to you or anyone else in particular? I dont know you.

The way I see it is when a person is so quick to jump to offense and accuse others of insulting them *when obviously on an anomymous board you have no idea whose out there or whose reading* - It leads me to believe there is a self-esteem issue somewhere. Anytime you assume someone is speaking directly to you.

I dont know you and I dont know what you make. All I know is me. The OP did not specify whether or not she was referring to MTs who are still doing well or whether or not she was referring to MTs who dont have it so well. So I answered and I dont see anything arrogant about my post.

If anything I found her post a bit insulting because she lumped everyone into one category, as though everyones situation was the same as hers.

Of course it always takes just one poster to spark a flame and a couple others to chime in and throw fuel on the fire. I guess if everyone here were unhappy then there would be no problems. Im sorry, but the reality is some of us are still happy and shouldn't be called arrogant or insulting or accused of demeaning others everytime we post.
Your second post certainly clarifies things - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct you don't know me or anyone else and, frankly, I am very happy that I don't know you.

I do think that you may have bolstered your argument a wee bit more by leaving out the new insult regarding self-esteem, which by the way, mine is in pretty fine shape, thanks for asking.

Why when anyone has a positive - outlook on MT (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Do other posters immediately shoot them down that they are wrong and it's a dying industry, akin to slavery, horrible, etc.?

Just like you get upset that we say that we are having positive experiences, it is just as frustrating and hurtful to be told we're full of it or spoiled or haughty because we happen to have made good career moves or just plain been lucky and are in positions we like doing something that we love.

Everyone has their own unique experience. It is our job to support the ones who want/need to get out, and congratulate the ones who are doing well and possibly learn what they're doing (if we want to stay an MT).
why when anyone is negative, they have self esteem issues - or are slaves, or told to grow up
[ In Reply To ..]
Or move on, or go to school, or are must be unqualified! GEEZ... TWO SIDES TO EVERY PANCAKE DARLIN.
To: Outlook on MT - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have learned that the best thing to do sometimes is to not respond or go back and forth with posters who seem to want to argue.

Sometimes its just best to let them have their last words and move on from the thread. Its not worth arguing over. It speaks volumes when you allow yourself to be the bigger person and walk away.
Why do you have to turn it into a - positive/negative issue all the time?
[ In Reply To ..]
Just answer the darned question asked and move on. Dont you get sick of saying "positive/negative" all day?

This. Exactly this. - You could have taken the words directly from me

[ In Reply To ..]
No enslavement here, either.

Ditto here too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Fair wages, steady work, enjoyable job.

Sorry for those of you who are unhappy or being treated unfairly. I am blessed to be working for a good MTSO with no outsourcing and no VR/SR and pay more than 4cpl.
Positive post with no insults. YAHOOO. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I love your post. I work for cruddy wages but am glad others do not.

I love that you simply posted that you do well and didn't add some snippy comment to those who don't.

Why I am an MT - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have several degrees but got into medical transcription, so I could work from home (at the time dealing with a jealous husband and disabilities). I also do not like office politics.

I have had a very profitable career, working very hard at it.I enjoy the mental stimulation with all the different work types I transcribe and my clients and do not consider myself enslaved whatsoever (except no vacations) and consider myself extremely lucky. I definitely do not make servant wages and make a great living. Yes, I did have a few lean years building my business back up when my largest account went EMR, but I came back up on top and consider it a very good learning experience.

I guess this is my reason for asking - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a lot of free and low-cost ways to learn new skills online or to brush up on skills.

One of the best free tools out there is YouTube. TheNewBoston on YouTube teaches programming skills. Lots of people teach MS Office Suite. Anything you would want to learn is out there for free.

Lynda.com is $25.00 per month, and they have tons of software courses. I took a 7-1/2 hour PowerPoint course. Today I aced my PowerPoint test with a temp agency because of that course.

Khan Academy has math, science, finance, economics and statistics classes free - plus others.

I was just wondering if it was a lack of skills and funds holding anyone down. I've had such a lack of money for years, so I've looked for free ways to learn new skills.

I just wanted to share free stuff with everybody who may be interested. No other motive here.

You guys have some good reasons. I don't have a husband. I'm an MME for M*Modal, so most of the time I'm getting paid .03 per line for my 32 years experience. It kills the self-respect.

I'm just waiting for the temp agency to call, and I'm out of here.

You sound like a really nice person. I work at MModal - MmMt

[ In Reply To ..]
too as an MT and it is good to know there are kind MME's such as yourself working along with the MTs.

Thank you. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks very much for the sites, NM. It's past time to get back up - to speed on basic programs. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Gosh, you are better than 0.03 cpl - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Find a smaller MTSO to work for or obtain your own accounts. Nobody should endure being paid 0.03 cpl.

Attend a local AAMT local chapter meeting and network. A lot of these attendees either own services or have their own accounts and would appreciate help from a qualified MT or are looking to retire and need somebody to take over. They definitely pay more than this! I feel for you... wishing you luck.

Maybe I approached this wrong - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There's no need to feel sorry for me. My situation is that I was dissatisfied with being paid .03 per line so I enrolled in college. Four years later, I now have an Associates degree and a Bachelors in IT. I start my Masters in IT in 4 months.

Through my college process, I learned about all the free educational opportunities which are available, and I thought maybe other MTs may be tired of low pay and would benefit from free skills enhancement.

I think perspective means a lot. If you were making. I live in Texas, and I can assure you that if you are making $35,000 per year and living where I live and are single then you are not able to pay rent, put gas in your car and feed yourself and have any money left over. $35,000 per year would equal $16.82 per hour. That would be equal to 150 lines per hour at 11.25 cents per line. If you are making that much and you are happy with your situation then great.

My daughter makes a 6-figure salary, and that's what I'm shooting for. I'm 54 years old. I didn't start college until I was 50. A few months ago, I started a new business and in 2 years will be teaching at a university.

My point is that receptionist pay in my area is $16.00 an hour. Why settle for .03 a line?

I just thought maybe I could share free ways to raise your income, but it looks like everyone is happy here and doesn't want any change.

I'm getting a temp job which will enable to continue with my Masters degree while running a business on the side.

If there are people losing their homes here then why wouldn't they want to improve their skills with free videos on YouTube or something?
Thanks for your informative post - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
If I were not so injured, I would return back to school. I am fortunate to still be able to make a living (we live in a very expensive area of the country, prime coastline). Congratulations on your new endeavors. I definitely would never, ever work for 3 cpl. EVER. My heart goes out to the MTs stuck working at the "big 3."
Well, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people are taking notes, SM, and thank you. - You know. Most MTs did, are, or will be helping
[ In Reply To ..]
themselves. Don't mistake the type who respond to all suggestions that they might do the same with angry attacks and complaints as being typical. Those're just gas bubbles popping on the surface.

That said, there ARE a number of good competent people who choose not to make changes at all--until and if we're forced to tie our worldly goods on our backs, figuratively speaking, and hit the road. A lot of us, a majority, are nearing retirement (50's a kid) and either waiting to qualify for SS or already on SS and working on top of that. Some do care for their 94-year-old dads, or have their particular version of not being free to "be all they can be." And some suffer from physical or mental issues that may make living in poverty a responsible choice for them--as long as the living part is sustainable. (My lovely friend with anxiety has her home and her garden, and she can't travel or enjoy parties or strolling a mall anyway.)

Even at that, the vast majority of the people coming by will be at least interested in what you say. Just in case. Like me. I have a backup plan I think is viable and quickly implementable, but I do need to develop more facility with standard programs so I can just start working in that line if I have to. So thanks again.

Why I stay - thankful

[ In Reply To ..]
Been at this 13+ years, have always and still make more money working at home as an MT than in the workforce outside the home... yes, I have checked and interviewed around. I do not make slave wages and if/when that time comes I will once again pursue something different. Many of us got started and continue in this profession for the perks of working at home. I've spent more time with my kids and now grandkids, eat breakfast and lunch with my husband, and that is just scratching the surface. I think everyone's experience and pay scale varies... we need to remember we are in all parts of the country, in cities and in the country... all of our opportunities are varied and for those of us who choose to stay, we do so because it (at least for now) works for us and is why I always sign off... thankful.

I continue to be an MT - to be here for my kids

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 3 young kids and I need to be here with them/for them when they need me. One of my sons has type 1 diabetes and needs some extra supervision/help. They are all in school now, and I had planned to go back to work outside of the home, but the school recently cut one of our nurse positions and I sometimes have to run back and forth to the school during the day to check on him, treat low blood sugars, etc. During the summer I have a "mother's helper" who keeps them busy, but I still need to be here to keep an eye on him and make sure he's okay. Maybe I have trust issues, but I have yet to come across someone else who "gets it" and can recognize what my son needs and is able to care for him in a way that I think is appropriate. When I can find something else to do from home or on a flexible schedule or when he is old enough to handle his medical issues on his own, I will leave MT behind without another thought. I've dropped down to part-time so that I can now devote time to learning other things that I can do from home and will hopefully be on my way out soon. It's not a personality issue (other than maybe not trusting someone else to take care of my son, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with that when we have trusted someone else with his care) or lack of self-respect that is keeping me in the MT industry; it's about doing what is best for my kids right now.

totally agree sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
I care for my kids and elderly parent during the day, split MT work 2nd/3rd shifts (employee) at night. There are decent-paying MT positions out there; I personally wouldn't accept a 3-cent rate. I agree, it's about doing what's best for our families/kids (for those who parent, care give).

I don't fit into your box, but I'll still respond - sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still an MT thanks to luck and work relationships that helped make informed decisions. And my place in life right now allows it.

I've been MTing 37 years, started right after high school, and believe it or not, I can count all my employers on one hand.

My current job is straight typing, one account, good work flow, and although my cpl is not what it was 10 years ago, I'm still able to make pretty good money. And I like my schedule. I only have one child still at home (in college) so I don't have distractions or interruptions, which is very important to a good income.

I don't delude myself that this gig is going to last forever. I've had the rug pulled out from under me a couple times, both that had near devastating financial repercussions, the worst being by MedQuist while supporting 2 children on my own, so I know how vulnerable our current environment is and ever worsening, and how no one is immune given the direction MT is going.

And if I was younger and had resources/support to retrain for something else, I definitely would, and would probably recommend anyone under 30 to do so, but I'm in a place in my life where this works for me.

However, I remain empathetic and do understand that the majority of MTs are treated very unfairly... and that I could become a member of that club at any time.

Why I'm an MT - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
I started working in the late 1980s part-time for a little extra money in-house, and really enjoyed it. I was referred by the MT who worked in our department since I had cardiology transcription experience and they needed help. The rest was on-the-job training. I have a degree and was in a cardiology managerial position at the time at a teaching hospital. When the hospital promoted me to my supervisor's position, I realized I made more money as an MT than she did, and went to full-time. That was 20+ years ago and I worked for that company until they closed. I have been with my current employer for a year.

While I miss my last employer (small, personal MTSO, no QA, five weeks vacation, flexible schedule, grossed $50,000+ the last year), I'm grateful that my current one is pretty good too (M-F day hours, paid holidays and sick days, nice people, main accounts are straight typing), especially knowing what this industry has become with monopolizing corporate MTSOs and offshoring.

Why I remain an MT: I have always loved what I do, the bonus of working at home, and being paid for ability instead of a flat rate. I'm a high producer so prefer to be paid by the line rather than hourly. I also have a fun side job as a food writer for a local magazine, so appreciate a job that pays the bills (and insurance!), but still gives me the flexibility to attend weekday media events and restaurant openings related to that.

I do wish the pay was better, VR was more accurate, and our platform more MT-friendly, but I know my company is rare nowadays and am grateful. If my only choice was one of the corporate, low-paying, QA Nazi, stressful companies, I sincerely don't know what I would do. I read these boards and know how bad it is out there, and that it can change in a flash.

I should add that I don't think MTs jump all over a positive post. I DO agree with those who say that the majority of positive posts for some bizarre reason (maybe posted by the same people) include sarcasm and insults such as the "self-respect" remark above, or accuse MTs of being lazy, or whiners, or irresponsible, or "the career isn't for you" if they aren't as happy at their company.

Thank you so much for understanding - not all roses

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad that you are able to see both sides and respect that. How refreshing.

I'm still an MT because I enjoy it and, gosh darn it, I'm kinda good at it :-) - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
I make pretty a pretty good living with a wonderful MTSO and I still enjoy the work that I do for them. Sure, I have my off days, but that's true with just about everything in life.

If I ever get sick of this career, or it vanishes into dust, I know there's other work out there I can do. I don't think I'll ever make this kind of coin with my education though and I'm in no rush to leave it or even THINK about leaving it.

:)

Hayseed love your post!!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Gosh, Hayseed, where ya been? Always enjoyed your posts - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and glad to see you posting again, missed your great insight and humor for sure and always a great deal of just plain ole common sense.

Ya know, we all do things in our life that serve a purpose for that time and being an MT has done that for me. I worked in the field both in-house and remotely and sure don't like what has happened to our industry, though know I have the option to either stay or move on. It served the purpose, just have moved on from working for MTSOs presently. Can't stand the greed. I am always glad to hear other MTs can find positions that suit their needs and kinda feel they kissed a fair amount of frogs and did their time with otherwise questionable companies to find those positions, so good for them. They very likely deserve success financially and otherwise.

Finally a generally great and benevolent set of postings this evening and will always hope we can all stick together in this profession, be helpful in postings and lift each other up.

Wonderful positive post! Keep 'em coming! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Why I'm still at it - SassyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I need the flexibility for another 2 years and then I can start looking for something else. My daughter will be out of high school by then and hopefully driving. Right now I'm able to make a living (although not much) and still be available when she needs to stay after school for a project or I need to be at the school for something. Besides, I like being here when she needs me. I grew up always having one of my parents at home with me (they worked opposite shifts) and I liked that. Being a single mother, being able to be home with her is the best option for us.

Why I'm an MT - happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You sound so bitter toward the entire industry and it sounds like you've had a tough run of it, but I'll tell you why I am an MT.
1. I wanted to be home with my kids.
2. I have health issues that make it difficult for me to work out of the home. As an MT I have never once had to take a sick day, but if I worked outside the home I would probably have been fired for calling in too much.
3. I, too, don't like dealing with office politics or having to work as a team when I really would prefer to work alone.
I have an advanced degree and could be making much more money, I suppose, but the good far outweighs the bad in my case. That's not to say I don't have days where I hate my job, but I don't feel enslaved, I make good wages, and I like the flexibility my job provides me. If I ever get to the point where I can't get through one more day of doing MT work, then I'll move on, or if for some reason the whole industry busts, I'll move on, but for the time being I'm content and have no plans to run. I am sorry to hear so many people hate their jobs so much, and I hope that those people can find something that makes them happy and gets them out of this job they hate so much.

Enjoyed your post.. - just me #1

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen.... I could not have said it better myself. I also admire you for working with your disabilities and can relate, as I am disabled also but work for a living to pay all of my medical expenses instead of "living off the government/handouts." It seems a lot of people I know (not friends but acquaintances) are just looking for handouts, most of whom are healthy young people working the system instead of working an actual job. I am extremely thankful that I am able to continue to work from home and pay for great healthcare. I read so many negative posts here and people complaining they do not make money. Well, I make great money, and almost every cent goes to healthcare (and business overhead). Medical transcription provides me self-esteem in that I make my own way in this world, even if others working the system are making more than me. I make a living honestly. That is priceless.

What discerns me on this board is when you try assist somebody or actually claim to be happy in the transcription industry, you are called a liar. What is with this? Do I have to be miserable like everybody else here in order not to be called some name?

Do you really make that much more money outside of MT. After buying this expensive gas, clothing, e - Just my thinking

[ In Reply To ..]
Just saying gas, clothing, extra food, daycare, etc, would one really make that much more money? Cu - Sarah
[ In Reply To ..]
Money - mt1347
[ In Reply To ..]
No. I had a friend who just did this and after a few months of working in house again, not as MT, but in HIM, clears just a few dollars more on the paycheck. But, I pointed out, the PTO, Ins. and other benes are much better. So, it depends on whether you want to tolerate a commute in all kinds of weather, whether you have kids at home, family members who need your help, etc.

you start with a skewed attitude - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not feel enslaved, nor that I have a lack of self-respect. This job helped me support my whole family and put a child through school to a doctorate degree. I love the medical terminology and the craft (yes, craft) as it fits my personality, attention to detail, ability to make judgment calls, and making the dictation look professional. In days gone by, we were given a lot more lattitude with a report, sometimes even creating the reports from a chart rather than from dictation. We also had relationships with the doctors and they respected us, vs the remote transcription where we deal only with the middle man. I don't like where the industry has gone, but I am free to move on if I choose. Bottom line: I like the work.

MT work - mt1347

[ In Reply To ..]
I like working at home and not dealing with office politics and the gossip, donating to bridal and baby showers for people I don't really know, etc. I like not having the woman in the cubicle next door having her kids or her boyfriend there, talking the entire time that I'm trying to work and the manager doing absolutely nothing about the disturbance. I like not walking into the office and smell a burning coffee pot that someone was too lazy to burn off or left 1/25th of an ounce in the bottom so they wouldn't have to make a new pot. I love that my commute is from my shower to my computer table - about 30 feet. I love that I don't have to wear makeup, pantyhose or good clothes to work. I love that I can take a break every report if I need to, or I can work straight 8 hours without a break when I'm humming. I love the independence and I think that's what makes for a happy MT - people who are extremely social don't do well in this job because it takes independence and individuality to do it well, esp. from an at home environment. I don't like the pay, it's about half or less than I used to make, but I can't do anything about that. Right now, it suits me well enough. I make an effort not to compare MT now with MT 25 years ago - I type reports every day about people who are near suicidal or homicidal because they have lost their jobs and have been unemployed for months or even years. I make the choice to be grateful that i have a job to grouse about. I'm not a cockeyed optimist, but focusing on what isn't there does not do you any good.

Well said MT1347. THIS is the attitude to have! nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why I stay - Cause I love it

[ In Reply To ..]
After 35 years, I still love it. I'm paid fairly. I have plenty of work. I have fantastic supervisors. I hold a master's degree in another field but am working as an MT because it pays better. When and if that changes for me, I have my degree to fall back on. But for now, I still love it. (BTW, my self-esteem is just fine :))

Self-esteem issues are apparently reserved for those of us not "doing great" at MT. LOL. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
at least that was my interpretation of the "insult."

So if you are one of the few still making good money, you are not lumped in with the large MTSO "slaves" who apparently have the aforementioned lack of self-esteem.

I like to hear there may be hope for this profession from people still doing well. I would just prefer to hear they are doing well and leave off the implication that those MTs who aren't must be somehow inferior.

Great discussion - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Although I am leaving the field, I do not regret having gone into MT. I just was not able to find the right MT niche, and after trying 4 different companies, I have finally decided it is time to move on. I would love my current situation if we had more work. When I first started with this company and we were busier, I loved MT. One thing I am very thankful for with regard to my current situation is that I will still be able to work while I go to school. The flexibility is awesome. I love not commuting and not having to spend a lot of money on gas. I love having my dogs at my feet when I work. I love being able to get up and let them out any time. I love being home. I was never bothered much by office politics or people, though, and I actually miss being around people each day. I am going to enjoy getting back out there with people. For me the perks of MT no longer outweigh what I am able to make at my current situation with our work flow, and I am not willing to go to work editing VR for 4 cpl. I love my MT company, but we are simply too slow for full-time MT.

Curious - Gertrude

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you presume too much. I am not enslaved. I make $34 an hour (straight transcription) and I am an employee, so I have benefits as well. I have a 12-hour window to do my work. Enslaved? I hardly think so.

In it because... - hk

[ In Reply To ..]
I stay because it's better than the alternative. I like working at home, knowing what is expected of me each day and basically being left alone to focus on the task. I don't have to waste time mingling with coworkers or kissing up to a sadistic office boss to stay out of the line of fire. I don't have to commute. I can take lunch whenever I please, or not at all if the jobs are good and I'm on a roll. I can take leg-stretching breaks with my 2 dogs out in the yard when my back and knees start hurting.

The pay isn't great. I'm lucky to live in an area where the cost of living is low by national standards. I'm single, no kids, just the 2 dogs who love that I'm a stay at home mom. Do I give up some of my free time and days off to make my line count and make up time from slow days? Yes. Am I in a job where I can never expect a raise or advancement? Yes. Do I sometimes get discouraged that if I had a house payment and car payment, I'd be destitute? Yes. But this jobs fits me. Fits my schedule and personality. Fits what I want and need for now.

I know from reading these boards that there are people sinking in this profession. Could I be next? Of course. But I'm writing this not as an "in your face" to those struggling, but for those of us who want to hear the good side. That it is okay to be "lucky," and to be thankful and content if you are.

Some like to commiserate about how bad things are. I've done that myself on here. Sometimes, though, it's good to share in the positives.

I've thought about pushing the panic button and getting out of this profession, but I'm going to have to stay until I'm pushed out. The job market is so bad, the thought of starting all over in another field, classes, training, time to developed another skill, turns my stomach.

Yeah it's not bliss. But as my wise ole mom says, "That's why it's called a J-O-B." So I'm in it still because it is a JOB and if the best I can do is make ends meet and enjoy the simple things, I'll take it right now.

Similar Messages:

Just Curious, Did Anyone At DTS
Dec 29, 2009

Did any DTS employees get a Christmas gift, bonus or even a card this year?  (obviously I didn't) ...

Just Curious....how Many Of You
Jan 18, 2010

would actually like working over-time on an every single week basis, not just occasionally, but EVER SINGLE WEEK, cutting into your life and trying to plan things around this extra work.  I wouldnt mind once in awhile, but weekly mandatory is killing me.  Opinions welcome! ...

Curious To Know What Others Are Using For
Sep 10, 2010

internet search engine. I have found that Google is causing serious slow down of the computer since upgrading to 6.1 and wondering if this could be the culprit of the problems with 6.1 as when I switched from Google to other search engines I am not having the slow DQS 6.1 problem. Support suggested this when they tried to fix the problems I was having.  I want to know what others have found to be a good search engine for MT other than Google. I don't know why Google would have any ...

MQ CURIOUS
Jan 17, 2011

With FTR still in play and all the other requirements made of us highly-paid MTs, when ASR 4 cpl goes into effect in February, does that mean 3 cpl would still be deducted if our "performance" had to be improved?  Would that mean 1 cpl or, as an example, if an MT produced 1000 ASR lines in one day, would that MT make $10 for a day's work?  TIA ...

I'm Curious About Something - Sm
Feb 20, 2011

Everytime I post a question asking about OSi/Nuance I don't get any answers.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks for your help. ...

Curious About UE
Jul 13, 2011

I have always worked as an employee and about a month ago went to work as an IC, however, the company has now gone under and was wondering since I was an IC at the time, does that mean I cannot get unemployment or can I qualify because I worked as an employee up until a month ago?  Thanks for any advice. ...

Just Curious, How Many Are Doing The F11
Sep 01, 2011

on every ASR report today? ...

Just Curious To Know
Nov 09, 2011

If you had access to an education in any field of your choice and wanted to completely leave transcription, what field would you choose?  (This is not a trick question, just something I have wondered about.  Me, I would choose engineering.) ...

Curious To Know
Jan 05, 2012

Are there any Andrews MT grads out there who cannot land a job, feel unprepared for work, or hate MT?   ...

Just Curious--how Did We All Get Here?
Feb 01, 2012

I had never even heard of medical transcription until 4 years ago when I was invited to a "graduation party" by a friend who had finished her online MT course. How did everyone else get started in this business, both vets and newbies? What was it like before telecommuting opened this field up to so many people? ...

Just Curious - What Are You Doing To Get Yourself
May 30, 2012

x ...

Really Curious
Jun 13, 2012

Are so many of you intent on being miserable that those of us who are not miserable and who are actually doing well are called liars? Why are we "rubbing it in" when we share that there are good gigs out there, that we have one and that we are doing well and yet when you are all spreading your misery, hate, and discontent you're "just telling the truth?" If you're working for a company that pays crap, is it then the company's fault or yours that you don't have a better job? ...

OTI- I'm Just Curious And Would Like To Know If Anyone Else At OTI
Feb 25, 2013

gets the feeling they are trying to get you to quit.  ...

Curious About Something
May 22, 2013

When I was hired to this field a million years ago,,,there was flexibility and no vacation days. To me it was a trade off. Now, I have vacation days and the pay is lowered, so I can't afford to go anywhere. Are people willing to say, hey, I'll trade paid vacation for flexibility and better pay? ...

Curious About Something,,,again
May 28, 2013

As I just got of a dictation with variable volumes and of course the eventual hang up with the loud dial tone, seems to me we could make a real good case for a worker's comp hearing loss problem. Not so much to collect now but to make an argument that they need to fix the volume on the system and maybe actually train the doctors to dictate correctly or be liable for lawsuits before we all go deaf. Too late for me, the ringing is staggering at this point. Thoughts anyone ...

Curious About EMR
Nov 26, 2013

Can anyone who has done EMR records tell me, is it that much different than transcribing a document?  The ads that I see where they are hiring for EMR usually want experienced, but doesnt the experience just have to do with learning the platform?  I would love to learn to do EMR, thats why I'm asking.  I'm very experienced in transcription, been a QA for 9 years even, so the transcription part is no concern for me, I'm thinking it is just learning the system, am I r ...

I Am SO Curious!
Mar 26, 2014

Our hospital just went with M*Modal.  We are getting laid off in a couple of months. I am curious to know the answer to this question.  We have three doctors that stand out way ahead of the rest of our doctors with their HORRIBLE dictation.  I MEAN HORRIBLE! However, I have no problem doing the dictation only b/c I have done their work for almost 17 years.  How many transcriptionists or editors or whatever will those particular reports go through when sent to M*Modal before t ...

I Am Curious About Something. Why Would One
May 31, 2014

"friend" tell another their place of employment was great more than likely knowing that when the friend finds out, they will know it is not great.  I can only think of a referral bonus, but I did not think those were given anymore. ...

Curious If RW/JR Still Here?
Mar 21, 2015

Can anybody tell me if RW n JR still here? ...

Just Curious
Jun 01, 2015

Question for QC friends.   Have you resigned yet? I have.  ...

Is Anyone Happy At MQ, Wow. Just Curious
Nov 10, 2009

Been an MT for 12 or so years and I realize what everyone is going through.  Yes line counts are bad, money is bad, but I think every company is the same.  I have been through so many myself.  But we all have a job and that is good right now.  I just want to hear something good about MQ is there anything anyone can tell me. ...

Curious About Pay Structures
Dec 30, 2009

I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years and on my current account for almost 2.  Recently a LOT of changes have happened at the acct. manager level, and everybody is looking to me for help getting things under control and have also started asking me to do QA.  However, I still get paid to type by the line and a flat rate per report QA'ed.  I find I can't make ANY money doing QA since its a flat rate and I don't get paid at all to help people answer questions.&nb ...

Curious - Have Questions
Feb 10, 2010

I have a few questions about VR. Does the dictation translated by VR need limits on how fast the dictation is spoken, or can the audio be slowed down to accomodate? On what sort of dictation will VR not work? If you use VR presently, do you feel you could transcribe and proof faster uisng straight transcription instead? If you have experience with VR, how confident are you that VR will eventually be used for all medical dictation? I find it interesting that VR is pushed so much more in our ...

Curious. Those With No Work....
Aug 11, 2010

I see MQ'ers here complaining a lot about having no work and even asking if they can get unemployment. I'm curious why you don't go to another company when you have no work, or go to another company rather than try to get unemployment? Why stay with a company you obviously hate so much? ...

Anyone Know Anything About ProScript? Just Curious
Sep 08, 2010

I haven't heard much about them. ...

Also Curious About When They Ask For Proof Of
Oct 28, 2011

elibility to work here in the US.  What do they need to see to prove I can work here? ...

So, Ok, Starting A New Job And Curious To Know,
Apr 26, 2012

or just that of a few companies out on an anallimb, because after many years in the buisness, this the first time it was asked of me -- to get my IDs witnessed and notarized.  Just wondering what's up with that?  Overprotective or wave of the future?   ...

Just A Curious Thing...
Jul 26, 2012

Okay, I'm sure this is just a telemarketing coincidence of some sort, even though I'm also on the do-not-call list; however, last night I arrived home to find a message from JP Morgan (so said my caller ID anyway) something about some important information, and to please call them back at a number they left and refer to number "tree, tree, tree" something or other.  The person is such a heavy (female) ESL that I can barely decipher ANYTHING being said.  Sure, I'm gonna g ...

Curious Question
Aug 08, 2012

I have kind of a silly question I can't seme to find the answer to. I need to know how to add a note to the dr on a transcription. Is it as simple as just sticking a post it on the report? ...

I Am Curious If Anyone Who Has Asked Has Ever
Sep 02, 2012

received a response as to why they were not given a job or even given the chance to test.  I never have.  ...