A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

sentence spacing - mj

Posted: Nov 19, 2009

HI, I need to know if there are supposed to be 2 spaces between sentences. I was always taught in word there was one. I need to know because I edit.

the newest version is: one space, it's cheaper! Ask your employer how he wants it..nm - spacing

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Ask your employer/client. Some use 2, some 1. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

sentence spacing - mj - Andie

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi MJ,

I have 3+ years experiencing working as a pscyhiatric medical transcriptionist, and we are told to only do 1 space between sentences. Also, while in a Medical Transcription program at a community college, I was taught to only do 1 space as well. I feels there's no need to do 2 spaces. Hope this helps:-)

THANX - mj

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do 1, but now I am told to do 2. this is confusing

Just like anything else, it is all client preference. I am old - ht

[ In Reply To ..]
school and have used 2 for 25+ years. It is hard to change to 1 for the few clients that want it.

It's important to remember that many "rules," SM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
of punctuation, grammar, and formatting are no more than preferences in style, chosen (like clothes) to suit personality and situation. That's why large newspapers issue "style books" to their writers laying out the set of rules they've chosen for their publication.

Similarly for us, as others have said, it's all client preference, with some instruction from the MTSO as well, leaving us to cruise serenely from one style to another as we move from account to account and employer to employer.

BTW, all 3 VR programs I worked with were programmed for one space, so that's what I do with all dictation for those accounts, VR or transcribed, for consistency.

All Space Questions Go to NASA - Marc Weeks

[ In Reply To ..]
Two spaces used to be the norm until proportional spacing (like Times New Roman) began to be used, then one space became the preference.

I think that's what AHDI says.

As long as my MTSO wants me to proofread anything, - Im typing 2 spaces between.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing 2 spaces for far to long to do it the other way, and 1 space, in addition to being a lot harder to read, just plain looks tacky - like it was typed by a machine. I certainly don't intend to dumb down my work so it "blends" better with VR.

Similar Messages:

Is Everyone Else's MQ ASR End-of-sentence Spacing 1 Space
Jun 29, 2011

after the period or 2 spaces? The accounts I do have only 1 space after the period rather than the usual 2 spaces. I notice that on the final patient copy there are 2 spaces after the period. Makes me suspicious of possible line count manipulation. I am sure that I am probably losing a lot of money over time not getting paid for that space. ...

Would You Capitalize Restess Leg Syndrome In A Sentence, If It Does Not Start The Sentence?
Nov 20, 2009

nm ...

Help - ASR Spacing
Dec 23, 2010

I just got an unfamiliar account.  The ASR is only showing 1 space after periods.  Am I supposed to leave it or add a space.  One space is a rip-off! ...

Spacing
Jul 27, 2011

I got assigned a new account this week - great - first week of cut in pay and now I have to deal with this yet too.  I noticed someone was reading my reports today - I don't know if it was a routine audit or just because I'm new to it - whatever - the QA person made just an FYI, very nicely, that Medquist wanted 2 spaces after a period.  I was under the impression that it got changed on the back end when it got sent on to the hospital somehow and it didn't matter.  Why then on ...

Help? ASR Spacing After Periods?
Oct 21, 2011

I have always double spaced my reports when I transcribed unless the client profile told me otherwise.  I have noticed most of my ASR reports are single spaced and some are double, even on the same client.  What is the standard for spacing regarding ASR?  Thanks guys!  I couldn't get any email back on what is what! ...

Spacing Issue
Jun 04, 2013

I'm having a problem when I use templates over and over, cutting and pasting. It's creating extra spaces in the documents. Has anyone else ever had this issue? ...

Spacing..anyone Else Having This Problem
Jul 07, 2014

A lot of times when I use and expansion at the end of a line, it automatically will pull the expansion and sometimes several words before it down to the next line..Makes the spacing look terrible on my end, wondering if it fixes itself in the upload. I have checked my expansions and there are no spaces or anything in there that I can see that would cause this. ...

Help! How Do I Fix The Line Spacing In The Report? N/m
Feb 02, 2010

xxx ...

Cardia Spacing? - In The Knee
Feb 27, 2010

I'm working on x-rays and this doc keeps repeating the same word the same way.  It's in regards to the knee and he says - Cardia spacing well maintained.  I cannot find that anywhere.    Has anyone ever heard of it? ...

Line Spacing In Word 7
Nov 22, 2013

I have not typed in Word 7 in several months.   I have a job now and when I type in Word I get a space and a half when I hit enter.  I have changed the paragraph to single, removed lines before and after paragraph, but it still does that.   Any advice?? ...

OK This Spacing After The Periods Is Getting To Be A Pain
Feb 25, 2014

I would just leave it as is,,but there is no continuity within the reports, sometimes 1 sometimes 2. Same with colons. Now I have to check every single period, if it is at a margin, it is a real pain. This is why I firmly believe we are sll editing some foreigners work on a regular basis. I never too the editor test, I want no part of it. ...

Spacing After Q/A Marker Period.
Jun 17, 2015

Don't want to call support if I don't have to -- does someone know how I can make the period after a Q/A marker stay put when I key in spaces?  Right now, it moves along putting the spaces in front of the period.  Growl!!! ...

Questions About Automatic Spacing Settings
Nov 02, 2014

Clicking on link below shows you how to easily change automatic spacing settings from 1  to 2 spaces after a period and reverse when you have different requirements for different accounts. ...

What Is The Keyboard Short Cut To Use When The Spacing Goes All Wonky?
Jun 17, 2015

nm ...

Microsoft Word 2007 - Double Spacing Issue
Mar 04, 2010

I hope I have this on the right board.  I have a test to take in Microsoft word and it's "double spacing" and I can't see how to get it to single space.  Anyone know how???  Thanks in advance everyone. ...

Word 2010 Character Spacing Problem Question. . .
Apr 17, 2011

I now have a new computer and I am using Word 2010 to send files to the lady I work for, where I previously used Word 2003 - she says when she receives my files now the spacing between words is a lot, not normal, when it looks totally normal on my end, I don't know how to fix this, may have to go back to using the old computer and Word 2003, but that makes no sense.  Anyone know how to fix this? ...

Instant Text - Auto Spacing Quit Working
Dec 22, 2014

I've tried shutting down.  It works here,  but not with Word.  Can anyone help?  Of course,  I need to actually do typing today when I normally just QA.... Thanks.   ...

Sentence Help ..
Nov 12, 2009

He was placed on levodopa therapy. With this, both him and his wife noticed his gait improved as well as the tremor. He has actually run out of this over the last 4 or 5 days and it may be a little bit of worsening.    That is typed as dictated, I am stumped as to cleaning it up. Also.. 'both him and his wife' does not sound right to me? or is it right. ...

Does This Sentence Look Right?
Nov 13, 2009

There is no weakness, overt numbness, loss of balance, loss of bowel or bladder, speech difficulties, visual difficulties, or lateralizing weakness. ...

Help With Sentence?
Nov 18, 2009

The next step is to obtain a CPK previous and then 1 after exercise.   Would you change 'previous' to before? ...

Help With A Sentence...do I Have It Right?
Feb 12, 2010

Here's what I hear...Evaluation for elective thymectomy in displacement with myasthenia gravis.  Not sure if it sounds like "in" or "and".  Which is correct?  Thanks for any help! ...

Help With Sentence
Mar 02, 2010

He had multiple facial fractures including bilateral  number three fracture, ligament injury in C7-T1, left hand fracture, T9 compression fractures, multiple rib fractures, right clavicular fracture, and left second metacarpal fracture.  Does this make any sense?  I have no idea what a number three fracture is, but he says it pretty clearly. ...

I'm Not Sure What To Do With This Sentence...
May 14, 2010

I'm transcribing a dictation by an Asian doctor and I'm unsure what to do with this sentence. I'm pretty sure it is exactly what he is saying.  "...drainage from her right ear 2-3 days ago. This happened after her swimming 2-3 days or had all this drainage."  The part I'm unsure about is after the first period.  Thanks in advance for any ideas!! ...

Another Sentence Help
Jul 21, 2010

does this make sense: She is now really reliving true abuse, and we will work with her. ...

Not Sure About This Sentence?
Dec 26, 2010

Heart rate PS1 S2, somewhat irregular. not sure if I am hearing Heart rate or something else... ...

REALLY??? Next Sentence
Nov 18, 2011

ok, so I had a 20-minute dictation by a DOCTOR, albeit a resident, but still...he actually said "next sentence" at the end of EVERY SENTENCE.  I just want to type verbatim for ONE DAY... ...

Sentence
Jul 26, 2012

The infant has a history of Don A Barro syndrome.  Sorry I did not put it in sentence form last time.  Thank you. ...

Take Out Repeat Sentence?
Oct 15, 2009

Peripheral neuropathy. I am going to go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test.   Ulnar neuropathy. He is tentatively scheduled, according to his report, to have decompression done by Dr. Labosky.   I am going go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test. ...

How Would You Word This Sentence?
Oct 19, 2009

Abdominal CT showed atherosclerotic changes in the aorta, multilobulated mass in the iliopsoas muscle hematoma, and extensive sigmoid diverticulosis but no diverticulitis.   TIA!!! ...

How To Word This Sentence?
Oct 30, 2009

When first seen, she had a very clear right-sided rest tremor, decreased right arm swing, and a right with gait, fairly significant posture instability, and mild increased tone on the right side with an otherwise normal exam. ...